Author Topic: Consultation  (Read 5632 times)

Offline thorne

• Posting Member
Hey guys got my consultation on tuesday with the NHS surgeon. I've recently lost my nan and my head is in the shed at the moment so cant really think straight. What can say to the surgeon that will make him allow me to have the op! I really do need this, my moobs are HUGE honestly, they extend out further than my gut, way further and Ive had them since the age of 10, Im 20 now and its given me so much grief over the years!!!

thanks guys!

Offline moose88

• Posting Member
The boundaries for the NHS performing gynecomastia correction ops is for at least 200g of matter to be excised from either "breast" if you like.

So aslong as you have that sort of tissue to be removed you should be ok, just express that it gets you down, no self confidence etc.  i would say.

Offline zink

• Bronze Member
moose, I don't know if that is a strict rule. In fact, if any condition affects you enough to be damaging to your life / healthiness / mental state then doctors should be able to help, even if your gyno was small

Offline thetodd

The opinion of my NHS surgereon was that they would peform NO gynecoamstia surgery on ANYONE and he only done a proecure which actually removed the whole breast (inc nipple) on elderley males with bad cases!

... but of course privatley the hospital could do it for £3k. He said my case was non exsistent and in my mind (eghem wanke.r). So it depends from hospital to hospital if they say no its not possible ASK FOR A SECOND OPINION. You can choose any hospital in the UK to go to find out info on here which NHS surgeons are more "Gyne friendley" if they say no this time

Surgery With Alex Karidis - 16/05/09 - Completed!
http://www.gynecomastia.org/smf/index.php?topic=17738.0

Offline thorne

• Posting Member
Well my last consultation was with an hormonal consultant, I seen him and he told me I was a normal guy and nothing can be found in my blood or homones to show where this gyne came from and that Im a normal guy. So he said he would refer me to this guy im seeing tuesday because he has done this sort of medical procedure on many patients before, so yes I think he is a gyne friendly surgeon. I just feel stupid explaining how it affects me to someone because they dont know what its like

Offline thetodd

Dont tell him your nans died he might be worried about your mental state. tell him

1/ Tried exercise/diet to no avail
2/ bullying from schoolmates/workmates
3/ cant leave the house without wearing thick clothing
4/ unable to have a relationship
5/ cant do the things you want to do

if you say things like that, hes going to know its a problem.

Offline kingboob

The opinion of my NHS surgereon was that they would peform NO gynecoamstia surgery on ANYONE and he only done a proecure which actually removed the whole breast (inc nipple) on elderley males with bad cases!

... but of course privatley the hospital could do it for £3k. He said my case was non exsistent and in my mind (eghem wanke.r). So it depends from hospital to hospital if they say no its not possible ASK FOR A SECOND OPINION. You can choose any hospital in the UK to go to find out info on here which NHS surgeons are more "Gyne friendley" if they say no this time

To be honest, looking at your pictures I am not that surprised that the NHS didn't want to fund your treatment.....  you have to be in a really bad way to get the NHS to pay for treatment and even then it is really difficult.

Offline thorne

• Posting Member
Thanks for the info guys. Im pretty much going to say things like Ive yet to have a boys holiday because im embarrased to go to the beach and swimming etc, nevber had the time to take my little brother swimming because of my problem, having no confidence, having to wear thick clothing during summer and the rest of the year, cant have a relationship because of it, embarrsed to stand up at the front of class and present work in uni because of it, therefore effecting my uni grades, and just missing out on all the fun things in life and it really getting to me now because Ive done nothing wrong in life, Im a hrad working, nice guy and I cant be the person I want to be because of this! how does all that sound? anything I could add/take away?

Also, Thetodd, really appreciate the info mate! looking at your pics, my moobs are 3/4 times bigger than yours! thats how bad it is!

Offline thetodd

I really hope you get it, there are guys who have got it with cases not to dissimilar to mine so you should be ok

yeah i agree my case isnt really that bad, but there was other factors to it like taking anti estrogens (lots of them) and starving myself. The surgeon just didnt give a shi.t and really knocked my spirit about it. So if you get a shitty surgeon then dont let it put you off theres plenty of decent ones out there

gl mate keep us updated

Offline thorne

• Posting Member
Thanks Thetodd, I feel sick thinking about walking into that room tomorrow because I so need this and knowing its all in his hands is killing me, I have to sell this!! So hope I get it!!!

wish me luck guys!

Offline thorne

• Posting Member
Just thought, If he says no, do I ask him for a referal to another surgeon for a second opinion?

Offline thetodd

Id go back to your GP, or whoever reffered you to the surgeon

Best of luck mate, i hope you get it

Offline thorne

• Posting Member
Thanks to all of you guys who commented, esp thetodd! thanks alot mate! Wish me luck and I'll get back to you tomorrow!! If I have good news I just hope I wont be waiting for the op for a year or something, hopefully by next march I will have it done, I can celebrate my 21st properly then!

Thanks again guys!

Offline thorne

• Posting Member
Well, its no go!!  :( I was told I DO need the operation and he would happily do it BUT he has 30 - 40 guys on his list who want the same op but the trust wont pay for the operation!!!! So I have to now wait another 6 months for him to write a letter to some guy high up the NHS ladder and ask for funding!!!! This is terrible!!! How can women have breast reductions, obese people have gastric bands on the NHS yet they think guys with large breasts dont need any help because it doesnt effect them? its pathetic!!!!

Ah well, another long wait now! Where do I go now guys? is there a way to fight this?

Offline frozen

• Bronze Member
I don't want to change your mind if you're happy going with the NHS, but are you sure going private isn't an option for you? You're more likely to get a better result with a surgeon who's experienced in doing male chest reductions (like Levick / Karidis).

I noticed you said that you're at Uni, same goes for me mate :) I've decided to go with Dr. Karidis for lots of reasons. It's going to cost £4000, which is the entirity of my savings, but for me it's worth the money as I'd be devestated if a *bit-of-everything* NHS surgeon was assigned to do my op, and gave me a wonky chest!!

But if you've got 6 months or so to wait (and even then it's not 100% definite that you'll get approved?) maybe it's worth saving your ass off, getting a second job, asking family for financial support, etc, so you can go private?
Had surgery with Dr. Karidis (London, UK) on 23rd July. Wearing tight t-shirts and looking forward to going swimming!

My experience so far & updates:
http://www.gynecomastia.org/smf/index.php?topic=18200.msg126755#msg126755

Pictures:
http://www.gynecomastia.org/smf/index.php?topic=18539.msg127741#msg127741

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024