Author Topic: NHS waiting lists.......?  (Read 6971 times)

Offline pr0digy

• Posting Member
Hi guys, I'm new to the forum. This is my first article
I was just wondering, how long is the gynecomastia waiting list on the NHS? I was reffered to a consultant, who I saw yesterday, and he said an appointment will be made with a plastic surgeon.
Also, how long does it until are fully 'functional' after the operation (chest workouts, etc)?
I'm just worried because I might have to cancel a planned holiday  :-\
Had gyno for the best part of 8 (awful) years
Surgery on Monday 20th July. Never felt so happy in my life!

Offline ChristianS

• Posting Member
  • No more gyne since 28/03/09
Hello prodigy and welcome to the forum ;)
From what my experience was, it took about 2 weeks till i seen the surgeon. (depends on how busy they are but i was told it usually takes between 2-4 weeks) u can call the surgery where you will be seen though and get on their nerves a bit might help speed things up lol

I am just about 10 days post op and i feel great, i would say i have 85% mobility back, just cant stretch my arms upwards completely yet but thats due to the swelling and bruising. Everything has healed really well though, i will post up some more pictures tonight so people can see my progress.
I would say to be fully functional again it will take anywhere between 2 - 8 weeks. varies really as everyone heals differently ;) but as to chest workouts, extreme sports or heavy lifting i would give you chest at least 6 weeks for your chest to recover properly. better be save then sorry lol

Hope that helped you out a bit

Offline pr0digy

• Posting Member
Thanks a lot buddy  :)

Offline chipsmagee

• Posting Member
 why the hell am i looking at spending £4000 for surgery when i can get it on the nhs!! i asked my twat doctor and he told me its classed as personal cosmetic surgery (or somthing like that) and there for unable to get it done on the nhs, im changing my doctor lol.

GynO_DuDe

They HAVE to do it for free if its an Extreme case. My private surgeon told me.

Offline kingboob

They HAVE to do it for free if its an Extreme case. My private surgeon told me.

Yeah, this is what he told me as well, he even went as far as to send a letter to my GP telling the GP which person to refer me to. :D  ........... the NHS surgeon I did finally see (after a months of being jerked around)  was really nice and more than happy to do the op but seemed less than confident we would get approval for funding from the paper pushers.

So unfortunately  there are many hoops to jump through, especially in regards to funding...

I try not to get bitter about it, but I had a really extreme case after losing a fair bit of weight, and the surgery I needed was as much reconstructive as cosmetic, and the NHS really should have helped.

There is a postcode lottery I think, as some people on the boards here HAVE got NHS surgery for (in my opinion) what appears to be very minor cosmetic procedures but hey, thats the way it goes.

/ Rant over.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2009, 10:23:01 AM by kingboob »

Offline chancer76

• Posting Member
i had a VERY unsympathetic NHS surgeon and im all in favour of the NHS, theyve helped me out no-end in the past

i was told because i was physically fit i had "Fullness" in my chest and that it was basically in my head. Im going with karidis in a few weeks (empted my life savings, o well) will post pre and post op im sure you will agree its not "fullness" of the chest

Power to those who get it on the NHS, depends on the surgeon your seeing i guess

8 days to go! 16/05/2009 Dr. Karidis = Cant wait!

Offline thorne

• Posting Member
whats the best way to get the NHS surgeon to perform the surgery? Im due to see one and he's done the operation on others in the past I was told. But I really need this, Im a student so cant afford private, what can I tell him to help my chances?

Offline as400

• Silver Member
Display psychological damage as a result of your condition.

Extreme emotional upset etc.
Before you criticise a man walk a mile in his shoes, after that who cares? your a mile away and have his shoes.

Offline thorne

• Posting Member
As in hate having to hate summre because I have to wear jumpers coz I cant wear just a tshirt, no confidence, cant get fit and healthy because im embarrassed to go to gym, cantgo swimming which I loved as a kid and did my life saving, hate having to wear tight polo shirt to work as you can see my moobs through it and makes me unhappy, no confidence whats so ever because of it, what else can I say? I need to drill this into him!!!

What does the surgeon do when you first see him? ask questions and just take a look?

Offline chancer76

• Posting Member
Thorne-

Are you overweight? From what i know about the NHS if your overweight they will just blame it on pseudo gyne and tell you to get to your ideal BMI (even though that it wont fix it in all likeliness)

i would say ive tried loosing weight but it made the gyne look worse. Say you cant have sexual relationships with the condition because you hate your body so much. Maybe say youve tried under the counter drugs like Tamoixfen and Letrozole to no affect.

My surgeon was crap, he wasnt prepared to do it .... unless i went private with the hospital!

This sounds melodramatic (and nothing to do with gyne) but i know a girl who wanted breast reduction with the NHS, who wernt really perpared to help untill she burst out into tears in front of the surgeon. Low and behold she got the surgery. I was going to try it myself but i got the overwhelming feeling of rage just listening to his bullshit. So i left it at that!

Offline thorne

• Posting Member
Im 5.11 and at 13 stone so im just over a stone over weight, Im going to the gym to get down to 12 stone by the time I see him, therefore I will be smack on what my ideal weight should be. I havnt had a letter yet with a date of when I should see him but I should have one soon. I would love to have the surgery over summer, july/august time but thats for him to decide I suppose, but I really do need this, but Im afraid I wont be able to tell him everything I hate about it because my mother will be present and its been really embarrasing tellin consultants so far, when my mothers there, about my lack of confidence etc. So any tips? I have to nail this! they're bigger than my stomach so he can see it isnt all fat, plus the hormonal consultant said there was some tissue there and this surgeon has done the sirgery before, so any tips will be much appreciated!!!

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024