Author Topic: Surgery with Dr. Karidis - post op update  (Read 4652 times)

Offline readytogo

• Posting Member
Surgery with Dr. Karidis - post op update
Hi,

Firstly thanks to all those posting their stories this has been so helpful and given me the confidence to actually get the procedure done myself.

I'm booked in with Dr. Karidis after seeing all the feedback. I had my consultation on the 11th September with my op on the 17th October. (I was offered a cancellation on the 17th September but this was too quick)!

I received the information pack in the post and it says that its imperative that someone collects you from the hospital. I was planning on doing it on my own as I'm not letting anyone know other than my brother. I just want to know if anyone else has done this? I've never had a GA before so I guess its tricky to know how I will feel post op. I have about an hours journey - tube to Waterloo then 30 mins on the train.

Any steer greatly appreciated.
Thanks
« Last Edit: October 21, 2013, 05:22:24 PM by readytogo »

Offline g3579

• Bronze Member
Re: Surgery with Dr. Karidis - do I need someone with me?
I had my partner come get me about 4.30/5ish, and I came to in the recovery room just after 10am (I was first in at 8am). Whilst I was fine, I wouldn't have wanted to get public transport home in rush hour.

We got a cab back home to Clapham (it was only £25) and I obviously had someone to carry my bag for me to. I'd say if you're on you're own, if you can you may as well stretch to a cab. After all, what's another £50-60 (don't know where you live but presume it's Surrey/Hampshire kind of area if it's 30 mins out of Waterloo), when you've spent over £4k.

And if you ask nicely and in advance, maybe your nurse will carry your bag down to the cab for you.

Good luck and well done for getting it sorted :)

Offline g3579

• Bronze Member
To answer your actual question (!) I'd say if you get a cab you could do it on your own. You don't have to leave the hospital until you feel up to it.

Offline readytogo

• Posting Member
Thanks for your replies g3579. Your right I'm in Surrey. I just checked a cab and its £40 so I will go with that option. Just a question, you mention "carry your bag"? I was planning on travelling light, wearing the same stuff home as up there including a nice loose zip up top. The only thing I was going to bring were some disposable slippers only because they mention it in the information pack. Do I need anything else?

Also thanks for your post it was really helpful and informative. How's your recovery going?

Offline Jonny5

• Posting Member
I agree you could do it alone if you're trying to keep it quiet but be prepared that your movement will be pretty restricted. A nurse could help you get dressed if needed. I found getting into the car a bit uncomfortable but managed it unassisted. The looser the better for the top. I would suggest tracksuit bottoms too, I wore jeans and it was a bit of a mission. Also slip on shoes.

I took a bag with slippers and a book in, that's all I think. I didn't use the slippers so I would say don't bother, they give you some grippy socks (a bit like Totes) that you have to wear. You change into some (extremely sexy) paper pants as soon as you get there so you don't need a change of underwear. Thinking about it, the only reason you need a bag is for the stuff you take away. You get a spare compression garment and your painkillers/arnica etc. but even a carrier bag would do for that.

I had my op at about 9.30am and by 3pm I was harrassing the staff to let me go! It was my first time under GA and was nowhere near as bad as I thought. I was feeling awake and ok by 11/11.30 and destroyed my meal and a lot of water/tea almost immediately. By the time they came to check if I'd been to the toilet I'd actually been 3 times. Karidis' nurse came to see me at about 4.15pm and I left immediately after feeling fine. Hope all goes well :)

Offline readytogo

• Posting Member
Thanks Jonny5 for the run down on the day and the tips about tracksuit bottoms / and slip ons! That's why this forum is so good is that these are the details I would have never of thought of!  Hopefully, I'll be feeling as chipper as you post op! I can't wait to try my paper pants! lol

P.s - Your results look great.

Offline readytogo

• Posting Member
OK, I'm on the 1 week count down now and at present feel like my life is on hold until the op on the 17th October. I'm not nervous at the moment but I'm sure I will be come the day. As part of preparing for everything I've got 1 week off work, but I was wondering how noticeable the compression vest is under clothes? I will have to wear it for 5 days to work and wonder whether it will notice under a reasonably good quality office shirt? Or will I need a jumper / suit jacket on all day?

Any steer greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Offline g3579

• Bronze Member
I don't wear smart clothes to work but I'd say if you wear a dark shirt then it probably won't show through. I'd definitely steer clear of white or very light shirts. Perhaps something with a bit of detail, eg checked, would help disguise what's underneath. I wouldn't wear anything too skinny or slim fit either.

Agree that you don't actually need a bag, and slippers are also not required.

All the best and I'm looking forward to checking in to read your updates :)

(PS My recovery is going well - thanks for asking. I must must must update my thread when I'm less busy.)

Offline readytogo

• Posting Member
Thanks G3579 and glad to hear things are going well :)

I'll have to check out the shirt situation once I've got my vests, but its no hassle to wear a jumper especially now the weather is getting colder. I intend to do an update with "my experience" of the day which hopefully may prove useful to someone else planning or thinking about surgery with Dr. Karidis.

Roll on Thursday!

Offline ScaredGuy

• Posting Member
Hi mate, I just wanna say good luck for tomorrow, and we'll be looking forward to having you on "the other side". :)

Offline g3579

• Bronze Member
Hey, how'd it go? :)

Hope you're well :)

Offline readytogo

• Posting Member
Thanks ScaredGuy and G3579 for you best wishes this is really appreciated. 

