Author Topic: Surgery with Levick.  (Read 13832 times)

Offline captain chesty

• Silver Member
Alright lads, I guess the time has come and it’s my turn to go under the knife, for what is a 'mild' case of the G - I'm really looking forward to seeing it gone!

I will be undergoing surgery on 30th May with Mr Levick and will be keeping a record of the whole process here; from consultation to recovery, for anyone who might be interested.

First off, I've got to say a big thanks to everyone who has contributed to the UK forum, particularly those who have given accounts of their surgery and included pictures. I've read all your accounts, gained loads of useful advice, and felt much more confident about my decision for surgery because of them. So cheers!

Will try to upload some pre-op pictures and provide a quick account of the consultation with some practical advice before the actual op on weds.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2012, 08:18:19 AM by captain chesty »

Offline r1

• Posting Member
How much is Levick mate. good luck.

Offline captain chesty

• Silver Member
Consultation

Ok, so here is an account of my consultation with Mr Levick and some practical info about the process. I don't want this to seem pedantic since the consultation is not a big deal and not worth discussing at length, but thought writing something might be of benefit to some people in terms of what to expect on the day. Also, I realise some of the practical advice could just be got from Levick, his website, or the hospital, but you will find yourself having to keep email/telephone questions as they come to you, so here it is in one place.

Where?

The BMI priory hospital, Birmingham: the ‘consulting suites’ to be exact. These are separate, signposted buildings, located behind the main hospital. So don't waste time as I did and bother going to the main hospital reception, it's not necessary, just go straight around the back to the consulting building. On google maps you get street view from the hospital grounds all the way to the consulting suite.

I guess most of you guys will probably go by car so it's worth noting that the consulting suites have their own, free car park, right outside the door. If you go by train like I did then you'll find it's not too far from Birmingham New St station. In fact, I walked it from the station to the hospital on my way back (around 45min). Taxi from Birmingham New St to the hospital was about £5. Or, bus No's 61,62,63 go from the hospital road to the city centre.

When?

Consultations are on Mondays and Tuesdays (surgery takes place on weds + thurs)

Cost and booking?

Consultation costs £100 - this is payable after you've had the consultation, not before. There was a 4 week wait until consultation when I booked. I've also read other people talk about a 4 week wait so maybe that is typical, unless you're lucky enough to get a cancellation. (Expect a few weeks wait from consultation to surgery as well).

How long?

Varies, particularly according to how many questions you have to ask. My consultation was a good 45mins in total. About half an hour of that was spent consulting with Levick, around 10 minutes filling out forms/registering, and 10 minute or so waiting in reception.

What happens during the consultation?

The actual consultation mainly consists of a medical history, physical examination and an explanation from Levick about his surgical technique. In addition, you have the chance to put across any questions that you might have.  

When you arrive at the consulting suites you report to the reception as you walk in the door. The receptionist will take some contact details. You should have a debit/credit card handy for an ‘imprint’ (priory hospital policy) Also, you might want to have your GP’s details handy here, unless you don't want him/her in on it! You are then shown upstairs to a small waiting room. From here you will be called into see Gail Levick, Paul Levick’s wife and receptionist. Gail takes you through most of the paper work you will encounter, which are mainly for the purpose of assessing your medical history.  Following on from that, you are given an information folder. This includes a lot of good info, such as; information about general anaesthesia; pre-operative advice; post-operative advice, and common FAQ’s.

Finally you see the man himself, Levick. He is friendly and quite cheery and good at putting you at ease if you feel uncomfortable at the idea of showing/discussing your condition: Just what you need in a surgeon. In fact, I felt quite comfortable talking to Levick about it, especially after he said that he used to have gynecomastia himself until he underwent surgery.

You get to see some of Levicks work in the form of before and after photos. What's surprising about these is to see just how much gland comes out, even when the gyne appeared to be mild. You also get to see the tools he uses (a type of metal cannula). In addition, he gives some background to the condition. When I saw him he expressed his belief that genetics play an important role in predisposing you to the condition, and dismissed the theories surrounding oestrogen's/chemicals in the water supply as a cause.

After this discussion you will have a physical examination, basically a feel of the gland to see how big it is and how surgery might be able to help.

