Author Topic: Steriod Induced Gyno  (Read 6347 times)

Offline chad1721

• Posting Member
Just Wondering if anyone who uses this forum has had steroid induced gyno?

I used steroids from the age of 18-24, I have been training chemically free now for the last 5 years, during my cycles I used to get the onset of gyno but it would disappear as soon as I used an anti estrogen tamoxifen. About 2 years after my last cycle, a little pea sized lump came under my right nipple, I went to the doctors and he said it was just an infection. The lump got bigger and about a year later another one popped up on the left hand side. I went back to the doctors and he sent me for an ultra sound at the hospital, it was all clear so I had blood tests and saw an endocrinologist, he said that my hormone levels were completely normal and there was no further action to be taken.

it is now 2 years later, I have been back to the doctors about another 5 times but they keep saying there is nothing they can do, the last time I went she said she thought I should see a counselor! what a joke my problem is physical not physiological! I know that some of you might think I have brought it on myself, never the less I still have to live with it and find a solution. I did get the lumps when I was 13 for about 6 months but then they went away naturally.

My nipples now both look pointed and puffy and the lump under each one is about 3cm from side to side of nipple,  2 cm from top to bottom of nipple and 1 cm in depth. They are really sore to touch and are making my life hell. They seem to be ok in the morning, but after about 5pm they become really noticeable, it’s like they swell throughout the day. If I am cold, have just trained, swam or played football you wouldn't even know they were there, it’s just when I am warm and relaxed.

I know you guys will probably want to see pics, I have a couple I have taken and will post them on Monday, it is difficult to see though as I was cold when I took the pics, you might notice I have a discoloring on my nipples on the pic, like a bit of paleness at the bottoms, this also come when I am cold and my nipples shrink. It’s almost like you can see the gland on the surface.
I have seen a private consultant at the Hospital Group in Manchester; they have quoted me £3,500 to do the operation. 

These are my questions to the people who use this forum.

- Has anyone else suffered from steroid induced gyno and had the op?

- Has anyone used the Hospital Group in Manchester? Are the good/bad?

- Can anyone recommend another surgeon too me?

Thanks

Offline phantom51red

• Posting Member
Hi chad,
Ive not read any post on here in the last  year about steriod induced gyno,so on these boards youre case might be unique.
However over at bodybuilding uk ,im sure i read something similiar on there a while back ,do a search for gyno on there steriod section see what come up :).

I can only suggest Dr. Karidis as a surgeon,he has done a few  guys on here including myself,100% happy too :)

cheers

Offline chad1721

• Posting Member
Here is a pic, like i said it is difficult to see as i am cold, nipples usually look puffy.

http://s929.photobucket.com/albums/ad133/chad1721/?action=view&current=Chad.jpg&newest=1

DrBermant

Just Wondering if anyone who uses this forum has had steroid induced gyno?

I used steroids from the age of 18-24, I have been training chemically free now for the last 5 years, during my cycles I used to get the onset of gyno but it would disappear as soon as I used an anti estrogen tamoxifen. About 2 years after my last cycle, a little pea sized lump came under my right nipple, I went to the doctors and he said it was just an infection. The lump got bigger and about a year later another one popped up on the left hand side. I went back to the doctors and he sent me for an ultra sound at the hospital, it was all clear so I had blood tests and saw an endocrinologist, he said that my hormone levels were completely normal and there was no further action to be taken.

it is now 2 years later, I have been back to the doctors about another 5 times but they keep saying there is nothing they can do, the last time I went she said she thought I should see a counselor! what a joke my problem is physical not physiological! I know that some of you might think I have brought it on myself, never the less I still have to live with it and find a solution. I did get the lumps when I was 13 for about 6 months but then they went away naturally.

My nipples now both look pointed and puffy and the lump under each one is about 3cm from side to side of nipple,  2 cm from top to bottom of nipple and 1 cm in depth. They are really sore to touch and are making my life hell. They seem to be ok in the morning, but after about 5pm they become really noticeable, it’s like they swell throughout the day. If I am cold, have just trained, swam or played football you wouldn't even know they were there, it’s just when I am warm and relaxed.

I know you guys will probably want to see pics, I have a couple I have taken and will post them on Monday, it is difficult to see though as I was cold when I took the pics, you might notice I have a discoloring on my nipples on the pic, like a bit of paleness at the bottoms, this also come when I am cold and my nipples shrink. It’s almost like you can see the gland on the surface.
I have seen a private consultant at the Hospital Group in Manchester; they have quoted me £3,500 to do the operation. 

These are my questions to the people who use this forum.

- Has anyone else suffered from steroid induced gyno and had the op?

- Has anyone used the Hospital Group in Manchester? Are the good/bad?

- Can anyone recommend another surgeon too me?

Thanks

Pictures taken in a cold room are just not a valid way to demonstrate the problem of subtle Puffy Nipple Gynecomastia. That is why I evolved this Standard Technique to Photograph Gynecomastia. Note the section about cold rooms. Follow the printed instructions to better document the problem.

