Author Topic: Harley Medical Centre  (Read 3380 times)

Offline UnhappyFace

Went to have a 1st consultation with Harley Medical Centre (Cambs clinic) last night.

The nurse said I would have to have "breast reduction" (she even gave me the female BR booklet  :-\ ) - and it would involve cutting vertically down from my nipple and around under my arms, and possibly cutting the nipple off and moving it higher.....

I had thought it was going to be a little cut under the nips ... but apparently not. Suppose she's not actually the surgeon - but ... I don't know.

The price quoted was £4350 (including a night stay over) - how does this compare to Dr K?

I think I might arrange consultation with him soon... does he do Saturdays? I suppose not...

UnhappyFace

Offline londonbhoy

• Posting Member
Hello Unhappyface,

If you look at the messages on here Re people who have had experience with HM, then you should see that it's not wise to go ahead with your treatment there. I had my op and revision in London and had an awful experience on both occassions. 1st time as it did absolutely no good and I wasted a year and a half of my life, awaiting the revision, and now after the revision, I have a scar straight through the middle of my left nipple!

Word to the wise... don't go with Harley Medical!

Offline UnhappyFace

Thanks for your reply and sorry you've had such a bad experience!

I think you've put me off HM.... I've just booked an appointment with Dr. Karidis 31st October  :)

hadenuf

Thanks for your reply and sorry you've had such a bad experience!

I think you've put me off HM.... I've just booked an appointment with Dr. Karidis 31st October  :)

Good stuff, you wont be disappointed. I am 11 days post op and things are looking great and the whole process was smooth and professional. ;)

Offline kingboob

I would not have an operation with any hospital which doesn't let you speak directly to the surgeon before he does his stuff......... A nurse may be well qualified and very experienced, but he or she is not a surgeon and is not doing the job.

I recently had day surgery on the NHS, and despite the fact the doctor had maybe 4 or 5 patients to do in one MORNING alone, we all still got to talk to the doctor and anaesthetist before and after surgery.......... And that wasn't even for an major procedure.

I think the fact that the consults with Harley medical are with a nurse really just goes to show that they are in it for the money, they can't be bothered to pay a surgeon do to the consults because that would cost hundreds per hour instead of the £15 ph they probably pay the nurse.

Also, the price seems steep,  I know Mr Levick charges about 4k and Karidis about the same..... So with either of them you could save £350 and go to a top surgeon with proven results.

Offline outertrial

The nurse said I would have to have "breast reduction" (she even gave me the female BR booklet  :-\ ) - and it would involve cutting vertically down from my nipple and around under my arms, and possibly cutting the nipple off and moving it higher.....

I had thought it was going to be a little cut under the nips ... but apparently not. Suppose she's not actually the surgeon - but ... I don't know.

Was the "nurse" aware that you are in fact, not a woman? I had heard rumours that people who do consultations arent actually registered nurses, just salespeople with an NVQ1 in care or something. Well it sounds like they did you a favour by putting you off anyway.

Offline mthatch1

• Silver Member
This Harley Medical Centre sounds like a nightmare!  An expensive nightmare!! 

I can't believe she gave you a woman's brochure- how insensitive. 

I hope there is a better option for you. 

Offline PaulSW

• Silver Member
I too started with Harley Medical Group (Leeds)

I saw a nurse who told me about the surgery and was in fact quite helpful and actually knew the surgery I would need (not like the one you obviously saw)

What put me off was the fact that you did not see a surgeon until the morning of the surgery.

I wanted to, and did, see my surgeon before the surgery and discussed it with him.

For some people doing it by email and with photos saves time and is good enough.
Surgery DEC 07 Dr Benito
Revision March 09 Dr Benito
Injection for scar tissue March 2011 Dr Levick

Pictures - http://www.gynecomastia.org/smf/index.php?topic=12440.0

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024