In regard to Levicks technique, he prefers to make 2 incisions, one at each armpit. This is in contrast to what seems to be the more popular method of making incisions at the nipples. One obvious advantage is less scarring, particularly at the nipples. Of course all methods have disadvantages and I put this question to Levick, to which he said, the approach from the armpit can make it more difficult to get at the gland. I suppose there is no ‘best’ per se, just different methods with different advantages and you should weigh these up and choose the right one for you. Personally I feel the experience of the surgeon is the more important factor, and Levick has done a lot in his time.

You will end your consultation back in Gail's office where you can make your payment, and, if desired, arrange for your surgery.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2012, 01:06:20 PM by captain chesty »

Offline captain chesty

• Silver Member
How much is Levick mate. good luck.

£3855. will post a breakdown of where that money goes when I get the chance after ive had the surgery. cheers.

Offline captain chesty

• Silver Member
Pre-ops as promised... will be the last time anyone see's these suckers 8)

« Last Edit: May 29, 2012, 05:34:42 PM by captain chesty »

Offline captain chesty

• Silver Member
Op tomorrow. little bit nervous but guess I will just have to man up about it :'(

will update when Im on the other side(if im still alive lol). will put up a picture of the dressings aswell

Offline improving

• Silver Member
All the best mate. You'd be a weirdo if you weren't a bit nervous, it's normal. Remember he's been doing it for over 30 years, you're in good hands i reckon!

Offline SDJ

• Bronze Member
best of luck mate though im sure you'll be fine! keep us updated with pics. I'll upload mine by the weekend. My dressings come of thursday so cant wait to see me all flat! I replied to your message on my own thread mate if you havnt seen it yet, just some info on what to expect. where are you travelling from mate?

Offline skelly26259

• Posting Member
Going to be following this thread gl man

Offline Supersonic123

• Bronze Member
Good luck today friend! Keeping my fingers crossed your surgery will go perfect!

Offline SDJ

• Bronze Member

Offline captain chesty

• Silver Member
Surgery Completed

Alright guys, surgery completed. Cheers to everyone for their words of support, it really does help. It was nothing to get nervous about tbh and although I did keep my cool quite well, my heart was doing overtime at the bit where I was prepped for theatre and asked to lie on the table lol. Anyway, Levick said it all went well and that quite alot of gland came out.

I should commend the nurses at the priory hospital who were brilliant really friendly and nothing was to much of a hassle for them. The stay overnight was not bad either in private room I was able to just chill after the op and watch sky sports and some movies and have dinner. You wake up after the op with drains in your armpit incision and these got kind of annoying, couldnt wait until the next morning to have them taken out. Following morning had the drains out (one side didnt hurt atall the other had me gritting my teeth as it was taken out but no big deal) - ate breakfast, nurses came round did their checks and prescribed me medicines to take home, and finally with one last visit from Levick I was discharged to go home at about 11 the next morning.

Here are some pictures in the dressings at 4 days post op. It looks a bit of a mess at this stage I know, there is certainly some bruising and my skin is reacting badly to the bandages. now just have to wait until 1 week post op before I can take off the bandages, get a look at my chest, and switch to the compression vest. cant wait.  

« Last Edit: July 06, 2012, 07:48:24 AM by captain chesty »

Offline SDJ

• Bronze Member
give yourself some time to take that dressing off mate, I was in the bath for over half an hour trying to get it off lol it's a bit of a shock when you look down and there's no boobs there! it's a good shock though.

Offline captain chesty

• Silver Member
give yourself some time to take that dressing off mate, I was in the bath for over half an hour trying to get it off
lol, what about the residue the tape leaves on your skin did you manage ok with that. think i read someone on here say they bought some special plaster remover cream from boots and made it a whole lot easier, will look into it if its not too expensive, I am broke now after all - happy broke though :)

Offline SDJ

• Bronze Member
give yourself some time to take that dressing off mate, I was in the bath for over half an hour trying to get it off
lol, what about the residue the tape leaves on your skin did you manage ok with that. think i read someone on here say they bought some special plaster remover cream from boots and made it a whole lot easier, will look into it if its not too expensive, I am broke now after all - happy broke though :)

yea the residue was hard to get off so it may be worth you buying some stuff to help get it off. I just lay in the bath and rubbed it off with my fingers though. definitely invest in some rash cream of some sort though and put it on after the bandages have come off. I found it was worst on my shoulders, under my arms and across the bottom of my chest, anywhere the tape was stuck to the skin. Try not to scratch it too mate cos it makes it worst. best of luck and keep us updated.

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024