Author Topic: nhs. bah.  (Read 2943 times)

Offline spacenips

hello guys. started visiting this site a long time ago, its been a great help. this is my first post. i'm 34, first signs of gyne came at about the age of 13. i have a partner and 2 young kids. cant put up with this anymore. went to gp 4 weeks ago, doc has a look, yes you have gyne. i was given a date to see a ps,11 of aug,on the nhs. now i have 3 letters from hospital saying gp should not have  referd me without more checks to see if i fit the criteria for surgery. i'm seeing my gp in 2 weeks to discuss my options. am i wasting my time? i think i have a bad case of gynecomastia,got the puffy nips and lumps. i'm 6"1 and 13stone. please help! 

Offline jsboob

• Silver Member
they are trying to cut down on non essential stuff on NHS & I agree. Gyne ops & sex change, IVF etc arent exactly life threatening but plenty of people do have life threatening conditions that could be fixed faster without all these basically cosmetic procedures.
 Hard? maybe but realistic, the uk taxpayer isnt a bottomless pit & Id rather keep it for essential medicine rather than lose it to an insurance based system any day.

sorry 8)

Offline spacenips

can anyone tell me what the criteria is to get accepted for surgey? no way can i afford to go private. to be fair there are some success storys from the nhs on here. when i work out how to do it, i'll post some pics. mine look alot like nearliverpool's. thanks

Offline kingboob

They will probably want you at a normal body weight (IE: BMI of 25 or less) and not to be taking any drugs or medications which can cause gyne (bodybuilding steroids or whatever)...........   even then it can be down to luck, some get offered surgery with no fuss, others have to jump through a million hoops.

If you are even slightly overweight expect to get told that losing that will cure the problem............ even if there are massive hard glands a lot of GP's seem to think weight loss is the fix.

Offline jsboob

• Silver Member
Not that I agree with this approach, but your only hope for this kind of surgery is to play the physcological distress card. You go to GP & tell him you "just cant carry on living" ::)
This often works apparently, unlike sadly if you happen to live in the wrong area & need some new kind of anti cancer drug etc.

Offline Bain-of-my-life

• Bronze Member
Hey guys, im fairly new to all this too...

I am 6'3 and weigh 14stone but I am fairly muscular and therefore am not sure wether I would pass for the surgery as BMI is a very basic way of distinguishing health (Olympic athletes are often classed as obese when clearly they are super fit!). Is it worth me trying to get the op through the NHS?? I am a 20 year old student and therefore am fairly cash-strapped so going privately is really a last resort for me.

One other thing.... How can I break this to my parents? I keep motivating myself to do it then pussy out! God I hate this shit! >:(

Offline paul786

• Posting Member

have the same problem Obviously,  :-\ GP sent me to see a surgeon and I was 17 stone @ 6foot 2"
surgeon said right away I need it doing and I need skin removing also as its a bad case she told me that
she couldn't operate until I have a BMI within the range of below 27 so she said I had to get down to about 15 stone or less

hopefully they will sort add me to the list now when I go next

but I think the weight you need to be is at the surgeons discretion and depending on how bad the case is 

jsboob.that's the perfect name for you. some of us do actually suffer due to are problem with gyne, myself I havent left my house without some sort of coat
to cover my chest since i was 13.. 20 years ( most of this suffering in silence) so don't you dare sit there on your high horse saying that gyne should not be treated under NHS when the  NHS spends more money
on drug and alcohol smoking related problems than anything and pays its managers vast sums of money with nothing said.

Offline kingboob

have the same problem Obviously,  :-\ GP sent me to see a surgeon and I was 17 stone @ 6foot 2"
surgeon said right away I need it doing and I need skin removing also as its a bad case she told me that
she couldn't operate until I have a BMI within the range of below 27 so she said I had to get down to about 15 stone or less

but I think the weight you need to be is at the surgeons discretion and depending on how bad the case is 

jsboob.that's the perfect name for you. some of us do actually suffer due to are problem with gyne, myself I havent left my house without some sort of coat
to cover my chest since i was 13.. 20 years ( most of this suffering in silence) so don't you dare sit there on your high horse saying that gyne should not be treated under NHS when the  NHS spends more money
on drug and alcohol smoking related problems than anything and pays its managers vast sums of money with nothing said.

If you need skin excision then please do your research on the internet and know what type of scarring to expect.     Generally you can get a nice flat chest which looks good in T-shirts and clothes but don't expect to avoid large, obvious scars which will still cause embarrassment    if going shirtless.

I'm talking from personal experience here........... most of these guys on this website would be quite shocked at the excision scars when removing very large moobs. It is basically a male mastectomy as there is no way to cut them off without leaving scars.    It is a totally different surgery than what these guys get when they have 10g of gland & 200mls of fat sucked out through an invisible 5mm cut around the nipple or armpit.

I'm not trying to be negative or scare you at all.     After years of  walking around with slumped shoulders, avoiding any kind of intimate contact with anyone  (even hugs with family members), wearing  3 or 4 layers even in the middle of summer and basically just having HUGE breasts which were too big to conceal I am thrilled to be able to wear normal thin T-shirts to the gym and not feel ashamed -  but the scars are a trade off, I still wouldn't feel comfortable going shirtless in  public.

I'm just under 19st (down from 34ish)  at 6ft 5.5..... I'm aiming to lose another 2st and get back down to my lowest ever weight which my GP thinks would be ideal for my height and build, but even now I would now consider myself overweight rather than obese, despite what the BMI charts say.  So I would say  at 17st and a slightly shorter 6'2 you fall into the same category.

