Author Topic: Surgery On Wednesday 12th September - Now with Photos & story...  (Read 10093 times)

Offline Bigdom

• Silver Member
Off to Barcelona on Wednesday for a little nip & tuck and a bit of suction.  Cannot wait too get rid of this affliction now.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2007, 08:21:12 AM by Bigdom »

Offline Bob1981

• Silver Member
Good luck mate, I hope to be doing the same myself soon!  I emailed them yesterday asking for a consultation appointment and Dr.Benito gave me the number of his secretary to arrange things.  +346 06 95 33 31, is this a UK number?  Or Spanish?

Offline Bigdom

• Silver Member

That's the Spanish number.  UK is 0207 7224 1010

http://www.cosmeticsurgeryabroad.org/index3.htm

To date their service has been great.

Offline outertrial

I had a good experience with Dr Benito. Not least of all the results.

I was impressed by how smoothly it all went on the day. Especially after they gave me the valium  :)

Offline Bob1981

• Silver Member

Cheers for that I'll give them a ring tomorrow.  Do they do appointments at the weekend, do you know?  It may be difficult to get time of work.  As for the surgery, I'll need to book two weeks holiday and try and get the surgery done as close to the start as possible, so I'm as healed as much as possible before returning.

Offline Bigdom

• Silver Member
Sorry, not sure about weekend appointments, although he definately does them on a Friday......maybe a sickie??  It's a valid reason afterall!!!

Offline Paddy

• Posting Member
Good luck on Wednesday matey..
You will be a week to the day after me, so I hope it goes ok for you as well. a week after for me and I guess its going ok - swelling on both sides, bruising still making itself known. I bruise quite easily. more mobility coming back etc etc...\

The hospital is nice, very nice place. If you can, try and pick up some spanish words - nurse please etc... most of them do speak english, but its the people who you need to communicate with to see the nurses that don't

travel well and good luck!!!!

Offline Bigdom

• Silver Member
I didn't realise i bruised easily until i had major back surgery when i was 18.  I had bruises that resembled being in a car crash, evidently they cannot take the risk of you moving when playing near your spinal cord....

Swelling....how much are we talking here...same chest pre op?   

More mobility, sounds good.  I have a wedding on Saturday week so it would be nice not to be a creaking raspberry.   

Did you manage to leave the hospital when you were there, or too much discomfort.  I love Barcelona so would like to go and have a meal down in the harbour, although i feel i might be pushing it.

Are you back driving yet?

Offline Bob1981

• Silver Member

Make that 020 7224 1010.  One extra 7 there.  Their office opening times are 9.30-5, by the way.   ;D

Offline Bigdom

• Silver Member

You've just passed the first test...... still cannot believe i did such a school boy error. 

It's not as i've i lived in London area all my life............ ;)

Offline Paddy

• Posting Member
About the swelling - no, definitely not. I am still mooby but remember its only about 6 days after now for me. To be honest, my nipples have never got back to the same size, so thats reassuring. I can feel some swishing in there as well and when I life down the fluid seems to disappear - which the doc said it would. So I am confident that it will sort itself out so that I am more confident. The bruising on the left is starting to sort itself out as well. the left is about 2ce the size of the right, which is frustrating, but as i say, i think its going down..

Matey - I was WRECKED on wednesday, and pretty stiff on thursday and all i could manage was a trip up and down the hall. I left pretty early on Friday, though that took a lot oout of me. If I were to do it again (which I really hope no, I won't) then I would stay a couple of days in barca. Howver Bigdom - everyone is different, you might be up and about in no time. Saturday week. I reckon you will be ok and ready to go. Don't put too much pressure on yourself.

I don't drive, though I was back to work today, no bother! I am keeping a low profile for a while socially though.

P

I didn't realise i bruised easily until i had major back surgery when i was 18.  I had bruises that resembled being in a car crash, evidently they cannot take the risk of you moving when playing near your spinal cord....

Swelling....how much are we talking here...same chest pre op?   

More mobility, sounds good.  I have a wedding on Saturday week so it would be nice not to be a creaking raspberry.   

Did you manage to leave the hospital when you were there, or too much discomfort.  I love Barcelona so would like to go and have a meal down in the harbour, although i feel i might be pushing it.

Are you back driving yet?

Offline Bob1981

• Silver Member
I'm quite worried I won't be able to fit it in.  I was planning to give myself two weeks holiday, in which to have the surgery and be on the way to recovery.  However, I work in a rather physical job and I'm worried I won't be ready to return.  What could I say to my employers?  Sorry, could I take it easy for a week or two, as I've had boob surgery!?  :-\

Offline Bigdom

• Silver Member
Here's my Story.....

Got up and arrived at Gatwick at around 5am.  Checked through the convoluted check-in procedures, and headed for some breakfast as had been told no food or drink after 7am UK time.  Thought about the usual pre-flight drink, but passed on that.  Headed to Garfunkels and had a condemned man’s meal of Steak.   In the meantime kept sipping water until it went out of fashion.  Boarded the squeezy jet flight, arrived at Barcelona in one piece, albeit with an aborted landing as another plane was mucking about on the runway….

