Author Topic: Training post surgery  (Read 4435 times)

Offline another_case

• Bronze Member
There was a previous thread regarding going to the gym after surgery. I managed to do a reasonable chest workout yesterday not even 4 weeks after surgery which pleased me a lot! I looked a real mess only 2 weeks after surgery, the amount my body has healed in the last 2 weeks is very reassuring. I was taking whey protein before surgery and I am continuing taking it now as apparently extra protein also helps the body heal. My advice to people who have surgery planned is do as much exercise as possible as soon as you feel able to as it really speeds up the healing process too.

Irish Lad: A taxi from Heathrow would cost a lot to Harley Street. I would suggest getting a train to Waterloo from the airport if that's possible and then the tube. Dr. Benito is a legend, I am so pleased with my results!

GynO_DuDe

Yes, I totally agree with the 'excercise as soon as you feel well' it really helped speed things up for me too, also has a postive psychological effect knowing that youve just had surgery but your still able to do all your normal activities.

Offline 9Wolf

• Bronze Member
  • Seize the day! Be free of your burden...
Whoa there... remember, there are different cases of severity and different techniques used, so everyone should still be listening to their own surgeons on critical matters such as this.

It completely depends on the amount of tissue bruising and damage that was done during surgery. Those who had small cases where not much gland was excised or any at all would recover much sooner and be able to work out quicker. Those who had major amounts of gland ripped out and have large areas or craters will have to wait their 6 weeks usually.

The last thing you would want is to 'feel' ok, but then rip open some internal scab/scar/bruise from an intense workout and have to deal with that all over.

Case by case, people.

That said, good to hear about the workouts going well. :)
I just started back up last week too (7th week), and finally being able to bench felt real good.
Triple Surgery done in Chandigarh, India (Jan 10, 2008):
1. Gynecomastia Surgery (simultaneously with #2)
2. Tonsillectomy
3. Septoplasty (5 days after #1 and 2)

3 lifelong problems wiped out in a flash of knives... Now recovering and excited beyond belief. :)

Offline DJB

• Posting Member
I did a pretty heavy shoulder and trap workout yesterday....thats 11 days after surgery for me. 

Offline darrend

• Bronze Member
9Wolf is right i think i overdid it the otherday in the gym- my side swelled up a bit and is still a bit swollen. i had lipo on my love handles as well, anyone have that problem?

Offline 9Wolf

• Bronze Member
  • Seize the day! Be free of your burden...
9Wolf is right i think i overdid it the otherday in the gym- my side swelled up a bit and is still a bit swollen. i had lipo on my love handles as well, anyone have that problem?

How long since op was it when you overdid it? Maybe try icing it a little right after if that happens again. As long as you don't see any new 'red' marks or bruising you should be ok I would think.

There was no way physically I could have worked out before 4 weeks with my severity. And even then, I decided to wait till even after the 6 weeks that my surgeon instructed me to. And I started by stretching out my arms and skin because it was still a little tight and compacted from healing. Since I waited so long till it was waaaaay safe, I have no negative reactions whatsoever. My body is so loving the workouts now and is ready to go.

Offline darrend

• Bronze Member
9 wolf im 4 weeks post op today, my chest looks great its the swelling on the side that is anmnoying. im seeing a physio twice a week for a lymphatic drainage massage

Offline Blue2

• Silver Member
I had my op yesterday with Karidis in London. During my consultation on Friday last week (I got a cancellation for the surgery!), he told me that I could commence with my training as soon as I felt capable. He said that I could not 'undo' any of this operative work and it really was up to how I felt as to how soon I get back in the gym. Obviously I will have to take it easy at first but I am aiming to be back on the weights in 4 weeks tops. I plan on getting back there in 2-3 weeks though but just doing some light cardio on the bike as this is a low impact kind of training and wont put too much stress on the chest area. Really at this stage I just want to keep the weight off! I can see not exercising for a month would do me no favours at all, especailly after trying so hard to loose the initial 17 lbs that I had done pre op. I am really looking forward to getting back in there and building up my chest and for the first time and also not worrying about how I look in the showers post workout!  ;D
Surgery: 18/03/08
Plastic surgeon: Alex Karidis

Offline milesed1

• Silver Member
My doc said NO exercise for the first 3 weeks post-op, then go as hard as I feel okay with. This is because many small blood vessels are damaged during the surgery and are attempting to heal. Exercise will raise your blood pressure (normally) which can cause small ruptures in the healing vessels -> hematomas.

Offline Blue2

• Silver Member
Thankfully my recovery has gone well so far and I have had no adverse effects from getting back in the gym early. However, you PS may have made your recommendation based upon what you personally have had done which may be different to me and others. I guess we should all take heed of what our individual surgeons tell us and stick to it! Some say that there is no rush to get back in to the gym but I waorried about gaining weight whilst sitting round doing nothing as I do gain weight very easily. Anyway, it worked for me but I think everyone should take great care when resuming your fitness activities and stick to what your PS says!!  ;)

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024