Author Topic: UK consultation - What Q's to ask?  (Read 1728 times)

Offline researchitts

Hi All,

I have my first consultation with a surgeon this week and wanted to ask what the most important questions were to ask him?

About me: my case is a little different. I am 30 years old/6ft1/170lbs. I take finasteride for hair loss and have done so for 7+ years.  Around 4 years ago I noticed my nipples were puffy and I could feel gristle/lumpiness behind them.  They have not got any worse but it is clearly glandular tissue causing the puffy nipple.  This may have been drug induced, I am otherwise pretty lean/workout/eat clean etc.

My GP gave me the name of a private PS at Spire, Mr Nick James who I am seeing this week. From what I've read on this site from participating doctors there is no telling whether the gland and puffiness will return post surgery as I plan to continue taking the finasteride.  I am prepared to have the surgery knowing there may be an increased risk of the gland returning.

What should I be asking the surgeon regarding the surgery itself?

From the reading I've done on here it sounds as though question 1 should be: lipo only or excision+lipo? I also get the impression excision and lipo is what is needed in most cases?

I'm not sure what else to ask re the technical side of surgery? (the consult is £120 so I don't want to waste it with only one prepared question  :))

I don't know too much about recovery from surgery/ time off work/gym needed/ or possible complications so plan to ask in general. 

I will obviously need to discuss my drug treatment with the doc. 

I guess I am asking for the Top 5 or 10 questions the veterans on the board would always advise newbies to ask potential surgeons at initial consults to make sure the surgeon seems capable.

I plan to consult with atleast one other PS, probably Alex Karidis as he seems like the only recommended name on here for London (where im based near) although any other recommendations for the south east would be appreciated.

Sorry for the long first post! Cheers all

Offline kingboob

I would be asking how many other gynecomastia correction surgeries has he done.  I would want to see before and after pictures to get an idea of what he can do.    You should also be having a very honest discussion about your expectations and then be listening very carefully to his reply...... can he achieve the results you are after?

Finasteride is very nasty stuff that messes with hormone levels and has loads of side effects; one of them gyne, others that are more serious.  A quick internet search pops up loads of horror stories about potentially permanent side effects........... (personally I would want to trade off my health for my hair).....  but anyway, if you continue to take it then there is no guarantee that it wont cause the gyne to regrow.... so try and get the surgeon to give you an idea of how likely that is if possible.

Ask what the policy on revisions, complications and follow up care is.   If the surgery does not give the agreed outcome is a revision totally free of charge or not?  What about if you get an infection or something? - would the surgery fee include all follow up care and medications that were required or would you have to go running to your GP to get antibiotics or whatever?

By the sounds of things you probably have mainly gland and not as much fatty tissue.   Make sure he is going to actually get cut out the gland, as many people have had unsatisfactory results with various lipo techniques and generally, most people agree that cutting it out is the only way to go. 

Offline researchitts

thankyou very much kingb for the reply, ive noted your Q's down and a few others so i don't forget them. Going to see PS 2moro and will report back  :)

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024