Author Topic: Surgery booked with Mr Levick April 18  (Read 9734 times)

Offline Samispeed

• Posting Member
Hi guys, I'm another one of those guys that's been reading posts on here for over 3 years now and Iv finally got to a stage where I can afford it and have time off at work too. Some if these threads I have seen over the years have really inspired me to go and get the surgery done!
Iv decided to go with levick as he seemed the most popular and after I spoke with him I definatly knew he was the right guy.
He have me all the confidence that everything will be fine!
My surgery is less than 2 weeks away now and I was hoping I could have a few pointers and tips from the experienced guys on here.
I work as a mechanic at a dealership and I've got just over 2 weeks holiday for this surgery.
 Hoping the pain will go?? Also I haven't told anyone at work about the surgery as it's personal and everything I really didn't want anyone knowing....I'm thinking I will post up some pics before surgery anyway.
I was thinking of cutting my body fat as low as I can pre op so it's easier for levick to remove ALL of the tissue or do you think I should be alright?
I am 5ft8 muscular build at 80kg I would say my body fat % is around 20% and I was hoping to cut pre op...

Any suggestions on anything that would help me along the way will be amazing.

Thanks in advance
Also sorry if I haven't posted properly as I'm new to this 👍

Offline Myers

• Bronze Member
Hi guys, I'm another one of those guys that's been reading posts on here for over 3 years now and Iv finally got to a stage where I can afford it and have time off at work too. Some if these threads I have seen over the years have really inspired me to go and get the surgery done!
Iv decided to go with levick as he seemed the most popular and after I spoke with him I definatly knew he was the right guy.
He have me all the confidence that everything will be fine!
My surgery is less than 2 weeks away now and I was hoping I could have a few pointers and tips from the experienced guys on here.
I work as a mechanic at a dealership and I've got just over 2 weeks holiday for this surgery.
 Hoping the pain will go?? Also I haven't told anyone at work about the surgery as it's personal and everything I really didn't want anyone knowing....I'm thinking I will post up some pics before surgery anyway.
I was thinking of cutting my body fat as low as I can pre op so it's easier for levick to remove ALL of the tissue or do you think I should be alright?
I am 5ft8 muscular build at 80kg I would say my body fat % is around 20% and I was hoping to cut pre op...

Any suggestions on anything that would help me along the way will be amazing.

Thanks in advance
Also sorry if I haven't posted properly as I'm new to this 👍

Hey mate, welcome. I would say working as a mechanic you may need more time off like an extra week or 2, you'll still be sore at that stage and mobility wont be amazing, I'm sure if you take it slow though it should be fine, just don't expect to be bouncing around the place aha. I went back to work after 3 weeks i think and it was still pretty tight reaching things and using any movements involving my chest obviously. I made it known at work that i was having an op but only my close mates new what it really was, for the rest i just gave them some other excuse for having chest surgery and no one inquired too closely so it was all good. I think its a good idea dropping bf, that's what i did, i mean you're spending the money you may as well make sure its as successful as possible and dropping bf will certainly help with that. In all honesty this surgery is one of, if not, the best decisions i have ever made and i do not regret it what so ever.

Offline Samispeed

• Posting Member
Thanks mate, yeah I'm trying to drop bf now but it's tough!! Will have to look at some programmes. Yeah I was hoping I may be able to do light duties at work when I return. I think I got a total of 20 days off if I add my surgery day. So that's just under 3 weeks.
How long are you post op now ?
The annoying thing about my chest is that my nipples fold or point lol! That's the annoying thing. And I really hope that disappears as it shows through t shirts shirts and even jumpers!
But dr levick seemed very confident in getting rid of it! 
I read your post Myers and it said something about taking medicine before surgery? I didn't get any info from levick about this. All he told me was to avoid large quantities of garlic tomatoes and vitamin e.
I read that guys on here take anarcic or something like that I can't remember so sorry about the spelling. Also what does that med/sup do?
Cheers

