Author Topic: Stage 1 or Stage 2 Compression Vest?  (Read 9107 times)

Offline superhuman

• Posting Member
well... I honestly can't spend $200 on two different vests because I highly doubt I need two..

So if someone can help me out

I just had surgery, and I am wearing a chest binder right now.. its been more than 48 hours. I honestly have like no bruising or swelling but obviously need my 'binder' in place for my chest. I also know stage 2 is more for scars, which I don't think I really need so do you think I would be good with stage 1 for 4-6 weeks? How do I determine my size too?... my chest im not too sure how long it is but I'm a 'Large' in t-shirt size... so a medium would do good?

DrBermant

well... I honestly can't spend $200 on two different vests because I highly doubt I need two..

So if someone can help me out

I just had surgery, and I am wearing a chest binder right now.. its been more than 48 hours. I honestly have like no bruising or swelling but obviously need my 'binder' in place for my chest. I also know stage 2 is more for scars, which I don't think I really need so do you think I would be good with stage 1 for 4-6 weeks? How do I determine my size too?... my chest im not too sure how long it is but I'm a 'Large' in t-shirt size... so a medium would do good?

Each surgeon has his / her own methods. Each of my patients are fitted before surgery for both a Stage 1 After Gynecomastia Surgery Garment and a Stage 2 Male Chest Compression Vest. Both have critical components for the results my patients have and each has its own purpose and strengths. The Stage 1 is necessary for the protection of the injury but is not as effective for long term scar evolution. The Stage 2 is too dangerous right after surgery but does a better job for scar care. I have never liked the discomfort binders caused patients, especially the way they did not stay in place. I rarely use additional support beyond the After Gynecomastia Surgery Compression Garments. Changing what your surgeon designed for your care may entail risks. Which is why this is something you need to check with your own doctor.

Hope this helps,

Michael Bermant, MD
Learn More About Gynecomastia and Male Breast Reduction

Offline superhuman

• Posting Member
I had spoken with him and he said wearing an underarmour would be more ideal... therefore him suggesting me to get one but since many people recommended the Design Veronique... I'm just having a hard time whether which one to decide for?...

It's been 3 and a half days post-op, i definently dont need it for scarring as I surprisingly have no scars but just to hold it still and for compression as the binder keeps moving. Would stage 1 be more ideal in my position? Thanks for your help.... I want to be able to order it asap...

Offline 303MattS4

• Posting Member
To replace your chest binder, the Stage 1 from DV would be most ideal. Especially considering you're only 3 days post op. I had surgery on 12/2 and am still in the stage 1 vest until next Friday. I tried on the stage 2 during my preop consult and honestly I couldn't imagine putting that thing on so soon after surgery. Go with Stage 1 and then a tight under armour shirt after a month if you don't want to spend an additional $100 on the Stage 2 vest.

DrBermant

I had spoken with him and he said wearing an underarmour would be more ideal... therefore him suggesting me to get one but since many people recommended the Design Veronique... I'm just having a hard time whether which one to decide for?...

It's been 3 and a half days post-op, i definently dont need it for scarring as I surprisingly have no scars but just to hold it still and for compression as the binder keeps moving. Would stage 1 be more ideal in my position? Thanks for your help.... I want to be able to order it asap...

I have found the underarmour garments ineffective for my needs in order to achieve results as seen on my website. It is with multiple refinements like putting a stage 1 garment on in the operating room that has been fitted before surgery that I can have such Minimal Bruising and Swelling After Gynecomastia Surgery. All surgery results in a scar, it is a question of minimizing that scar. Scars that evolve under pressure do much better than scars without pressure. For my patients, the second stage garment is a critical element in their After Surgery Scar Care. Quality of scarring is not just on the surface, but extends throughout the surgical sculpture site. Results should look good during animation, flexing muscles, and living life, not just in a few still photos.

The Stage 1 garment is designed for early after surgery, the stage 2 is too dangerous right after the operation. Any change in your surgeon's plans you are considering should be discussed with your doctor.

Hope this helps,

Michael Bermant, MD
Learn More About Gynecomastia and Male Breast Reduction

Offline Ralph

• Posting Member
OK, I believe that the Stage 1 garment should be worn but for how long?  How long for the stage 2 garment?

With body builders, how long is it before they can start working their chest again? The ones I know ( me included) are nervous about losing muscle mass due to atrophy.

Thanks!!

DrBermant

OK, I believe that the Stage 1 garment should be worn but for how long?  How long for the stage 2 garment?

With body builders, how long is it before they can start working their chest again? The ones I know ( me included) are nervous about losing muscle mass due to atrophy.

Thanks!!

I prefer to individualize the timing of how long each vest is worn by each of my patients. The second stage garment looks just like a gym vest and my patients tell me that they are quite comfortable wearing the garments as they are working out. In fact, the additional support and protection permits them earlier activity by stabilizing the healing tissues. But as with any injury, pushing tissues too soon to hard can slow down healing.

Hope this helps,

Michael Bermant, M.D.

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024