Author Topic: Surgery with Levick: 06/05/15  (Read 4087 times)

Offline jayjay

• Posting Member
Hi everyone,

I travelled to Birmingham mid April to have a consultation with Mr Levick.
He answered all my questions and put me totally at ease with the situation.
Following this I went home and after a few days booked in to have the surgery on 6th May.

So far I've just been preparing for the big day :D, booked 10 days off work, kept off the drink for a few weeks and avoided the blood thinning foods that he mentioned.

I have also ordered two compression garments from eurosurgical, i would normally go for a large according to the measurements they give you, but i went for the medium and it seems fine. I have tried it on and was quite impressed at how light and thin it is.
The only problem is the straps as the velcro bits can show up through some types of clothing.

For anyone that has been through the op already. What type of luggage would you recommend taking? I will be getting the train home and if i can't lift or pull a light suitcase it may be a problem.

Also, are you able to put on a t-shirt post-surgery or would a shirt/hoody be better?

If anyone has any questions about the consultation etc. feel free to ask...

Cheers
« Last Edit: May 08, 2015, 10:37:38 AM by jayjay »

Offline lc98

• Posting Member
Good luck with your surgery. I had mine last Wednesday and I'm extemely happy! ;D
As far as luggage goes, I only took a small bag to carry on my back - brought a laptop, a toothbrush and spare clothes. It was light enough not to put too much strain on my chest on the way home - I walked back to the train station the day after surgery, and then took a long train journey. I brought along a baggy jumper to put on the next day; it was simple enough and didn't hurt.

Offline textilemerchant

• Silver Member
Nearly the same worries I have.   I am in two weeks after you. :). I'm going for a light rucksack on the recommendation of jb.   I have also bought the same vest as you and the flappy straps were odd to me. But I have safety pinned them down for now in the hope they sort of set in the curled over position :)

Offline jayjay

• Posting Member
Thanks guys!

2 days to go!! I've been fairly busy this week so it really has came around quick

Was reading all the information that Mr. Levick has given me and realised it recommends taking arnica a week before the op.
I have started taking it today, can't imagine it will make too much difference.

Looking forward to this all being over ha. But the bit I'm dreading the most is not showering for a week and no gym for a month  :o

Offline textilemerchant

• Silver Member

Offline wbay21

• Bronze Member
Thanks guys!

2 days to go!! I've been fairly busy this week so it really has came around quick

Was reading all the information that Mr. Levick has given me and realised it recommends taking arnica a week before the op.
I have started taking it today, can't imagine it will make too much difference.

Looking forward to this all being over ha. But the bit I'm dreading the most is not showering for a week and no gym for a month  :o

Good luck!

Offline jayjay

• Posting Member
Just woke up in my room... Very glad to be on the otherside
I went in at 1pm and woke up just after 3pm
For someone who has never had general anaesthetic before or an operation I am very impressed with how quick and easy it was ha

Quite tired at the minute

But if anyone feels they would benefit from me writing up my entire experience I will be happy to do so

Offline mr_m101

• Bronze Member
Congrats. Enjoy the food :)

Offline textilemerchant

• Silver Member
Just woke up in my room... Very glad to be on the otherside
I went in at 1pm and woke up just after 3pm
For someone who has never had general anaesthetic before or an operation I am very impressed with how quick and easy it was ha

Quite tired at the minute

But if anyone feels they would benefit from me writing up my entire experience I will be happy to do so
Yes please since I am next !  ;D

Offline jayjay

• Posting Member
No problem...

I stayed over in Birmingham the night before at the Holiday Inn near New Street Station
The hotel itself was nice enough but quite noisy on the night... I found it very difficult to get to sleep anyway due to nerves etc. but managed to get a couple of hours in the end.

The next morning I checked out and got a taxi to the Priory for half 11
When I arrived the staff showed me to my room and explained how to use the TV controls and heating. After this a nurse came in to take my order for dinner and breakfast :)

Nurses kept coming in every now and again to check certain things and get a urine sample.
They also dropped off the surgery clothing, gown, paper pants and circulation socks which I put on prior to Mr. Levick arriving

After sitting back and watching some TV the anaesthetist came by to answer any questions (i was quite nervous about the GA, but he quickly put me at ease)
Mr. Levick then came in checked some things over and lead me to the pre-op room at 1 o'clock.

Here they lay me down on the bed, and injected something into me hand which made me feel drowsy within seconds... after talking to them for about a minute after this they injected something else and the next thing i remember is waking up in the recovery room haha

I was taken back to my room, i looked at my phone it was just after 3pm. I sent a text to my family to let them know everything was ok, i shut my eyes again and woke up an hour later

They had connected me up the cooling pads, with the macom vest holding them in place and the leg pumps attached and working away

Food them came which was very nice.
The football was on soon after this so i just chilled out and watched the match, then went to sleep after.

The worst part for me in all of this was getting disconnected every time I need to go to the toilet, the first time was a bit strange as I felt fine in the bed but when I stood up I felt quite dizzy, however the nurse wasn't keen to let me stand for very long and quickly got me back into bed.

Also, half way through the night I had one dizzy spell where I thought I was going to be sick, I called for the nurse they came in and opened up the window which helped a lot, i just think the room was very stuffy and getting too warm. All the nurses from my experience were very friendly and happy to help.

Mr. Levick came to see me the next morning and said everything went great. I very surprised how much gland he got out, he said i was in the large category (never expected that)
I had 110g taken from the left side and 77g from the right. 
He gave me the photos to keep, which make me feel a little nauseous to be honest haha

After this I got up and got changed, which was easier than I thought (considering I was there on my own). I then signed out and phoned for a taxi in the reception downstairs and got a lift to New Street station to make my way back home.

I've just been relaxing since I got back, movement is a bit restricted but still managing to cope.
Pain hasn't been to bad and still getting used to the binder.

I'm quite glad I got the train home right away rather than staying in Birmingham another night as I woke up a bit more sore this morning (nothing the medication can't sort out  :))

So far I'm extremely happy with how it has all went, but looking forward to getting a shower and changed into the 2nd stage vest.

If anyone has any questions... ask away!

Offline BossManG

• Silver Member
Well done congrats mate  ;D

Offline textilemerchant

• Silver Member
Thanks.
I am starting to think staying over in a hotel the day after is the wrong choice.

Offline jayjay

• Posting Member
The surgery will affect everyone differently it just depends how you are feeling
Am I right in thinking you will be flying home?

I think if I was travelling by plane I would have stayed an extra night

Offline textilemerchant

• Silver Member
Yes,  I just looked into it and i would lose my 76 quid for the hotel and be charged 50 quid to change my flight.
As much as I just want to get home i think i will just have to incur a day sitting in a hotel room watching TV.

ah well.

rotors

« Last Edit: December 29, 2015, 12:37:00 PM by rotors »

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024