Offline Myers

• Bronze Member
Thanks mate, yeah I'm trying to drop bf now but it's tough!! Will have to look at some programmes. Yeah I was hoping I may be able to do light duties at work when I return. I think I got a total of 20 days off if I add my surgery day. So that's just under 3 weeks.
How long are you post op now ?
The annoying thing about my chest is that my nipples fold or point lol! That's the annoying thing. And I really hope that disappears as it shows through t shirts shirts and even jumpers!
But dr levick seemed very confident in getting rid of it! 
I read your post Myers and it said something about taking medicine before surgery? I didn't get any info from levick about this. All he told me was to avoid large quantities of garlic tomatoes and vitamin e.
I read that guys on here take anarcic or something like that I can't remember so sorry about the spelling. Also what does that med/sup do?
Cheers

Yeh bf is tough, it took me so long to get the right mindset but now i tend to eat clean and its not an issue, the important thing is to keep on it, if you fall off the wagon get back on and eventually you wont even think about it it just becomes routine. I don't even want to eat badly anymore (apart from easter eggs at the moment aha). I could give you some advice on programs if you want? Yeh the nipple issue should be resolved don't worry about it!! I just dug out the info he gave me and it said:

"Take arnica, one tablet should be taken twice daily for one week prior to surgery.

On the morning of the op, you should take two tablets and after surgery continue taking two tablets every four hours for another week.

Then reduce the dosage to one tablet twice daily for a further week.

Then reduce the dosage to one tablet twice daily for a further week.

Discontinue two weeks post op"

Arnica basically is meant to help with bruising, swelling and to aid healing after trauma but I wouldn't worry about it too much though because its not really been proven if it works or not i think. I know Donut on here speaks highly of taking pineapple juice and the ingredient in pineapples that helps with bruising. In my own experience I'm not too sure if the arnica worked or not but i didnt have much bruising at all so it can't really hurt to get some, i think mine cost under a fiver for enough tablets for my dosage.

Offline Samispeed

• Posting Member
That's what I meant! Arnica! Hoping I can get that from my local shops like holland and barrats or maybe gnc. My surgery is in 11 days now so I bet get some ASAP!
Mr levick didn't tell me anything about taking it though.. So I may give him a quick phone call and double check?
And about the programmes mate, the more help you can give me the better bud! So yes please!
Iv downloaded the my fitness pal app today so I'm logging everything just to get general idea of my intake;)
So pineapple juice is also good!
I best go get a crate then haha

Offline Myers

• Bronze Member
That's what I meant! Arnica! Hoping I can get that from my local shops like holland and barrats or maybe gnc. My surgery is in 11 days now so I bet get some ASAP!
Mr levick didn't tell me anything about taking it though.. So I may give him a quick phone call and double check?
And about the programmes mate, the more help you can give me the better bud! So yes please!
Iv downloaded the my fitness pal app today so I'm logging everything just to get general idea of my intake;)
So pineapple juice is also good!
I best go get a crate then haha

Yeh its worth mentioning to him, perhaps hes stopped telling people to take it because its not really necessary. In regards to a good weights program it depends on your goal. Im trying to build a decent level of strength before i start doing more muscle building hypertrophy work but thinking about it i probably should have started doing more hypertrophy stuff for my chest just to pack it out more, oh well. Ive been using sl 5x5 and there's also starting strength, really good beginners programs to build muscle and good strength because the stronger you get the more muscle you can accumulate. That's my reasoning anyway. Plus if you're trying to strip fat combine a good weights program with cardio. I believe its mainly about your diet though so having my fitness pal is really good, thats what i use although its going to be hard to achieve anything significant in 11 days. You can apply it all anyway for when your post op :)

Offline Squire

• Posting Member
Good luck mate. You'll see from the amount of people that post about Levick on here that he is massively experienced and held in the highest regard. I'm approaching 2 weeks post op now and wouldn't be comfortable about returning to work with any manual aspect, not because of the pain but because of the restricted movement in you arms.

I look forward to following your progress.

