Author Topic: out in the sun after op?  (Read 2355 times)

Offline mwalker74

• Bronze Member
What is the general feeling about sunbathing after op? Obviously being ony 6 days post op im not going to go out in sun, but I am going away in September and I was wandering if I can sun bathe or not. Would a high factor lotion be ok on chest?

Offline Blue2

• Silver Member
My 'scars' are very small and have healed pretty much completely now at 3 months post op. Karidis told me that I would be fine now to expose them to the sun providing I use suitable SPF cream of a minimum of 15. Like all of these things it's up to the indiviual, but I plan on getting a tan this holiday!!! Not that SPF15 will allow much of that but at least I can get some practice in for the next time. I would say by September you should be OK to sunbathe, just keep rubbing in the creams as you go.
Surgery: 18/03/08
Plastic surgeon: Alex Karidis

DrBermant

What is the general feeling about sunbathing after op? Obviously being ony 6 days post op im not going to go out in sun, but I am going away in September and I was wandering if I can sun bathe or not. Would a high factor lotion be ok on chest?

Scars may keep the darker color of tanning as healing tissues do not fade like normal tissues.  Sun Protective Clothing can minimize such risks.

Hope this helps,

Michael Bermant, MD
Learn More About Gynecomastia and Male Breast Reduction

Offline Blue2

• Silver Member
So Dr Bermant, are you saying that we should stay out of the sun even with sun barrier cream on? If so, for how long? Just interested as my PS said using sun cream at my stage of recovery would be fine.

DrBermant

So Dr Bermant, are you saying that we should stay out of the sun even with sun barrier cream on? If so, for how long? Just interested as my PS said using sun cream at my stage of recovery would be fine.

Your own doctor is more familiar with the specifics of your situation.  Sun blocking creams and lotions have their limitations.  Getting a tan is the issue and then seeing how the scar remains dark sometimes permanently.  Sun Protection Clothing is just more effective.

Hope this helps,

Michael Bermant, MD

irish lad

iv heard in numerous posts that u should stay out of sun for up to a year after your op... dont know if its true so dont qoute me on it just taught id tell u!!

Offline Blue2

• Silver Member

Your own doctor is more familiar with the specifics of your situation.  Sun blocking creams and lotions have their limitations.  Getting a tan is the issue and then seeing how the scar remains dark sometimes permanently.  Sun Protection Clothing is just more effective.

Hope this helps,

Michael Bermant, MD

Thanks for your reply doc. As I say, my incisions are very small, only 6-7mm and they look completely healed now, but I take your point and the last thing I want at this stage are small discoloured nipple incisions!

Offline another_case

• Bronze Member
I'm nearly 4 months post surgery and Dr. Benito told me to avoid exposing scars to sun for at least 6 months after surgery to be on the safe side. Even after 6 months use a factor 15 or stronger lotion to protect skin. I have been using silicone gel on my scars the last 2 weeks and I'll be using it for 2 months in total which is the recommended time, it's expensive but bloody brilliant stuff and helps scars heal a lot quicker/better (costs about £30 a tube but you don't need much and well worth money for the results). I don't think you'll do any major damage if you're out in the sun in September, you can get silicone strips which you could put on the scars when you go out in the sun to protect them?

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024