I'm on the other side now although things unfortunately did not go completely smoothly as I had to spend an extra night in hospital due to developing a large Haematoma on my right side which required me to go back to the theatre for another GA that same evening. However, I'm back home now all sorted and feeling pretty good considering. Fortunately I was in great hands with Dr. Karidis and his team, they were absolutely first class. So I'm on the mend now and in the next day or two I will post back up with the whole story and perhaps a few shots. Thanks.

Offline ScaredGuy

• Posting Member
Wow I'm sorry about that mate I really hope you're ok. Things didn't go too well for me either (3/10/2013). I had bad reaction to the GA, also my blood pressure dropped during the OP and I was being monitored every hour or 2 hours I can't remember. I remember I got really sick though, but to be honest I feel lucky I didn't have what you had. Hope you're ok mate, welcome to the other side.

Offline readytogo

• Posting Member
Re: Surgery with Dr. Karidis - now on the other side!
Thanks ScaredGuy, yes I'm doing well now. Strangely no pain, despite no pain killers, although on my right side of my chest down to my groin area is black with bruising which is to be expected and what Dr. Karidis warned because of the Haematoma. (My left side only has a tiny bit of bruising).

Also thanks for your message earlier (16th), when I was back in my room post op I logged onto the forum and saw your message which really lifted my spirits.  :)

I read your post and sorry to hear your experience with the anaesthetic was not good, but I think the change from your photos are incredible. How's the recovery going now as you're over 2 weeks? Like yourself I'm waiting to get back to the gym, but realise it may take me a while.

Offline readytogo

• Posting Member
Ok so now I’m post procedure, I thought it might be useful for anyone else considering surgery with Mr  Karidis just to give a run down on the day. However, I will also have to note that I unfortunately did have a complication but this should in no way put you off at all as I would go through it all again just accepting that in my instance I was the very rare case where the body does throw a complication. But most importantly from my perspective was having a fantastic surgeon in Dr. Karidis and his supporting team at the St. John & St. Elizabeth hospital to make sure I was OK. 

My appointment time was 08:30 a.m. so I made sure I was there early at 07:50. After checking in at reception I went straight up to my room where a nurse checked me in immediately and ran through my medical history and my details. The room was nice with a separate bathroom and TV etc. You then change into a nice pair of paper pants  :) and your gown. Also a pair of surgery socks (to stop DVT) and a pair of short grippy socks to go over them. The lunch menu arrived soon after and I chose my options. In bed and settled at 08:30.

At 09:40 Dr. Karidis came in and took some photos and also drew on my chest the area’s needing attention and a quick chat to put my nerves at ease. To be fair I still was not that nervous. Then at 10:45 I was taken down and met the anaesthetist who was very nice and took me through exactly what to expect and asked my medical history. (This was the first time I had GA). I recall glancing up at the clock at 11:00 just before I was put out. Next thing I was in the recovery room at 11:45. I felt Ok but a bit drowsy and sore in the throat. After 30 mins I was taken back up to my room. I started drinking water straight away and by 12:30 I was feeling awake. By 13:30 I had lunch and had a good appetite to finish everything ordered and drink more water. As the afternoon progressed I felt better and better and I was walking around and felt completely Ok to go home. However, despite drinking 2 litres of water I still couldn’t go to the toilet and they won‘t let you leave until you can. Also the right side of my chest where I had the most amount of gland removed had swollen up considerably. I spoke to the nurse at 16:00 and she called Dr. Karidis who came to see me and explained that sometimes you can get a blockage so the excess fluid that you should expect to lose into your bandages can become trapped. Therefore, he manually aspirated the area to remove the excess and this seemed to do the trick as the swelling was released. I expect in 99% of cases this does the trick, however, by 18:00 the same side had swelled again and I still hadn’t been to the toilet. Therefore, the nurses consulted Dr. Karidis and it was decided that to make sure everything was sorted I needed to go back to theatre at 21:00 under GA. This was possible as I hadn’t eaten since about 14:00. Obviously this was  not the best news but I’m so glad that I was still in hospital when this happened and not at home. By 21:15 I was in recovery and by 21:45 back in my room with everything sorted. The next morning Dr. Karidis had come in to check on me and confirmed everything was successful and by 11:45 a.m. I was discharged. From the start of this thread my question was around whether you can do it on your own. To confirm I did do it on my own and went home via a cab. To be fair I think it would have been more stressful putting a friend or family member through this! As mentioned earlier I was very fortunate to be in great hands with Dr. Karidis and his team who were absolute first class. This really brings it home that you need to have full confidence in who and where your having your procedure done.  He even rang me on Saturday to check and see I was OK and I’m also popping into to see him this week just again to check progress. 

4 days later I feel fine and have been out every day for an hours walk which I find helps rather than being cooped up all day. Surprisingly I have very little pain and haven‘t had to use any pain killers. On my left side I’ve got hardly any bruising but on my right its one hell of a bruise which has now gone south to my groin area (which I was warned may happen), which I guess is to be expected considering the same area has had to be treated 3 times! I’m happy with things so far although I will have to be patient as its difficult to get a clear picture with the bruising.  I plan to come back with updates and still have the target of 2 weeks to go back to the gym for a light leg session!  :)

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024