Author Topic: Gyne/Mastalgia  (Read 5096 times)

Offline Neil2

Hi I am new here.

When I was about 14 I started developing gyne with a small lump first in the right breast this included soreness/tenderness in my breasts. My GP said just wait and see. I went back to my GP a few times and then when I was about 23 or 24 I want to my GP again because of  breast enlargement and he basically said it is normal some men have a bit of breast development. OK so I might not be growing big breast but I do have some gynecomastia - are doctors blind do they not notice gyne unless it is severe?
I have just put up with it and it it often on my mind that they are very slowly growing and they are cetainly not getting any smaller.

I am now 30 years old and recently went to my GP because of the tenderness behind my nipple and surrounding area. He said it could be hormonal and sent me for blood tests, these being: Liver Function Tests, LH, FSH, Testosterone, Prolactin. He put on the form the reason for test being Mastalgia (this is the medical term for breast tenderness, discomfort, pain). Anyway, I saw my GP last week for the results and he said my Prolactin level is normal and my testosterone is low but just within the normal range - testosterone was 10.6 nmol/L (I think 10 nmol/L is the lowest it can be and still be considered 'normal'). I am concerned it is so low at my age.

I have been reading on here that many people on here have had their oestradiol levels checked, I have read on the internet that higher than normal oestrogen can lower testosterone.

I really do need to get this sorted out, and will have to make another appointment to see my GP. What do I say to him? What tests should I ask for? Compared with many on here my case may be reasonably mild but my breast are always very tender and they are just not normal, I have the feeling that I have more oestrogen than I should and this is causing my problems - only a test will tell.

Anyone else on here have trouble with tenderness behind the nipple and inside the breast?

Does anyone know of any good web pages or other sources of information that I might show my doctor.

My plan is to see my GP again and say could my breast problems be caused by higher then normal oestrogen and can I have a blood test for this.

Thanks for reading this.

Offline Time_to_fix_it

• Gold Member
Hi Neil,

I think nipple/breast tenderness is often the thing that sends people to their GP.  I can only say that for me it first happened at about 42 years of age (no breast tenderness or enlargement at puberty).  I had all the usual tests and investigations for breast cancer and when these proved negative the doctors say it was Gyne.  Rightly or wrongly I was told that the nipple tenderness is a sign that the gland behind it is growing.  I was prescribed Tamoxifen and the tenderness and growth stopped, however now (6 years later) it is acting up again.  A recent full hormone profile for me showed high oestradiol levels and these are currently being checked again.  Oestradiol is one of several oestrogens but seems to be the most potent.

Why your GP didn’t ask your blood to be tested for its levels of oestrogens is a mystery because without a full hormone profile then a thorough assessment of your hormones can’t be done.  It is the balance of testosterone to oestrogen that is a vital factor in gynecomastia.

I think you have answered your own question in that you are going to ask your doctor to check out your oestrogen levels.  If the levels are in anyway out of the lab ranges or maybe just within them after taking your age into account, then I think a referral onto an Endocrinologist would be the next thing to seek.

One thing I will say is that I really had to push my GP to get a full hormone profile done and when this showed up high levels of oestradiol, to give me a referral onto an Endocrinologist.  My GP certainly wasn’t well read on the subject and in the early days just fobbed me off. However to his credit he has now read up on Gyne and is very supportive and interested.  So don't be afraid to be a bit pushy if you need to.

I have personally found this site a huge help in making me realise I wasn’t the only person in the country with this problem.  I hope you do too.  There are some very knowledgeable people on here who have been through experiences which can benefit others.

Good luck and keep us posted of how you get on.
Surgery performed by Mr Levick at The Priory Hospital Bimingham (UK) 20th October 2006

Offline Neil2

Hi Time_to_fix_it
and hi to you all

Thank you for your reply.

I am seeing my GP again at the end of next week and hopefully he will let me have the necessary blood tests. Do I ask for a blood test for oestradial or oestrogen?Do I need to be tested for other oestrogens apart from oestradial?This time I need to make sure I get tested for all the main things I should.

I have read on here that some people recommend a basic thyroid function blood test be done - shall I ask for this also, or is this pushing my luck?

Time_to_fix_it how long were you on the Tamoxifen? I guess when you stopped taking it the condition worsened. Also, I am wondering if you know what is causing your high oestrogen level, can this problem be cured or only controlled by medication.

Offline Neil2

Just read that someone had their progestorone level measured - should I get mine measured? I have know idea about progestorone and if it could be involved in gynecomastia or breast tenderness.  

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024