Author Topic: update on my situation (NHS surgery!)  (Read 3771 times)

Offline zink

• Bronze Member
haven't been on in a while, thought I'd let you all know how I'm doing.

after seeing a few different GPs, eventually getting referred to an endocrinologist, having a few appointments with them, I eventually got an appointment with a surgeon a few weeks ago! Once you get to see a surgeon it all speeds up! So anyone trying to get things done on the NHS - patience is the key!

I went to an appointment in plastics and the first guy I saw said he thought they would do an incision under the nipple and remove the tissue and fat (what I expected / wanted) but then a more senior surgeon had a look and said it would be worth having a go just with lipo first. The reasoning was that you could go in from the armpit (so no obvious scars), it could be effective at removing fat and some tissue to give a good result, it's a less invasive procedure than tissue removal and then if it wasn't effective then the nipple-cut-tissue-removal procedure could then be done anyway. So it was worth having a go. Not what I really wanted to happen (I figured it wouldn't work because mine is mostly tissue not fat and then I'd end up with double the number of scars when the original procedure has to be done anyway) but I agreed it made sense...

So on Tuesday I went in and had lipo done. I'm pretty annoyed actually because 1) they went in under my breast and not through the armpit anyway so that negates one of their arguments for doing this and 2) it wasn't effective! Some fat has been removed but not much tissue so I'll have to go back to have the tissue removed 'properly' in a few months.

I do have faith in the surgeon and it was an arguable method but I feel like I was right all along. Meanwhile I'm left with a bunch of bruising for 6 weeks and currently my right breast area is all numb (hopefully this will change??)

so I'm on my way. Anyone trying the NHS I'd stay stick with it, make sure you trust the surgeon you get and good luck!

Offline outertrial

Its worth a try I guess. If you got those results from a private PS you'd be pretty unhappy though...

Offline RicoVB

Hi. I am going through a hard time with the NHS. I was 106 KG have managed to get it down to 88. But the NHS, after offering me a date in a few months are now saying that I need to reduce my weight to 78KG (BMI of 25). I'm 36 years old now and my metabolism is not what it once used to be. My weight loss has hit a plateu, I've not lost a gramme for two months. I fear that the NHS have set me a target that I may never reach. The Sad thing is that when I was 17 years old, I was 72KG and had Gyno back then as well. Unfortunately, this info has little impact on the NHS.

Any Ideas??

or help or tips anyone???

How can I get through to them?

Thanks
T

Offline outertrial

Its not really negotiable Im afraid - the PCT wont approve funding for the procedure unless you are within a particular BMI.

More calories out than calories in = weight loss , whether youre 6 or 36.

Offline zink

• Bronze Member
hey Rico, sorry to hear you're having trouble, its exactly why I want to get this sorted as soon as I can. Just try to push with it and ask around, see if you can see different doctors.

I don't know your situation really to say anything but I guess there are reasons for the NHS having these rules, probably for your own health so there's less likelihood of complications.

I think this board has a lot of focus on private medical help. I don't see why that needs to be an option when the NHS provides us with free healthcare. Whatever you say or think, the NHS is full of competent and hard-working people. The real problem lies with too much 'red tape', paperwork, management issues etc etc which is really not the fault of the actual practitioners.

I'm healing up pretty well now and I trust my surgeon. Although the way they are approaching it is not what I would prefer, it was an arguable (and logical) way to do it and they are the professionals after all. I just have to wait a few months now until it can get finished off properly. But I'm on my way :)

The only reason I'd be pretty unhappy if I got those results from a PS is because I would have paid about £4000 unnecessarily.

Offline outertrial

I think this board has a lot of focus on private medical help. I don't see why that needs to be an option when the NHS provides us with free healthcare. Whatever you say or think, the NHS is full of competent and hard-working people.

Mmm. I agree that there are hardworking competent people in the NHS. Suggesting theres a surplus of them is a bit of a stretch though.

Offline kingboob

I am wondering where I can find these competent and hard working NHS staff?

This time last year I was discharged from a diabetics / weight loss clinic run by a top professor.....my weight had gone down from 34st to 17st due to my own efforts (with advice from them)....   
I was promised that they would refer me for removal of all my stretched excess skin and remaining GYNO...

one year later and after 3 (yes 3) canceled appointments (one of which I actually arrived in the waiting room only to be told infront of a room full or other patients that the surgeon was refusing to see me), I finally got a consult with an NHS surgeon,

geez, what a disaster, the guy running 1.5 hours late.... didn't seem to know anything about the type of procedure that I needed and basically wants to perform a mastectomy, whilst leaving all the skin hanging on my  shoulders / arm.... etc etc etc

Compare that to the private surgeon I saw (who was horrified I hadn't been treated on the nhs and even waved his consult fee), who I met within 10mins of arriving at the hospital; was able to instantly say I needed 4 ops and even had before and after photos to show me of similar people he had treated.......

whilst at the same time refusing to treat me until  I had tried the nhs one last time as 'in cases this severe it should be treated for free, after all you have paid N.I insurance tax.'

So, Now after more messing about from the NHS my only option is to go private..... all I need is 16k (4 ops, 4k a pop), to pay for it all...

NHS is an absolute joke.... too many managers/targets and not enough clinical staff, and that is before you get onto MRSA... C.DIFF, etc etc etc.

Patience is the key if you must go the NHS route..... but I'm 21 and having struggled with obesity & depression from the age of 8, I think having taken action to get healthy I deserve to surgery to give me some kind of normal life..................... Instead the nhs treats you like sh** and the system does its best to defeat you.

Go private if you can......

Offline outertrial

I am wondering where I can find these competent and hard working NHS staff?

This time last year I was discharged from a diabetics / weight loss clinic run by a top professor.....my weight had gone down from 34st to 17st due to my own efforts (with advice from them)....   
I was promised that they would refer me for removal of all my stretched excess skin and remaining GYNO...

one year later and after 3 (yes 3) canceled appointments (one of which I actually arrived in the waiting room only to be told infront of a room full or other patients that the surgeon was refusing to see me), I finally got a consult with an NHS surgeon,

geez, what a disaster, the guy running 1.5 hours late.... didn't seem to know anything about the type of procedure that I needed and basically wants to perform a mastectomy, whilst leaving all the skin hanging on my  shoulders / arm.... etc etc etc

Compare that to the private surgeon I saw (who was horrified I hadn't been treated on the nhs and even waved his consult fee), who I met within 10mins of arriving at the hospital; was able to instantly say I needed 4 ops and even had before and after photos to show me of similar people he had treated.......

whilst at the same time refusing to treat me until  I had tried the nhs one last time as 'in cases this severe it should be treated for free, after all you have paid N.I insurance tax.'

So, Now after more messing about from the NHS my only option is to go private..... all I need is 16k (4 ops, 4k a pop), to pay for it all...

NHS is an absolute joke.... too many managers/targets and not enough clinical staff, and that is before you get onto MRSA... C.DIFF, etc etc etc.

Patience is the key if you must go the NHS route..... but I'm 21 and having struggled with obesity & depression from the age of 8, I think having taken action to get healthy I deserve to surgery to give me some kind of normal life..................... Instead the nhs treats you like sh** and the system does its best to defeat you.

Go private if you can......

Im sorry to hear that KB. Unfortunatley my experience pretty much concurs with yours re the NHS. If you've got a good gp and you have something they can treat the nhs is great for primary care and heavily subsidised medication. Anything else though is pathetic. The sad thing is if they saved all the money they waste on inept admin run by hopeless managers and sticky fingered management consultancy companies they could fund a lot more care.

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024