Offline Samispeed

• Posting Member
Oh gosh, I hope I can atleast be able to drive after 2/3weeks! And when I'm at work I will hopefully try to get away with paperwork. Fingers crossed! :/
About the programme I know 11 days is not long now... So I will focus all my attention to post op now! I'm still going to go gym as much as I can pre op so Iv got as much muscle mass as possible! That way it will be easier for dr levick to remove the dreaded tissue. I didn't manage to phone him today but I will try as soon as I can about the arnica supp, but I'm definatly going to buy lots of pineapple juice!
Well off to the gym now for intense chest work out!
Need to take lots of pre op photos for memories..

Offline ian89

• Silver Member
The folder they gave me on the consultation day tells you about taking Arnica. Has that been took out now in the last few weeks? Definately told me to take it.

Offline Myers

• Bronze Member
Oh gosh, I hope I can atleast be able to drive after 2/3weeks! And when I'm at work I will hopefully try to get away with paperwork. Fingers crossed! :/
About the programme I know 11 days is not long now... So I will focus all my attention to post op now! I'm still going to go gym as much as I can pre op so Iv got as much muscle mass as possible! That way it will be easier for dr levick to remove the dreaded tissue. I didn't manage to phone him today but I will try as soon as I can about the arnica supp, but I'm definatly going to buy lots of pineapple juice!
Well off to the gym now for intense chest work out!
Need to take lots of pre op photos for memories..

You'll be able to drive fine, don't worry. I had to cycle to work at around that time after and although I felt quite restricted in having my arms in a slightly raised position to hold onto the handle bars there was no issue, I'd imagine holding a steering wheel would be similar but without the shock from bumps in the path.

Offline Donut

• Gold Member
Yeh, Arnica can be got from Holland and Barrett or Boots - it's in the herbal remedies section.

Pineapple juice and Bromelain tablets - the good active ingredient in Pineapple which comes from the stems (also from Holland & Barrett) are to be taken AFTER surgery - NOT before - as taking them before may lead to increased risk of internal bleeding and bruising etc. - can't remember where I read that, but it is important to note!

I also took (and continue to) a 1,000mg Vitamin C a day to help with general recovery, and a good multivitamin too every day just to make sure I'm getting everything body is likely to need to aid recovery (as although I don't eat a terrible diet, it probably isn't the best either I have to admit!)

Look forward to following your progress! - won't go wrong with Mr Levick.

Offline Samispeed

• Posting Member
Thanks guys, for giving great advice! Really appreciate it!
I paid for the surgery today + the extra person over night stay which came to £3880 luckily I got this quote before they put the prices up and I heard it's in the region of £4200 now! Extra hospital bills I think?!
I will have to pop down and get some arnica as soon as then.
When shall I start taking them and how many milligrams if it's possible to tell please.
Also I saw lots of creams but not many tablet versions.
Dw donut I also ordered a crate of pineapple juice also and will be getting a pot of bromeline for after..
I'm glad about the driving situation Myers, it puts my mind at ease knowing you were riding at that time so hopefully driving shouldn't be too bad!
Also Ian I didn't receive a folder when I had a consultation and if I did I must have lost it as I had my consultation may 2013... I best get on the phone to levick and see what else I need to do pre op!!!!

Offline Donut

• Gold Member
Because Arnica is a homeopathic medicine, the lower the dose the stronger it is, supposedly... sounds like bunkum to me I have to confess, but I thought what the hell?, spending nearly £4k I wasn't going to whine about a few pounds for a pot of tablets that may or may not work! - just followed the advice.

Just ask in H&B or Boots - they'll find them for you... I did that in the end coz I couldn't find them either! - they're a tiny little pot about the size of an AA battery, and the actual pills inside are miniscule.

Offline Samispeed

• Posting Member
I got a replacement folder after the initial consultation sent to me via email this morning and includes information about arnica :) if anyone needs a copy just pm me or email dr levick and they will send you one.
Going to get my pot of pills tomorrow hopefully as Friday will be the week before the op!!! Coming round so quick now!

Offline Samispeed

• Posting Member
Hi guys just wondering should I avoid drinking pineapple juice before the op as I'm in on Friday (two days)
Or is there anything I should take
What clothes should I take
I think I have some baggy hoody but I'm worrying te zips might et caught with the dressings
Also what food shall I be taking after

Feeling the nerves now

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024