Author Topic: self funded treatment through NHS cheaper than private?  (Read 2443 times)

Offline rockstar6181

• Posting Member
NHS are basically saying the PCT wont fund it so I will have to if i go through them, going to see how much they want etc but do you guys think it would be cheaper than going to a private PS?

Offline kingboob

I'm not sure I fully understand the question.......

Anyway, if the PCT are saying they will not fund your operation, then I can't see how paying an NHS surgeon will be any cheaper than going private, unless the PCT are saying they will part fund it or something??

A private operation is going to cost you about 4k in this country, anywhere from 1200 to 2800 if you go abroad to poland or spain.

Offline Time_to_fix_it

• Gold Member

My first thought would be ... is the surgeon, whether private or self funded through the NHS, experienced in gyne reduction surgery?

In fact that would be my first, second and third thoughts.  I wouldn't want just ANYONE having a go at my chest even if it was completely free on the NHS.

I tried the NHS route and found like many others the crazy runaround that the NHS gives you over a period of years, building up your hopes only to dash them time after time.  It is nothing short of cruelty.  When I finally (after 18 months) got a consultation with a breast surgeon, I soon realised that he didn't have the experience of gyne reduction surgery.  Yes he had done hundreds if not thousands of mastectomies on ladies with breast cancer, but gyne reduction surgery is NOT a mastectomy.  I left his office totally convinced I wasn't going to use a surgeon without experience even if it was free.

Surgery performed by Mr Levick at The Priory Hospital Bimingham (UK) 20th October 2006

GynO_DuDe

Dont be silly mate ... save up 4k, go to either Levick, Karidis or any of the other top surgeons in the UK that have done hundreds of Gyne operations and get their opinion and then go with your gut instinct with either one of them. Dont let any random from the NHS touch you. You want this operation done properly!

Offline outertrial

NHS are basically saying the PCT wont fund it so I will have to if i go through them, going to see how much they want etc but do you guys think it would be cheaper than going to a private PS?

I have never heard of anyone self funding an nhs op. What would be the point ??? You may be able to negotiate with the surgeon if he/she does private ops. TBH I wouldnt be surprised if the nhs doesnt end up paying more than an individual would do anyway.

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024