Author Topic: Surgery Preps  (Read 2661 times)

Offline zm

• Silver Member
Hi all,
As most of you already my op is this Saturday at around 1.30pm.

For those who have already had the surgery, is there any kind of preparation you carried out? like a bag with specific things inside, when were you told that you can have your last meal etc....

i'm sorted for transport as my younger brother will be driving me to the hospital and back.

When you came back home, how would you describe the pain/discomfort as i've got others living with me and don't want them to know anything.  i was maybe thinking of telling them that i've pulled a muscle on my chest or something?

only my wife and brother know.

Offline dexs

• Silver Member
Good question ZM would be interesting to hear some of the advice. 

Personally when you get home I would act as normal as possible.  You will only arouse suspicion if you mention you have pulled a muscle unless you get asked of course. 

If it was me i would come home then plonk myself on the sofa as i usually do whilst watching TV and surfing the internet.  No one would batter an eye lid :)

Have you been taking Arnica prior to surgery?  The pack says you should take this after surgery but people on this board mention you should start taking this 2 weeks before.

Also in terms of what you can eat/drink etc the pack does say no food/water 6 hours prior to surgery.  On the safe side i would say 8 hours as everyone digests food at different speeds. 

Offline zm

• Silver Member
Hey dexs,
i think i would just rather say i've pulled a muscle as I have a daughter who is nearly three and if all of a sudden if i stop being as active around her, it would definitely warrant some questions...

i've not been taking any arnica tablets.

the other question is and i've not seen anyone mentioning it, did anyone have any problems wiping after a good bowel movement :D

Offline Birmingham

• Bronze Member
i was doing some research on general anesthesia and one of the side effects is vomiting/nausea so if you get sick easily like me id suggest not having anything to eat/drink the night before. only 2 days left!

Offline zm

• Silver Member
I've been under general anaestesia about 11 years ago but still crapping my load...
I think my wife is more scared than me..

Offline dexs

• Silver Member
Likewise the last time I went under GA I was around 15 or 16 and was bricking it.

It's funny as my wife is the same and is more worried about it that me.  I have mixed emotions as some days i'm so excited that i cant wait but other days i really dread it. 

I've for exactly 29 days to surgery and have started thinking if i've made the right choice.  I know i have but just need to snap out of the doubts.

As for pulling a muscle that should work, especially if your wife backs you up on the story.  Maybe she could say you did whilst carrying the shopping bags, make it more believable  :D

Offline zm

• Silver Member
dexs, if i say i'm pulled my muscle whilst carrying shopping, i don't think i can live it down...

i'm going to say it was during a 200kg bench prces...:D

Dexs, you got any kids? i felt really upset last night when thinking about my nearly 3 year old daughter who loves lying on my chest and playing with her ipod for hours. she will not be able to do that for the coming weeks :-(

Offline dexs

• Silver Member
ZM yes I have a 10 month old daughter who has just started crawling and trying to stand.  She's also very clingy so I know the feeling mate.

However I look at the longer term and i know by going through the surgery I can take her swimming, water parks on holidays etc but more importantly I know this surgery will make me very happy and confident, which will benefit her in the future and for her to be proud of her dad   

So short term pain, long term gain.

Offline ChestMan

• Silver Member
Dexs,

Interesting take on the longer term gain. I have a 2 and half year boy who is very active and I've advised my wife that I'll be out of action for a few weeks. I'm not sure what I'm going to do when he comes into our room in the morning and starts jumping around on the bed.... I've asked a couple of other guys what it is like and they said that I should be fine to bathe him after a few days.

I think I'm aslo going through similar emotional ups/downs -I'm just trying not to think about it. Mine is still some time off (late April), so it;s still early days. I know that I'll probably be bouncing of the walls in the days leading up...

Offline dexs

• Silver Member
Come on guys lets stick together, we can see the light just a few more days/weeks/months and its a start of a new life and endless possibilities with our new found confidence.

As Ari Gold would say in Entourage

"I would say hug it out, but I don’t want you drawing wood"

Offline zm

• Silver Member
group hug lads..........................................

Offline dexs

• Silver Member
Good luck for tomorrow zm and keep us posted on how you get on.

Offline zm

• Silver Member
Thanks dexs...will start a new thread bro with post-op pics...

just lying in bed and dreading the recovery and the bloody GA...

Offline dexs

• Silver Member
[slap] - [slap] snap out of it and be a man  ;D

That was some tough love lol

Mate i was just thinking how i would be feeling if i was in surgery tomorrow instead of the 29th.  I almost soiled myself!  However a few moments later i thought about all the bad points and experiences on gyne and that helped me relax.

Bottom line your going to be fine.  Half the worry is not being in control but remember the people who will be in control are experts!

Offline zm

• Silver Member
Having gone through surgery. The most important thing that i can advise, is to take someone with you to take you home.

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024