Author Topic: Post surgery question.  (Read 4720 times)

Offline shiftend

• Posting Member
Hi, Im booked in for surgery with Mr Karadis next week, and will be having a general aneasthetic, this will be as a day case. I only have a small case, and so will not be having allot of tissue removed.

I am currently undecided about whether I should just get a taxi from the hospital to either the train station (1.5 hour journey) or coach station (2.5-3 hour journey). The other option is for me to book a hotel close by and just get a taxi from hospital to hotel, and then return home the following day.

Any thoughts on this, especially from those who have had this procedure.
Many thanks for your help.

Offline trashed

• Posting Member
Hi mate, I would say stay overnight. Are you going to be travelling alone?  I was fine travelling after 24 hours & it is good being in your own bed.

Good luck with the op.

Offline sjwsjw

• Gold Member
I had surgery with karidis, you can find my board on the second page of these forums (I really should update it). I got a taxi to the train station for a 3 hour train journey the same day. Personally I found the taxi a little daunting because of all the range of motions a car goes through and I was worried about pulling or straining something. The train was fine once I was on it. It's obviously a much smoother and more restricted movement wise and once I sat down I was much more relaxed about it.

I don't think I would have done a road journey for that time, not without stressing the whole way. I'd either take the train or stay the night. Personally I was keen to just get back home to chill there.

Good luck with the surgery, it's not so bad as long as you know what to expect (read people's logs) and you except that you will go through it with the same issues as 90% as everyone else. All about time but the end is in site after the op at least!

Offline about2change

• Silver Member
I took a cab back to my house that very same day. The speed bumps did feel rather uncomfortable. But I'm sure a train would be much more comfortable once you're on.

Good luck

Offline shiftend

• Posting Member
Okay thanks for the replies, I really just want to check that getting a coach/train home will be safe. I have had an aneasthetic before, but I cant remember what effect it had on me afterwards. I dont want to be stumbling around out of it,being sick and falling asleep everywhere on the way home...or is it really not that bad?! Thanks.

Offline about2change

• Silver Member
its really not that bad mate. Honestly, I was writing an essay on land law within 4/5 hours of being released from hospital lol..Recovery is sometimes individual thought, but you'll be alright.. Walk around the room before you go home just to make sure that you are all good before leaving the hospital..

Offline shiftend

• Posting Member
Cool ok, I'll probably just get the train back then as its quicker and should be smoother, and book myself a seat on it, as if Im released from hospital at 5pm, its going to be right into rush hour traffic and trains.

Offline sjwsjw

• Gold Member
Yea it's not so bad. Give yourself an hour or so to get to the train station so you don't need to rush around.

Offline shiftend

• Posting Member
I'll post how it all goes. So far I have to say that the communication, information and professionalism of Mr Karadis and his staff have been really excellent.

Offline shiftend

• Posting Member
In for my op tomorrow. For now I seem to have gone past the nervous stage, and am now feeling pretty excited. Looking forward to a trip to London and having the following week off work. I have a good excuse to spend the entire Fri, Sat and Sun sat in front of the TV watching the F1 and 6 nations now.

Offline McGilli

• Silver Member
good luck, any BEFORE pictures so we can all see the difference later??

Offline sjwsjw

• Gold Member
Good luck mate.

As long as you know what you have to go through (it's nothing really) and except you have to get through it the process isn't so bad. Time is your friend from here on out. The end is in site, eyes on the prize lol =)

Offline shiftend

• Posting Member
All done, went well. Left home at 645am and got home at 845pm. Felt like a bit of mad day going all the way to London, going under a general aneasthetic, coming back to normal then coming back home all in one day! Have just been taking it really easy today. Changed all the dressings (peeling them off was a bitch!) this afternoon and had a shower and cant believe how flat my chest is, after growing kind of used to it looking like it has for 11 odd years. The last time it looked like that I was child!Gonna be in this compression garment 24/7 for next 13 days now. Now its just about time and patience!

Offline McGilli

• Silver Member
Don't be in a rush to get out of the compression garment after 13 days.

There's been a few discussion about how long to wear the vests. And the vests help with swelling.

So, just saying don't be determined that after 13 days you take the vest off.

Good luck!

Offline shiftend

• Posting Member
Yeah I did briefly skim accross a thread about how long to wear the vest for. The instructions given to me by Mr Karadis state wear it 24/7 for 2 weeks, then day OR night for 2 weeks after that. I was probably going to wear it at night, or maybe in the day for the first week then night for the second week. Reason being I'll be moving around allot more during the day, and so I thoght it might be good to have a bit of extra support to start with and keep everything in line. Dont know if anyones got any thoughts on this? Its a bit uncomfortable under my armpits at the moment, apart from that I dont mind it to much.

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024