Author Topic: Problems regarding my surgery date...  (Read 3821 times)

Offline Hope

• Silver Member
My surgery is next week (I still cant beleive it) and I have just found out that my good freinds wedding is on that day!

So now I am going to phone Levick tommorow to see if I can get the surgery done on Monday what are the chances of me going to the wedding on the Wednesday??

I was thinking of missing the wedding telling my freind that I have to go out of town and telling my parents that I am going to the wedding. That way I have my back covered as Levick said I could come home at midnight!

Your advice would be appreciative.

Also when I posted here for the very first time I was 125 KG (Yeah even for my height I am well over weight- I am 6"4)
I jsut jumbed on the scale to notice that I was 115 KG. So I have lost 10 KG in under a year is that normal??

I have been severly depressed over this period of time and have radically changed my diet. I just dont feel hungry as I used to.

I have one meal a day normally around 5- 6 pm. I rarley eat junk foods but even though I know my diet is unhealthy I just dont... like food I suppose.

My weight seems to be decreasing as a result of my depression I dont know if thats a good thing or a bad thing right now...

If you read this far thanks, I just needed a place to cool of and let my thoughts out.

:)
*Gyne free thanks to Mr Levick on  April 9th 2009*

Offline kingboob

I can't speak for Mr Levick but unless he has changed up his routine I don't think he operates on Mondays.   Monday/Tuesdays are follow up and new consult days.

Besides which have the op done on one day and trying to go to a wedding 2 days later is not a great idea.

Why don't you want to stop overnight in hopsital to be safe?

As for the weight loss.... well if you are not eating right you will lose weight.   Personally I would love to drop 10kg without trying, I am about 6'5 tall and I would love to get down to about 100kg, but it is a slow battle and I am exercising 1hr or more each day to try and make something happen  :D .     

Having said that if you are really at 6'4 & fairly muscular (do you work out?) then 115kg (18st?) is not bad at all.....  I would ignore body mass index charts to a certain extent and they assume a lot of people are obese when they are simply muscular,  For instance almost every rugby player would be counted as obese by the BMI guide doctors use.   Going by waist size (measured around the belly button) is a better guide, anything over 40'' can be linked to health problems.

If you are feeling deeply depressed then surgery is going to be a tough ordeal.  I can understand it can be a catch 22, as the Gyne and body issues can cause depression but at the same time you really should not have surgery if you are in a really bad place mentally.

The operation can be difficult and I know after each of my ops I felt really sh*tty about 14 days post op for maybe a week.   I don't know if the anesthetic causes this or if it is the pain, or even just the realization that although the *problem* is fixed the mental baggage remains and life is not completely changed, but it is in fact back to the daily grind....... and possibly learning to accept and like yourself a bit better for who you are.

Yeah anyway, sorry for that, if you weren't depressed before you probably are now.......... phone him up and get the date moved, you don't want to miss a good friends wedding in my opinion; gyne surgery is a big deal to us but to Mr Levick it is a day job and he can do it any time he has a free slot on his operating list.

Banobo

Hiya, http://www.healthcentral.com/cholesterol/home-body-fat-test-2774-143.html use this to measure your body fat, it's not for your BMI it's a rough guide to measure you fat levels, gives you a better idea guys.

Hope if your only eating one meal per day you will lose some weight but your body will starve itself and in order to function it'll slowly eat up muscle in order to survive, muscle burns easier than fat does so your doing yourself no favours there. Also your motabolism will sloooow right down and in return it'll get used to such a small intake and then when you do start eating regular meals your body will store it as fat.
I urge you to eat 5 or 6 small meals per day if your 18st then you should roughly be consuming 2500 calories just to maintain your weight, if you wanna steadily lose a couple of pounds a week drop it to 2000, keep your protein high and carbs and fat modest. Eat plenty of lean meat, veg and cut down on all the crap, it's not that hard. I love my food, been fat as a kid and i'm 9st 9 fit and toned. i hate loads of cardio and only do my weight training within my house most of the time.  Here's another site to work this all out for you and do a calories log each day, stick by it and dont cheat as your only cheating yourself. Just being aware what you eat will aid the effort to lose.

http://www.fitday.com/

If you need any advice let me know cause i live for this stuff, i made a life change a while back and it has done exactly that (changed my life and looks in a huge way)

Offline kingboob

To be honest I don't agree with most the advice given in the previous post.  :D

The link to the bodyfat estimator is interesting, but it estimates my bodyfat as 6% lower than the electronic monitors show.  - Also judging by sites such as bodybuilding.com I know my fat levels to be higher than the website linked suggests.

As for going into starvation mode and the body swtiching to 'catabolism' and breaking down muscle - well I think he would have to be seriously starving himself or doing high intensity cardio exercise for that to happen. 

Given that he has dropped 10kg or 22lb in approx 9 months, that work out at 2.5lb per month, which is no where near starvation.

I would also stress the importance of breakfast..... I never used to eat breakfast up until about 5 years ago, now I eat it (hungry or not) without fail, it really is the most important meal of the day.

