Author Topic: Had my consultation today..  (Read 2158 times)

Offline JackY16

• Posting Member
Hey guys had my consultation with mr Levick today... As expected he was a very relaxed, understanding and genuine man.

After an anxious wait it was fair to say that I was absolutely bricking it haha, sweating and shaking but after I was fine and re-assured, my consultation lasted around 45minutes and involved quite a lot of paper filling, final cost came to £4060 plus the two compression garments what you have to wear in the night after your surgery which is £56 pound a piece.  I think I'm paying on the day of my operation as my parents have helped towards this ontop of my saving up.

My surgery date is WELL earlier than I expected I could of got. The date is 26th of June, 17days after the consultation which is amazing to be honest, and I am so looking forward to it. At the moment I'm just figuring a way out  how to break the news out to work,  although it shouldn't be a problem, only thing running through my mind at the moment is the thought of summer shopping and going on holiday etc.

I need some people on what to advise me to prepare before my operation... Any help and stories of how you feel after the surgery which be of much help,  onwards and upwards ;D

Offline Donut

• Gold Member
Congrats on getting on the road! - my thread is very long now, but a lot of detail and nearly 100 photos, so might be worth a glance through?

Offline Swils29

• Bronze Member
Congrats mate. You've made the first steps and everything will happen so fast from here on in. You'll be lying in the priory recovering in no time!

Did levick give you an information pack? This is pretty good and tells you what to do pre op. Things like start taking arnica leading up to it. If you work out this has to stop 72 hours pre op. Also no alcohol for a few days post op (can't remember exact timescale on that one).

Consider things to take with you...I took a loose fitting button up shirt to wear for the journey home after the op, your mobility is really limited and getting a tshirt over my head first few days was really difficult, so shirt was easier to get on and off. Zip up hoody/tracksuit top would be fine too!

Is someone staying with you as you will need to book them a bed (extra £75 but that gets their meals too). If you book early as for the double room and they will get a proper bed. If not it's a fold out bed! I found it helpful having someone there to help me, saved constantly ringing nurses (although nothing was a bother for them...they were fantastic).

Also will you be staying overnight beforehand? Loads of hotels in Birmingham. We stayed in ibis about 5 mins drive from priory. Cheap and location means easy commute on the day of the op.

Food is really good at the priory. I found it difficult to swallow at my first meal post op, so take this into consideration when ordering lunch. The lemon sorbet for afters was lush and felt great! Eating dinner was much better and much easier to get down!

Anyway that's a few things to think of.. I'm sure you will have loads more questions. I'd say read through the other posts on here, and just post anything you are unsure of....I've found people on here very helpful !

Good luck!

Offline AchillesUK

• Silver Member
Hey guys had my consultation with mr Levick today... As expected he was a very relaxed, understanding and genuine man.

After an anxious wait it was fair to say that I was absolutely bricking it haha, sweating and shaking but after I was fine and re-assured, my consultation lasted around 45minutes and involved quite a lot of paper filling, final cost came to £4060 plus the two compression garments what you have to wear in the night after your surgery which is £56 pound a piece.  I think I'm paying on the day of my operation as my parents have helped towards this ontop of my saving up.

My surgery date is WELL earlier than I expected I could of got. The date is 26th of June, 17days after the consultation which is amazing to be honest, and I am so looking forward to it. At the moment I'm just figuring a way out  how to break the news out to work,  although it shouldn't be a problem, only thing running through my mind at the moment is the thought of summer shopping and going on holiday etc.

I need some people on what to advise me to prepare before my operation... Any help and stories of how you feel after the surgery which be of much help,  onwards and upwards ;D

Hey Jack,

Congrats on having your op date fixed on 26th.

My op with Levick is the day before on the 25th!

Just a quick question - did Mr Levick recommend that you buy two x £56 vests?

From what I've read elsewhere on this forum, most people only bought one and were also given an 'overnight' one at the Priory, which they were allowed to take home.

I've heard the vests are way overpriced, so I'd be reluctant to buy two unless I really had to.

Offline Swils29

• Bronze Member
You get a Macom compression tube put on you on the operating table. You have to keep this on for 1 week solid then you move onto the vest which you are supposed to wear 24/7 for a further 2-4 weeks (4 weeks seems to be the consensus on here). 

I've managed fine by wearing the vest all day, taking it off to wash and dry just before bed, and switching back to the Macom vest to sleep in.

At first I wished is bought 2 vests (was a pain having to wash it every night) but I soon got in to a routine. If money is no object then buy 2, otherwise save yourself £60 and but yourself a couple of nice tshirts to show off your new flat chest!

Offline AchillesUK

• Silver Member
You get a Macom compression tube put on you on the operating table. You have to keep this on for 1 week solid then you move onto the vest which you are supposed to wear 24/7 for a further 2-4 weeks (4 weeks seems to be the consensus on here). 

I've managed fine by wearing the vest all day, taking it off to wash and dry just before bed, and switching back to the Macom vest to sleep in.

At first I wished is bought 2 vests (was a pain having to wash it every night) but I soon got in to a routine. If money is no object then buy 2, otherwise save yourself £60 and but yourself a couple of nice tshirts to show off your new flat chest!

Ah, k. Thanks for that informative reply. I think everyone has their own routine/system.

So do you handwash your vest every night?

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024