Author Topic: Which surgeon?  (Read 1925 times)

Offline emanresu

• Silver Member
I won't bore you with the background story because you already know it. LOL!

To cut a long story short I've been refused (for the 4th time in 10 years) by the NHS. So I finally plucked up the courage to explain the situation to my father and he's agreed to lend me the money for the operation. I have mixed feelings about it TBH because he was going to lend me the cash for a new car instead. Oh well, the car can wait...

Which surgeon would you guys recommend? The main topic of conversation on this board seems to be Karidis... but is he the only choice? I don't care how much the surgery costs as long as I get the best man for the job. I also gather that Paul Levick is pretty good.

Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Whichever surgeon I choose, I'll upload before-and-after pics so you can judge for yourselves.

Offline PecDec

• Bronze Member
Hey mate

Wouldn't waste me time with NHS, as you have found hard to get the surgery done but if you do get it the surgeon won't be as good as if you went private.

I researched for months upon months about surgery. I tried all types of anti estrogen medication to reduce to gyno which helped slightly but it won't get rid of the hard lumps behind my nipples or the fatty tissue.

Finally I was able to save the money up and it's all booked in with Dr. Karidis. Paid the £1000 deposit to secure the operation date and the remaining amount has to be paid 15 days before the op date. The hospital bills can be paid 5-7 days before.

Karidis, i found, was the best man for the job because of his experience. He does so many and I haven't heard any bad stories from him.

Nothing is ever 100% but I would rather go with someone who does it on a daily basis and has 100s of operations under his belt.

I've started a journal about my experience https://www.gynecomastia.org/smf/index.php?topic=22437.0 ( sorry not jacking your topic )

I've just loaded some before pics and will keep it update with my journey. Will post pics just before surgery then numerous ones after at different stages.

Surgery with Dr. Karidis - 12th April 2011 - Status: Recovery

https://www.gynecomastia.org/smf/index.php?topic=22437.0

Offline emanresu

• Silver Member
Thanks for the reply PecDec.

Yes, I already replied to your thread. The info you provide will prove invaluable to me as I prepare myself for surgery and everything else.

So that's one for Karidis.

Offline theman

• Posting Member
2nd for Karidis, here's my post about my experiance with him. https://www.gynecomastia.org/smf/index.php?topic=22047.0

Hope this helps  :)
Post Op :D

Offline emanresu

• Silver Member
Thanks theman. I'm glad it worked out well for you.

Well, I'm booked for a consultation with Karidis later this month. It seems obvious that he's the best guy for the job, albeit a little pricey. All going to plan I'll be under the knife by mid April at the latest.

I'd upload some 'before' pics now but I still have roughly another stone in weight to lose before I'm ready for surgery.

Offline emanresu

• Silver Member
Well, today I had the consultation with Dr. Karidis and all went well. The consultation itself wasn't very long, lasting no more than 20 minutes, but we covered all the bases and he was very straightforward with me, explaining all the risks etc. My biggest concern was that there would be too much loose skin following excision of the gland and that when this was pressed against the chest it might wrinkle. He explained that only happens in an extreme minority of cases. If corrective surgery is necessary, fortunately he won't charge for that service. That pretty much set my mind at rest. Mind you, it's worth considering that the hospital WILL charge fees if a revision is necessary, so those of you who are strapped for cash might want to consider Paul Levick as an alternative because there are no charges at all for revisions.

My only complaint is the location of the hospital. Although St John's itself is very nice (with its own Christian chapel!), it's right in the middle of London. Getting there was a pain in the butt. You have two options: Either drive into middle of London and pay extortionate parking charges (£2/20 minutes at the nearby meters) or you can drive to greater London and catch the tube to St John's Wood station. I chose the latter option, which cost £10 for a ticket and took apprx 45 minutes each way from Hatton Cross, near Heathrow airport. I hate travelling on the tube; crammed in with all those other people. Where are you supposed to look exactly?

Anyway, booked up for the operation with Dr. Karidis in about a month.  :) Apparently the whole thing takes no more than 45mins and there's no overnight stay if you undergo surgery early enough! Now I just can't wait to get rid of these horrible breasts. Interestingly he told me that there was definitely gland present; despite being told by the NHS that it was simply all fat!!!

Honestly, screw the NHS!

The whole thing comes in at just over £4000, assuming you get the blood tests done by the NHS. Otherwise it's an extra £130.

Anyway guys, I'll start a new thread prior to surgery; detailing the whole process from beginning to end + before & after pics. Just in time for summer. Yip!

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024