Author Topic: Breast tissue removal techniques  (Read 4114 times)

Offline steveo78

Hi

I'm looking to have gyno surgery done and am looking for the technique which will leave less visible scarring. 

Most plastic surgeons I have talked to only remove breast tissue via a hemicircular incision under the nipples but I have recently read (on this forum) that some surgeons are using lipo suction to remove the gland.

Can someone give me some extra information on how these procedures work?  Is there a special tool use which "shreds" the gland before it is suctioned off?   I have read of various entry points for this procedure, under the armpit, under the nipple and on the crease line of the pecs. 

Could anyone outline the pros and cons of these different entry points please.

Offline Bigdom

• Silver Member
It's called Power assisted lipo, although i'm sure i may be wrong with the correct terminology now.  Basically, they can have a tool as part of the cannula tube that has a cutting tool attached.  US patent from 2001 attached.

http://www.patentstorm.us/patents/6258054-description.html

Not sure if this is the same process being used in the UK/Europe, but was in 2003 in USA

http://cancernews.mediwire.com/main/Default.aspx?P=Content&ArticleID=75817

Dr Benito uses a form of this machine (not sure about the water bit), and hopefully will give me the desired results when i have surgery on Wednesday this week. 

If i get the same results as Outertrial i will be more than happy.  Evidently i'm 25% Gland, 75% Fat  :-[

Offline Bigdom

• Silver Member

Umm...Sorry to hear that. 

I will find out what technique he uses on Wednesday, and will let you know. 

Offline steveo78

Is this the same techniques that Dr Levick and Dr. Karidis are using?  As I believe they remove breast tissue without make incisions around the nipple?

Anyone?

Offline Bigdom

• Silver Member
As far as i'm been told, it's a small incision from around the armpit area. I have a few scars already so i'm not overly concerned.

If, by chance, anything happens that leads to internal bleeding....(it's a minor risk after all) i have already been advised they will go in by the nipple area to correct as this is where the main blood vessels are, and it's easier to treat.

Offline Bigdom

• Silver Member
Forgot to ask pre-op, have now found out the 'technique' Dr Benito uses following my month post op appointment.

Firstly he uses lipo to contour the chest area, this then isolates the 'gland', the lipo is done to create a honeycomb matrix reducing the fat size and structure, though also alleviating the chance of skin adhesion to the muscle area during the recovery process. 

Next he uses the same tool they use on Knee ops which they use to slice pieces of cartilage away (advantage of having worked in a general hospital and being exposed to new machines).  Evidently hard gland has nearly the same consistency and it allows him to be very accurate on what is removed and what is left behind, and avoids the possibility of collapse in the nipple area.  It also removes the chance of 'pockets' being formed from large lumps just being removed with nothing behind them. 

This process takes him a lot longer to perform than other ways of doing the 'op', it gives better results, quicker healing and less scarring (mine will be smaller than the zero on my keyboard).  So far, I personally have to agree. 

Offline IT100

• Gold Member
  • Gyne Removed by Levick 17/03/04
When I had my op with levick 3.5 years ago... He drew for me on paper what the tools would look like that he used.

So he had the lypo straw thing... looked harmless enough.

But also... imagine a litter picker... with the handle and operating handle on one end of the bar... and jaws at the other end that you can operate. Except these jaws were serated and more siscor like! Scary! Glad he only drew it!

Anyway.... basically he sticks that in there... cuts everything up, and pulls it out! Then sucks out the rest.

Don't worry... you'll be asleep!

But thats who he does it through that small hole.

Ian

Offline outertrial

Hows it going Bigdom? Had mine in March and Im very happy with the results. Still a bit tender around the nipple area so guess its still healing.

Offline Bigdom

• Silver Member
So far so good i think. 

I don't have any tenderness across the chest, no swelling/bruising etc.  The left side appears fine, the right side has what i believe to be scar tissue, though this is decreasing on a weekly basis, and causes no issues with shape/look or movement.  All in all, looks good and scars will be minimal.

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024