Tenderness can be a Symptom of Gynecomastia that the glands are still under stimulation. I see many Bodybuilders from around the world with gynecomastia. Quite a few have been from anabolic and hormonal manipulation. For some of these patients, breast growth can continue years after stopping the steroids. Once the normal endocrine axis is broken, it sometimes can be quite difficult to fix the balance.  Gynecomastia surgery is not the first step for someone with tender growing breasts. Surgery will not stop the process of further breast growth and I have seen too many cases of such recurrence when such factors were ignored by other doctors.

Here is a collection of experiences of a few of the many UK gynecomastia patients who decided to travel for my techniques.

Hope this helps,

Michael Bermant, MD
Learn More About Gynecomastia and Male Breast Reduction

Offline chad1721

• Posting Member
Micheal,

are you saying that there would be a high risk of it coming back if i had surgery? i have had blood tests and all my hormone levels are fine.

Is surgery my best option?

Cheers

Offline chad1721

• Posting Member
Surely once the gland was out it wouldn't grow back? I went for a consultation in Manchester with a company called the Hospital group and the surgeon there told me that once it was out it wouldn't grow back, is this right?

DrBermant

Surely once the gland was out it wouldn't grow back? I went for a consultation in Manchester with a company called the Hospital group and the surgeon there told me that once it was out it wouldn't grow back, is this right?

I caution each of my patients that surgery does not typically stop male breast growth.  If there is a problem with growing breasts, recurrence can happen.  Any of these medical problems and or these medications can cause gynecomastia. So, if you want to get worried about regrowth, you could get yourself evaluated for each of these conditions to see if they could be a factor. 

If you are using something that can stimulate breast regrowth, shreds of gland remain behind with any surgical technique.  It is just not practical to remove all elements of gland.  The problem is that there are fine fingers of gland that dissect between fingers of fat and can extend quite far into the chest. Take a look at the Anatomy of Gynecomastia to see what I mean.  Even with a radical mastectomy (a disfiguring technique used for some male breast cancer problems), some gland can remain.  Surgery also does not prevent weight gain in the chest.  Men tend to put weight on the belly and chest regions.  I educate each of my patients that this surgery will not prevent further breast growth.  It is like changing/fixing a tire with a nail.  Fixing/changing the tire will not prevent you from getting a new nail in that tire.

Regrowth of gland from stimulation can occur where shreds of gland remain behind. This can be behind the areola, along the deeper edges or margins of a zone of excision. 

I take care of many patients with gynecomastia, as many as 8 in one day alone.  With all the gynecomastia surgery I have done, it is very rare to have regrowth for patients I have sculpted.  One patient (who had surgery on only side by another doctor) came to me with pro hormone induced gynecomastia that only came back on the side that had no surgery.  His growth was massive on the one side and none on the other.  His surgery by that other doctor had left a massive crater - the skin was adherent against the chest wall with normal fat surrounding the ugly deformity.  One side looked like the deformity seen here.  The other side was almost a B cup breast so tender that I could barely examine it.  As with each patient who presented to me with current breast growth, he was referred for an endocrinology evaluation and stabilization before considering surgery.  I do not know if such radical surgery was a factor or not.   Even if it did, removing all fat under the skin just gives an unnatural look.

Here is another example of Gynecomastia Breast Regrowth on my site.  Caution this is a graphic picture of the massive gland regrowth removed on the operating table.

This patient is rather unusual. He was a misdiagnosed genetic female who has lived his entire life as a male.  His birth certificate says male as does his driver's license. Yes, a terrible mistake labeling him male made from birth and early on not recognizing his Congenital Adrenal Hyperplasia.  His body has been exposed to high levels of androgens and estrogen since within his mother's womb. This results in an a condition better called Intersex than the older phrase Hermaphroditism.

I prefer to target the gland first with my Dynamic Technique. This permits me to remove most of the gland and then sculpt the remaining tissue to minimize contour problems.

By concentrating on the gland first I am able to minimize the chance of breast regrowth.  It is very rare for my patients to have recurrence.  With my techniques and my Red Flag Evaluation System before surgery, I have only a few patients over the many years I have been doing surgery that I know have regrown.  However, gynecomastia surgery does not stop breast regrowth.  For patients having breast growth, I have advised for many years that they should get their problem under control before surgery.  There are exceptions, such as young men with massive breasts that have not stopped growing.  That is why each case needs to be individually evaluated. 

Prevention and stabilizing the problem(s) causing gynecomastia, when possible, is much better. We help patients explore such issues during consultations or preliminary remote discussions.

Hope this helps,

Michael Bermant, MD

DrBermant

Micheal,

are you saying that there would be a high risk of it coming back if i had surgery? i have had blood tests and all my hormone levels are fine.

Is surgery my best option?

Cheers

What I am saying is that in most situations, working on stable gynecomastia is better than needing revision surgery.

Hope this helps,

Michael Bermant, MD

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024