Once we had got through customs and baggage, gave Aida a call as the driver wasn’t there, after a little confusion caused by the original driver crashing and the back-up driver being at arrivals ‘B’ and us at arrivals ‘A’ we were on our way.  Arrived at the hospital, it’s only been open around a month, so outside is having finishing touches.  The hospital is very impressive, check-in including blood tests etc was very swift, and I was soon in the room.  The room had a bed, a sofa bed for the missus’ and en-suite shower room.  There is a multimedia TV, however no English channels, so you really need to take your own entertainment, luckily we had.

Aida was available for the main bits, had blood pressure taken, an ECG (evidently standard practice in Spain and started at school, and used as a preventative measure).  Was given a gown, unfortunately being 6’ 5” and the Spanish being short, this didn’t cover my crown jewels, lucky I had back-up pants.  Dr Benito came in, drew over my chest, answered a few questions and left.  I had a shower, trying not to rub of the drawing (be a good idea to have showered first instead of relaxing on the bed).   One of the nurses came in, gave me a pill, I nodded off for a while, and then it was time to go down.

The porter took me down to the theatre area, the bed/trolley is in two halves and they slide the bed bit through a hole in a wall.  They take cleanliness here very seriously unlike the state of most British hospitals.  Went through to pre-med, few more tests, checked the ECG tests, blood tests etc, a needle in the hand, bit of sedative, next thing recovery room.  They made sure my pain was under control before they allowed me back to the room.  Dr Benito came in to see how I was, and commented it went fine.

Back up, a little uncomfortable, otherwise fine.  Intravenous drips, one with a sugar/salt food mix, another with antibiotics & sickness suppressant.  Both are checked regularly throughout the night.  Didn’t sleep too badly and pain was well under control.  The next day, food was fine, although bland as some people suffer with sickness following a general anaesthetic; I don’t so sent the other half for more flavoursome food.  Dr Benito came in around 8am, looked at the drainage bottles, stated everything looked fine, and would be back later to remove the bandage and bottles.  I was told I need to get up and walk around.  So after the nurses had removed the IV lines out of my hand, got dressed, strapped the drainage bottles to my combat styled shorts and went for a wander up and down the ward.

Dr Benito came back in the afternoon (thought my gun slinging drainage bottle quite funny), removed the bandage…I’m glad I’m not hairy!  Next the drainage (these are under vacuum pressure) the first one coming out was one of the most unpleasant experiences I’ve had in a while, the second is a doddle as the pressure in the body has gone by then.  If you’ve scuba dived, you’ll know what I mean.  I was pleased with the chest contour, even taking into consideration the swelling.  Next the compression vest.  Now as mentioned, I'm quite big, used to play a far amount of sport and have quite a large frame, albeit I’ve lost muscle definition, I was amazed to be and it was fairly painful being squeezed into a medium sized compression vest although needed Dr Benito and the missis (evidently need to wear between 1 & 4 months dependant on how my skin contracts and the fluid moves).  26 eye hooks, three rows so as time goes by the compression can be kept uniform as swelling goes down, the chest area has double strength panels.

Rest of the day watched around 5 films, read a few mags, got a bit bored (evidently a good sign), the nurses came in periodically with oral drugs (pain, antibiotics’ and sickness suppressant).  Evening meal was better, a tapas selection.  Meals come approx 9.30, 13.30, 17.00 & 20.00.   That’s night sleep was restricted by the vest, but swelling had reduced quite significantly by Friday morning.  Was checked out given some pills, Thrombocid cream (brings out the bruises etc) spoke with Aida and had our driver back to airport.  Flight was fine, and ride home from Airport not too uncomfortable.  Now Saturday morning, off the pain killers and swelling is reduced.  Bruising looks OK and not really an issue, entry wounds are tiny and highlighted on one of the photos.

Last night (Friday) gave myself a massage with the cream, the slopping feeling of fluid moving and hopefully moving out my chest area was an interesting experience.  Second nights sleep in the vest was a lot easier, swelling has come down a lot already and although I’ve lost a few sizes with the compression vest on, I like my new t-shirt styled chest area..

Overall good experience, definitely their levels of care is on par (if not higher) than UK.  This includes both NHS & Bupa experience. The main hospital staff speak a little English, although it’s not really a major issue, and quite funny sometimes.  Would I do it again, yes in a shot.  Would I recommend, without a shadow of a doubt as from the initial consult in Harley Street, emails and operation cannot be faulted.  I need to book my first check-up for October, then one a few months after.  All covered in the original £2500 fee.  Add on Squeezy Jet for us both, a 30 euro a night charge for the misses to stay in the hospital room, and parking at short stay Gatwick (I wasn’t going to walk/take a bus) It would be around £2675 all in.

Post op front looks odd....that's the missus' taking the photo at an odd angle.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2007, 10:05:52 AM by Bigdom »

Offline Johnny Wishbone

• Posting Member
Good report - this Benito really seems to know his shizzle. Another success in the making!

Offline Paddy

• Posting Member
Nice one fella. Well done...
good luck with the healing. Hope to post some day 7 and 10 pics tomorrow, so you can see how things are going on my side...

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024