So in my opinion weight loss wont make that much difference if your breasts are that large and droopy that you need skin removed, but you have to play the game and get under 27 BMI /  15st.... otherwise you are looking at 4 to 5k to have it done privately and not many surgeons have experience of taking on the really large cases anyway.

Offline jsboob

• Silver Member

Well Im sorry you have such a problem with your gyne Paul. I seriously advise you to seek some psychological counselling until you can get your desired cosmetic surgery.
I do stand by what I wrote above tho in that the NHS has finite resources ( I totally agree about the waste & overpaid managers etc) & as such I think someone suffering from cancer or needing a hip replacement ETC should take priority over a guy who has enlarged breasts!
BTW I too have gynecomastia!

Jim

Offline paul786

• Posting Member

If you need skin excision then please do your research on the internet and know what type of scarring to expect.     Generally you can get a nice flat chest which looks good in T-shirts and clothes but don't expect to avoid large, obvious scars which will still cause embarrassment    if going shirtless.

I'm talking from personal experience here........... most of these guys on this website would be quite shocked at the excision scars when removing very large moobs. It is basically a male mastectomy as there is no way to cut them off without leaving scars.    It is a totally different surgery than what these guys get when they have 10g of gland & 200mls of fat sucked out through an invisible 5mm cut around the nipple or armpit.

I'm not trying to be negative or scare you at all.     After years of  walking around with slumped shoulders, avoiding any kind of intimate contact with anyone  (even hugs with family members), wearing  3 or 4 layers even in the middle of summer and basically just having HUGE breasts which were too big to conceal I am thrilled to be able to wear normal thin T-shirts to the gym and not feel ashamed -  but the scars are a trade off, I still wouldn't feel comfortable going shirtless in  public.

I'm just under 19st (down from 34ish)  at 6ft 5.5..... I'm aiming to lose another 2st and get back down to my lowest ever weight which my GP thinks would be ideal for my height and build, but even now I would now consider myself overweight rather than obese, despite what the BMI charts say.  So I would say  at 17st and a slightly shorter 6'2 you fall into the same category.

So in my opinion weight loss wont make that much difference if your breasts are that large and droopy that you need skin removed, but you have to play the game and get under 27 BMI /  15st.... otherwise you are looking at 4 to 5k to have it done privately and not many surgeons have experience of taking on the really large cases anyway.

yeah I have lost what they wanted me to and am continuing to loose the weight beyond what they asked
but thats purely for me ( I want to loose it )

surgeon said she is doing it and I seen her nurse 2 weeks ago and I am at the goal but I had a lump
in my chest so I has to go for a ultra sound  that turned out to be fine so upto now all is going well.
I really don't care about scaring I am not looking to go topless just being able to a T shirt would be so great
and would also be great not hearing aint you hot in that ? grrrr

@ Jon Obviously someone with cancer should get treatment over someone with gyne
but you never said that,  you said that they shouldn't give gyne treatment at all you even pinned gyne treatment with a sexchange operation 
they're hardly the same thing now

if government want to save money they should take it from the millions in aid the give away
and spend it on our own country

60 million for pakistan  how much would that help us?
a quick google shows we are still giving huge amount of money to china who are much better off than us

Offline thetodd

Mate millions of people have been affected by the pakistani flood thousands have been killed. Your probally talking a few quid per head to everyone affected from us its bugger all lol. China is a differnet kettle of fish the people in power may be rich but the workers are throwing themselves out of the top story buildings to make cheaper iPhones for the west. Fancy working 16 hour shifts and living in a box room then china is the place to be!

I dont agree with the NHS postcode lotterys, but i doubt cosmetic surgery even crosses the vast majority of the world but where their next meal is comming from. There's loads wrong with this country but i think id put that down the the lazy wankers in this country sittin on their arse because "Dere ent nae jaobs". I havent got time for the tramps!

In a perfect world everyone would get the surgery, but luckily we live a lifestyle where we can afford the surgery if we make a few sacrifices.
Surgery With Alex Karidis - 16/05/09 - Completed!
http://www.gynecomastia.org/smf/index.php?topic=17738.0

Offline jsboob

• Silver Member
"@ Jon Obviously someone with cancer should get treatment over someone with gyne
but you never said that,  you said that they shouldn't give gyne treatment at all you even pinned gyne treatment with a sexchange operation 
they're hardly the same thing now

if government want to save money they should take it from the millions in aid the give away
and spend it on our own country

60 million for pakistan  how much would that help us?
a quick google shows we are still giving huge amount of money to china who are much better off than us "

I agree with everything you state here ( BTW Im Jim not jon!) BUT you are missing my point - whatever we think on present or past governments policies, the NHS will only EVER have a finite amount of money ( & that money is considerable!) but you will have to accept that some operations/ medical procedures must take priority over others! It is just not possible to give everyone whatever they want or think THEY really need!
 I still think the NHS is wonderful tho, much better than an insurance based system although there could be a combination of the two with tax breaks to encourage those who decide to pay into the insurance schemes. This would free up space in the NHS for less life threatening procedures.

Offline Whiff

• Bronze Member
Paul I don't agree with you, we should be giving aid to pakistan, if we can pay billions to protect banks and bankers that still insist on paying themselves huge bonuses then we can send a few million quid to people that have lost everything in a disaster. I also agree with jsboob we can't afford to be paying for this procedure on the NHS it's just not that important. I certainly wouldn't take food out of the mouths of 100s of children  in pakistan so you can walk around in a tight fitting shirt with confidence or go to the beach..its a no brainer.

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024