Author Topic: Surgery with Levick COMPLETE (29-08-12) <pre and post op pics posted>  (Read 21090 times)

Offline darkstar

• Silver Member
Hi all, first of all I have to say a huge thanks to everyone on here who has help to contribute to such a great resource or information. I've had gyno since puberty and at the age of 23, I'm in a position where I can afford to get it fixed.

I wen't for a consultation two weeks ago and Paul confirmed I had gland and little fat. I like to keep in decent shape and love climbing. I finish work 5 days before surgery and then have 18 days to recover post-op until I head to University to study for a masters. I shall be living in halls with new people, so I hope to have recovered well in that time.

I understand the recovery will take time and I'm prepared for that. But i know I will get frustrated quickly, and wan't to go climbing, lift some weights etc. What are the possible implications if I push it too hard, too early? I'm guessing I know when I feel up to it? Climbing is tough on the upper body and I don't want to do any damage. Paul gave me a figure of 8 weeks, but I'm guessing this is just the standard number he gives to everyone.

How much of a difference will diet make to the recovery process? I'm intending to consume a high protein diet, with lots of vegetables and fruit, with complex carbs. No processed foods, no fast foods etc. if you had 18 days post-of dedicated to recovery, what would you do? Anything different compared to when you had surgery?

I'll be trying to keep this thread updated with pics before and after the op, along with my recovery progression.

Thanks for reading and apologies for the essay, It's the only thing on my mind at the moment!
« Last Edit: September 06, 2012, 05:37:49 AM by darkstar »

Offline rasputin

• Silver Member
Congrats on booking in your surgery. I went with Karidis but Levick seems to be just as good.

In terms of recovery, you will know when you're ready. My only advice would be not to do anything too soon. Definitely start running after 2 weeks but in terms of lifting on your chest you should really wait that out. I know people here have waited 1 or 2 months minimum. I'm not sure what the implications are, but I can imagine that stressing your chest could just result in reopening wounds under the skin or fluid build up and bruising.
My Trip Report (Preop & Postop pics).

Offline darkstar

• Silver Member
Thanks for the reply man. It's strange, although I'm only two weeks away from surgery, I'm not really very nervous. I'm expecting pain post-op, but am I too relaxed??

I'm happy waiting 8 weeks post-op, it's just much longer than that and I'm going to struggle. I suppose i'll just have to sit it out and wait until my body is ready, rushing it would delay the process. Do you think that after three months I'll have full use of my upper body back? Using a pull-up as a benchmark.

Thanks.

Offline rasputin

• Silver Member
I found it really surreal, I never got nervous even when I was waiting for the anaesthetic to kick in - I still don't feel like it's me that went through all of it, so weird. But no pain, at least not for me but my case was pretty mild as they come. The best advice I could give is to be relaxed and busy leading up to the op, there's no point thinking about it - it's totally easy 8)

I'm 5 days post op so really not the best to ask, but right now I have good movement. Although I wouldn't be able to attempt a push up without my chest feeling like it's going to rip apart. I think I will be able to bench press after 4 to 6 weeks so pull up in 3 months? Absolutely.

Just in terms of diet in your OP, I've had a strict diet leading up to my surgery which I'm sticking to - I'm just eating less of it as I'm not running or lifting. I'm eating a lot of fruit and protein and things seem to be going pretty well so far!

Offline darkstar

• Silver Member
I ve read your thread post-op and I hope your recovery continues to pass with ease! I like to stay in shape and have a good nutrition plan as it is, spinach shake and nuts in the morning, two lunches then a protein based evening meal. Protein shake post workout a some point. I'll be stepping this up and focussing on diet as I think (hope) it plays an important role, definatly not sitting eating pizza everyday! Sounds like you're doing the same, I'll keep up with your thread to see hows it's working :)

I just want to lose as little strength as possible, if I could pay double and maintain strength, I'd find the money, got a climbing holiday booked with mates in January and need to be in shape.

I'll post pre-op pics sometime this week.

Offline darkstar

• Silver Member

Offline darkstar

• Silver Member

Offline darkstar

• Silver Member

Offline darkstar

• Silver Member
Those are a few pre-op pictures. The first one is head on, and second and third from an angle. I'm now a week away from surgery, I paid up my cash earlier and I feel great. I've started taking arnica today. I'll be taking one pill, twice per day. I'm off any alcohol, as well as blood thinning foods. I will start eating pineapple each day for the 4 days before the operation.

Offline ollie

• Posting Member
Hey Darkstar,

So are you in with him next Tuesday then? I'm in on Wednesday so our paths will probably cross.

Best of luck with it all, looking forward to seeing how yours goes.

Ollie

Offline darkstar

• Silver Member
Hows it going Ollie. I'm in on the wednesday as well, so I'm sure we'll either bump into each other in a haze of nerves or a haze of drugs ;) When I was pencilled in I was one of many being done that day! I'm glad there's someone else on here who'll be in the exact same stage of recovery as me. Hope it all goes well for both of us.

Offline darkstar

• Silver Member
Well the last few days have been a challenge. Explaining the fact I'm not drinking alcohol is tough, especially when I'm at the pub with a load of mates and they are up for a night out in town. I wen't and struggled through without drinking, but it was difficult, But I didn't touch a drop, so it's a small victory. I've also been climbing for the last time before surgery yesterday and I played a huge 2.5 hour session of squash today, dripping in sweat. I'm just making the most of the last few days before a couple of month off. It's also good to keep busy so it keeps my mind off wednesday. I've not even though about it in the past 3 days. Off to the cinema tonight, playing golf tomorrow. I'm not going to touch a weight now as I don't was to give my body anything else to heal.

Offline rasputin

• Silver Member
I found avoiding alcohol really difficult. I played the antibiotics card and it worked OK, kind of helped that I had some lying around just incase some douche called me out!

Re squash, I played a game yesterday which was exactly 2 weeks post op. I felt my chest rip on a few back hands (slightly painful!) but no swelling or lasting pain so all is good. Probably recommend leaving it like 16 days for squash post op.

Offline kingboob

I found avoiding alcohol really difficult. I played the antibiotics card and it worked OK, kind of helped that I had some lying around just incase some douche called me out!

I can never understand this situation at all.  Surely if you don't wish to drink alcohol it is nobody else's business and should not require a reason or justification from yourself.

Also, while it is best to avoid using alcohol while on any medication, I'm pretty sure that alcohol does not interact with most commonly used antibiotics. 

Offline darkstar

• Silver Member

I can never understand this situation at all.  Surely if you don't wish to drink alcohol it is nobody else's business and should not require a reason or justification from yourself.

Well in my case, i've always loved beer. Drinking plays a big part in my social scene. Either down the local for a few, at a beer festival or on a night out downing jager-bombs. it's not the only thing we do (all love sport) but when I suddenly say I'm not drinking, it's bound to bring questions. Nobody tried to get me to drink, or criticised me, just a lot of banter flying about. But a night in town isn't much fun sober when everyone else is smashed.

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024