Author Topic: Newby, had it years - op in 2 weeks  (Read 1982 times)

Offline Genealogist

Hi, new to the forum but had the problem near on 50 years but on Oct 30th I go into hospital for a bilateral mastectomy.

Like most of us if not all I’ve found it difficult and embarrassing to remove my shirt in public. Besides the masses staring at you I’ve had various comments about them and even had other males grope me.

Most of the time I’ve put up with it but in the last couple of years they have become uncomfortable and painful so decided it was time to do something about it.

I went to see my GP back in March this year and he referred me to my local hospital, they saw me in late May and I’ve just been told that they want me in on the 30th and will operate on the 31st.

So now I’m getting myself all psyched to go but I’m a little apprehensive. The thing that is in the back of my mind is MRSA.

Early last year I was admitted into hospital and the following morning I had to use a bottle and a nurse knocked it over. She got a large absorbent pad and put it over the spill under my bed but 5 days later when I was discharged it was still there.

Has anybody had these fears or any problems along these lines?

Offline webster

• Silver Member
yeah, and yuck.
As you say there are risks.... but if you're basically an  otherwise fit & healthy adult I would think your chances of catching MRSA are v. small. If you were ill and old or young then you are much more likely to succumb.

I think most people find the op. isn't such a big deal IN RETROSPECT!

Good luck -

Offline Yorkshireman

• Silver Member
Whilst MRSA may be a concern, I wouldnt dwell on it, life is full of germs of all types, yet we deal with it! People have ops every day, a tiny percentage will get affected by MRSA, but the thought never crossed my mind when I had my op....

Offline chestrockwell

• Silver Member
Hi, new to the forum but had the problem near on 50 years but on Oct 30th I go into hospital for a bilateral mastectomy.

Like most of us if not all I’ve found it difficult and embarrassing to remove my shirt in public. Besides the masses staring at you I’ve had various comments about them and even had other males grope me.

Most of the time I’ve put up with it but in the last couple of years they have become uncomfortable and painful so decided it was time to do something about it.

I went to see my GP back in March this year and he referred me to my local hospital, they saw me in late May and I’ve just been told that they want me in on the 30th and will operate on the 31st.

So now I’m getting myself all psyched to go but I’m a little apprehensive. The thing that is in the back of my mind is MRSA.

Early last year I was admitted into hospital and the following morning I had to use a bottle and a nurse knocked it over. She got a large absorbent pad and put it over the spill under my bed but 5 days later when I was discharged it was still there.

Has anybody had these fears or any problems along these lines?

Is your surgery going to be done on the NHS or are you going private?

Offline Genealogist

Hi, IT's being done on the NHS.

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024