Author Topic: Another newbie going to Mr Levick  (Read 15069 times)

Offline textilemerchant

• Silver Member
Hi,

Same as most people on here, very long time lurker but have now finally made the decision to get my chest sorted out and have a consulation in a few weeks time.
Ive took many many years to get to this point and have been getting through day to day by wearing very tight compression vests to hide my problem.  I've now saved up the money but probably the most important thing for me was having my first ever hospital trip and surgery last year so i realised I could get through the general anesthetic etc no problems.
My only other problem is I live on an island so have to get flights to birmingham but after seeing all your results (especially donut as his were a similar size to mine) I am positive all the faff to get to Birmingham and back are going to be worth it.
I just hope I wont need skin removed.  That's my one biggest fear as I am guessing the recovery time would increase alot.

One question I have is has anyone had surgery with Mr Levick on a monday or tuesday?  I was hoping to get it done as early in the week as possible (hoping in the middle of may if he has availabilty)

Cheers.

Offline hopetochange

• Bronze Member
Good Luck! You won't regret it. I'm not far off 3 months post op and it's getting better every day, even now!

I think he only does surgery on a Weds & Thurs. Consultations on Mon/Tues. Something you'll have to ask him.

Offline textilemerchant

• Silver Member
Cheers.  Yes I'm sure you are right.  I was being a bit dim :) I can just take wed-wed off work so still get the same amount of time to recover :)
One other thing I was wondering about was after surgery and getting home do seat belts hurt too much?

Offline j86ui

• Posting Member
You will be completely numb on your entire chest for weeks, plus you will be wearing the binder which is very protecting. I'm assuming you will be staying the night, only bit of advice I would give you is to bring ear plugs. The liquid cooling pump they wire you up to kind of explodes to deflate every minute or so, and every time it did it it make me jump and even made my heart race as I was drifting off to sleep, at around 4 AM I asked if they would turn it off which they did and I immediately fell asleep but it gave me a terrible nights sleep up to that point.

Offline textilemerchant

• Silver Member
Thanks very much.  I always worry about the oddest things :)
Cheers for the heads up on the machine too.

Offline textilemerchant

• Silver Member
My consultation is tomorow and I just thought do you get given leaflets and stuff to take home to read?   As I have to get a flight home I do t really want security being able to see what the leaflets are about so will have to think of a way round that. 

Offline BossManG

• Silver Member
You can get them sent by email mate

Offline textilemerchant

• Silver Member
Oh that's great news! Thanks that's another worry off my mind then.

Offline textilemerchant

• Silver Member
Had my consultation today. As everyone has said Mr Levick is very friendly and even his comment about my chest being "massive" had me laughing.   I asked whether I am on for biggest this year and he said I might be in the running for a rosette :)
Have booked my surgery for mid May.  My only worries are now he said no stressing after the surgery but I will be stressing like mad going home on a flight the day after. 
Also Odd question but do the reception at the hospital phone a taxi for you when you are leaving?

Offline wbay21

• Bronze Member
I'd imagine they would. I took a taxi number in with me and called them myself anyway... However they are only too pleased to help.

Offline textilemerchant

• Silver Member
Cheers. I have a plan now to deal with that,  I stress a bit so now I know you are not allowed to stress I'm trying to get all bases covered.

After the op has everyone been ok with pulling a small suitcase or lifting it in taxis etc?

Offline wbay21

• Bronze Member
I'd be very careful with that. I had a small rucksack, nothing more than a daypack with just a change of clothes, bathroom stuff and a kindle. They give you painkillers, anti-biotics and some dressings to take home too. You'll be fine if you keep it at that level. No more than that, you don't want to overdo anything. You'll find you'll lose a lot of mobility in both your armpit areas. Pulling and carrying become strenuous and sore. Keep things to a minimum and take it easy.

Offline textilemerchant

• Silver Member
Cheers mate.  I was going with a rolling suitcase that I could check in at airport to avoid having to lift it into the overhead lockers on the plane but now you have got me thinking I prob could take a very small rucksack and shove it under the seat so avoiding the big lift problem.
Do you not need a dressing gown Or anything like that?

Offline wbay21

• Bronze Member
You'll need PJ bottoms  or shorts or something to wear into theatre, they asked if I had a dressing gown, I didn't so they gave me two of those theatre gowns. One to wear as a theatre gown and the other to wear over it as a dressing gown.

Offline textilemerchant

• Silver Member
Thanks, that's a great help.  If I can get away with no dressing gown i can travel much much lighter.

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024