Author Topic: compression vest...how long?  (Read 2891 times)

Offline Bubble

• Posting Member
Currently 3 weeks post op (levick), had compression vest on for for 10 days, how much longer should I wear it?

Offline Taz

• Bronze Member
  • Free at last
I was told to wear it from 3 weeks continuously, and then for a further 3 weeks at night only.  

Offline John1984

• Bronze Member
  • Surgery done, all good
What's the actual purpose of the compression vest?  I thought it was to do with keeping swelling down.
I'm 1 week post-op and I have no swelling whatsoever.  All the bruises have almost cleared up as well.  Is that normal?!  Or am I just in super-amazing good health, being the young and well-nourished chap that I am...?
Surgery performed on 29th March by Mr. Mark Gittos
Pre-Op Pictures: http://uk.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/j0hn_1984/album?.dir=/91c8
Post-Op pictures coming as soon as I can work out how to use my camera

Offline littlesmurf

My doc doesn't see the point of compression vests and didn't advice me to have one.  As a result the cavity left behind from the surgery has filled with lymphatic fluid (normal apparently).  I think the main advantage of using the vest is it stop there being a cavity for the lymphatic fluid to build up in.  From that alone I wish I had gone that route but at 10 days the fluid is starting to be absorbed back into my system.

Hope that helps.

P.S. for me fluid buildup has mainly occured at night, another good reason to wear a vest at night.

Offline williamdave

• Posting Member
Karidis advised me to wear vest for 10 days night and day post op, then 2-3 weeks either at day or night.

Offline Kk

• Posting Member
I was under the impression the vest was also to help the tissue to stretch itself, by holding it in place or something... I guess it's less necessary if the gyne wasnt too severe in the first case...

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024