Offline petey755

• Posting Member
Although missing a friends wedding is a shame, i'm sure if they knew the real reason you were doing it they'd support you in not being there. You have to think about yourself here, you're feeling down which is probably alot to do with your gyne. Getting rid of this is the best thing you'll ever do and as for eating once per day, you gotta try sort that its not healthy. Wait about 4-6 weeks after surgery and get yourself to the gym for some cardio and weights. Coming out of the gym knowing you've worked yourself hard is a great feeling and will definitely boost your morale.

Just keep in mind it takes months to see the final results, I could have cried when I took my vest off and for a while after but now im pretty happy  ;D

Banobo

We're all entitled to an opinion kingboob. I'm pretty sure someone's body will  turn to muscle waistage if the person is only eating once in every 24 hours and also his motabolism will slow down I'm basing my opinion on what i've learned myself over the years and having slimmed to 135 pounds on the run up for surgery but hey what do i know  ::)

Starvation mode is a state in which the body is responding to prolonged periods of low caloric intake levels. During short periods of caloric abstinence, the human body will burn primarily free fatty acids from body fat stores. After prolonged periods of starvation the body has depleted it's body fat and becomes begins to burn lean tissue and muscle as a fuel source.

Offline kingboob

what i've learned myself over the years and having slimmed to 135 pounds on the run up for surgery but hey what do i know  ::)

I've lost well over 200lbs, most of it as a teenager....... so checkmate!

Starvation mode is a state in which the body is responding to prolonged periods of low caloric intake levels. During short periods of caloric abstinence, the human body will burn primarily free fatty acids from body fat stores. After prolonged periods of starvation the body has depleted it's body fat and becomes begins to burn lean tissue and muscle as a fuel source.

His weight loss rate does not appear to indicate a massive calorie deficit.......... also while we can (hopefully) all agree it is much healthier to eat 3 meals a day vs 1..... total calories in vs total calories out is still the bottom line, he isn't going to slip into starvation mode if he is still consuming 2k calories a day, albeit in one meal.

<Edited by mod>

I usually switch off as soon as the word 'toned' is mentioned.

No offense intended.

« Last Edit: April 01, 2009, 05:24:37 PM by WishmasterK »

Banobo

(I just love hearing from the 140lb manorexic gym bunnies all over the internet fitness pages, desperate to give advice to the 6ft 4+ big framed real men, because the advice is just soo relevant to the situation and about as much use as a chocolate fireguard.   

I usually switch off as soon as the word 'toned' is mentioned.

No offense intended.)

I really didn't think i'd come across the sort of people on this site that would stoop so low by name calling. I'm surprised some people feel  the need as it doesn't really reflect a good image for themselves. I thought that someone who has more than likely suffered from name calling due to gyne at some point in their life wouldn't be the sort of person to go about reffering to someone of a light weight are less of a real man.

I hope by putting across that i'm a 140lb anorexic gym bunnie who isn't a real man satisfies you in some sad way kingboob, at least someone will have benifited out of this lol.

It really wasn't called for but be sure to know there has been no offense taken!!
« Last Edit: April 01, 2009, 02:47:53 PM by Banobo »

Offline Hope

• Silver Member
Woah cat fight!!

Joke lads...

Firstly I can totally understand both of your points Banobo and Kingboob.

Most likely I wont go to the wedding but there is still a chance that I will. I have too much on my plate and am slightly confused at what to do but I am sure I will do the right thing eventually.

Thanks for your help even if it did get feisty!!

Offline kingboob

Woah cat fight!!

Joke lads...

Firstly I can totally understand both of your points Banobo and Kingboob.

Most likely I wont go to the wedding but there is still a chance that I will. I have too much on my plate and am slightly confused at what to do but I am sure I will do the right thing eventually.

Thanks for your help even if it did get feisty!!

Best of luck with whatever you decide to do, if you do miss it then a good friend should be forgiving and understand.

Sorry if I hijacked your thread somewhat,  I just have really strong feelings about certain subjects as you can tell. :-)

GynO_DuDe

LOL ... mate seriously, forget about debating about the fact your friends having a wedding that you need to attend, fact of the matter is your going to be getting rid of your gyne soon, you should be over the moon!!!! and doing what ever it takes to heal properly and get proper aftercare and rest for yourself ... not stressing over the fact you got places to be ... i mean who gives a sh!t? that should be the last thing on your mind, this operation is going to change your life.

Offline ChristianS

• Posting Member
  • No more gyne since 28/03/09
Hey hope, after having the surgery you will be able to judge for yourself if you are fit enough to attend the wedding. just let people know like i have done that u had surgery (i said i had lymph nodes removed around the ribs which made them not suspect a thing  ;D) but thats entirely up to you. I have to honestly admit that due to the medicine and still the effects of the anesthesia i was still quite drowsy and felt a bit dizzy when i went out for a walk about 4 days after the surgery but everyone is different and will react different.

In my opinion, let your mates know your having surgery (make some symptom up) and tell them u hope you will be fit enough to go to the wedding. That way if you cant turn up they will understand and not get upset!

However you decide, i wish you all the best and hope your surgery will be a full on success!

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024