Author Topic: Surgery Fears!!!!  (Read 4518 times)

Offline markashleigh1979

• I've had my final operation :)
As i plan to have my surgery soon ; i am starting to panick and feel anxious . I am worried abouth the anesthetics . The thought of being put to sleep scares the sh*te out of me :( .
Did any one else feel like this before surgery?
I am two months away, so i can only imagine it getting worse. Does anyone have any tips to combat it~?

Thanks you in advance for the advice.  ;D

Offline London_boy

• Bronze Member
  • Op performed by Mr Levick 17/08/05
    • My Photos :
The thought of the anaesthetic probably caused me more concern than anything else in the run up to my op, I think it's only natural, it's the loss of control and the thought of "what if...."  but if my experience was anything to go by, you'll be absolutely fine and look back at it and think, why did I ever worry !

Where are you having the op ??

Offline chestrockwell

• Silver Member
i know exactly what you mean m8, that was my biggest fear!, i was scared i wasnt going to wake up and i would never see my girl friend and my son again, well they wouldnt see me.

Anyhoo not got to worry about anesthetic now :), from what i have heard tho m8 its like you dont even know you've had anesthetic because you wake up what seems like a split second later and your all sorted!.

youl be fine m8 ;)

chris.

Offline Yorkshireman

• Silver Member
Chill out mate, loads of people have anaesthetic, VERY few have any probs, it really aint worth worrying about!

Offline Pferdestärken

• Silver Member
  • Fixed 03/06/05 by the incredible Mr Paul Levick!
    • My Diary
Do you have trouble going to sleep at night? How do you know you are going to wake up? What's the difference?
Pics | Op 3/6/05 Mr Paul Levick

Offline markashleigh1979

Posted by: Pferdestärken Posted on: Today at 2:23pm
Do you have trouble going to sleep at night? How do you know you are going to wake up? What's the difference?  

The difference is i don't have a big shiny thing stuck in my vein and a masked man towering above me........thats the difference ;)

Posted by: London_boy Posted on: Today at 4:58am
The thought of the anaesthetic probably caused me more concern than anything else in the run up to my op, I think it's only natural, it's the loss of control and the thought of "what if...."  but if my experience was anything to go by, you'll be absolutely fine and look back at it and think, why did I ever worry !

Where are you having the op ??  

I am in contact with a few clinics in eastern europe...both offering me the same date :) ...Most likely hungary.

Thanks for all the advice......Do u think i can have local for gland removal?

Chestrockwell : I hope it feels like a few seconds ;)

Offline IT100

• Gold Member
  • Gyne Removed by Levick 17/03/04
I actually thought the whole being 'put under' process was one of the most awesome experiences of my life!

It was mind blowing I thought!

Ian
« Last Edit: October 30, 2005, 09:54:46 PM by IT100 »

Offline markashleigh1979

IT100: You found it to be mind blowing? lol.....i hope i do too. I think i am scared as i still remember how i felt after my tonsilectomy ...all dizzy and sick :( . Also the feeling of someone putting me to sleep is very scary.

Can i have a local? Do u think it would be possible for them to bash me over the head first before giving me the General ;) ?

Offline irish_dude

• Silver Member
  • Op performed with Mr.Levick, 19/8/2005
The thought of being put to sleep scares the sh*te out of me :( .
Scared the bejeysus out of me too, but it really was a snap.

It was really all like IT100 told me it would be. It's not like going to sleep...you don't dream or have any bizarre subconscious awareness of the passing of time.

I was so nervous when they were putting the needle in my hand to put me to sleep that I think I started whistling the tune  'The Entertainer' to myself...then whoosh!...next thing I know I'm in the anesetic recovery ward looking at a nurse reading a copy of 'Hello!' at an opposite table and asking her if everything was finished.

It's a breeze mate, and the easiest part of the whole procedure. No worries. Hundreds of us on here have gone through it.

Offline irish_dude

• Silver Member
  • Op performed with Mr.Levick, 19/8/2005
It was mind blowing I thought!
Ian mate, do you get out much do you ? *grins* Was that an LSD-based-anaesthetic that they used on you?!

You're conscious - you're not conscious - you're conscious again.

Offline chestrockwell

• Silver Member
You're conscious - you're not conscious - you're conscious again

lol sounds like a typical friday night out on the beer to me....mind blowing! :D

Offline RRB

• Gold Member
  • I am here to help
It is scary as they are putting the needle in your hand.  I was physically shaking, you try and fight the sleep but within what seems like seconds you have a nurse asking how you are feeling.  Your in the recovery room and its all done.  

There is no way to combat the fear IMO, you just have to accept that your scared and get on with it.  I dont think its any more risky getting put to sleep now as it is walking across a busy road.
Surgery performed by Mr Paul Levick, 17/02/05. I am here to help.

Offline bohemian2

• Posting Member
  • gyne removed by Levick 2/11/05
Yeah I was scared too lying there having the needle put in but the nurse was so good, well they all were, she said it was the idea of giving yourself over to other people, to trusting them completely.  I guess I was worried about it taking ages to go from consciousness to unconsciousness but it doesn't.

They were making jokes about what's your favourite drink. And then told me I was about to get half a bottle of vodka.  But it really didn't feel like that at all cos you are lying down and don't really feel drunk, or I didn't.

There was about one or two seconds when I thought 'heereee we goooo' and then I was awake.  The masked man is very nice btw, actually not sure if he wears a mask at that stage.  I think they save all that for when you are unconscious.

You'll be fine. Its much more scary saving up the money and then having to give it all to them!  

Offline markashleigh1979

Hi , thanks for all the advie and comments .I feel a bit better about my operation though i am still sh*tting bricks :) .
Just wish it was over........:)
the injection don't scare me nor does the op...it's them two drowsy seconds :( .

Offline bohemian2

• Posting Member
  • gyne removed by Levick 2/11/05
But there's 3 great people helping you through it.  Because of the way they behave, that helped me too.  The nurse even held my hand, didn't want to admit that in the beginning, but it did help.

I can only speak for myself but I was worried about it too, but I realise afterwards that it is no big thing..and maybe it isn't even 2 seconds, maybe just 1.  I'm sure you can cope with that.  Get it done soon, put it on a credit card, whatever, I'm so glad I've done it!

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024