Author Topic: Post-op bruising  (Read 2258 times)

Offline Robin_G

• Bronze Member
Hi all

I'm now in my third day post op

Whilst not in any major pain, I notice that new, fresh bruisng is still continuing to appear well below where my bandages end

I have always had a tendency to bruise easily, but just wondered if it was normal part of the process for new bruisng to be still appearing, particularly a good bit away from the incisions etc

I'm also very bored at the moment as I'm useless at sleeping on my back so I'm finding things to do  ;D

Offline RRB

• Gold Member
  • I am here to help
Some people bruise some dont.  I was lucky and had virtually no brusing whatso ever, but i have seen pictures of other guys with massive brusing right down their sides and stomach, no where near their chest.  I wouldnt worry too much at the moment, but if you feel cause for concern get right on the phone to your surgeon for reassurance.

For sleeping on your back try propping up some pillows for your back and put some cushions at your sides so you cant roll over.  Thats what was stopping me sleeping on my back, the fear of rolling on my side.  Once i knew i couldnt roll over i slept fine.
Surgery performed by Mr Paul Levick, 17/02/05. I am here to help.

Offline phantom

• Gold Member
Hello Robin

We both had similar amounts of tissue removed.  By day three the bruising has spread heavily to the bottom area of the each pec.  A large purple line spread from near the center of the sternum (ribcage) around and up to the armpit.  So yes, theses became much more apparent a couple of days after surgery, but are now fading and swelling the same area is now going down.

It's my guess that gravity is pulling extra fluid into this area and any tiny amount of leaked blood is being forced into the same area, which is what is giving it its distinct colour.

I am still quite swollen under the armpits, especially the left one where more tissue was removed from this side.  It all sounds like a normal part of the healing process.  It if does not get better or gets worse over the next couple of days, give Mr L a call.

Hope that helps.

PS, my chest is getting flatter and better looking each day ;D
« Last Edit: January 29, 2006, 12:41:25 AM by phantom »

Offline Robin_G

• Bronze Member
Hi phantom

Yeah, thats pretty much what I figured. I think I'm just still at the stage where I've got too much time on my hands to ponder such things   ::)

I'm actually starting to get a non-painful, pulsing/throbbing feeling in my chest now....reckon this is due to me cutting back on the painkillers and a bit of feeling returning

Its ace to hear that your chest is continually looking flatter day by day

I take it you're wearing your compression vest now? How does it feel? Is it noticeable under clothes then?

Are you going back to work yet btw?

Offline phantom

• Gold Member
Yes I am wearing the tasty compression vest.  Thing it, it pulls you in all over, so makes you look even better in normal clothing!  No one would notice it unless you point it out.  It was a bit uncomfortable on the shoulders, where the Velcro straps meet (sticks into your skin) but I am now wearing a sleeveless, thin, nylon running vest underneath so the garment does not come into contact with my skin - and it serves to give slightly more compression.

I was back at work by day 4 without any problems, but it would have been nice to have a full week off it I could afford the time.

I went window shopping today and was sorely tempted to start buying all the kinds of tops I had denied myself all these years, but there is no summer stock in yet :(  Just as well really because the cost of surgery has wiped me out and I'm still feeling the pinch of Christmas.  I even wanted to go clubbing last night, but resisted.  Once I get through February (thank god it's the shortest month) there will be no stopping me ;)

Offline Robin_G

• Bronze Member
lol.....sounds funky   ;D

Did you buy one of those eurosurgical ones?

I know what you mean re the shopping for clothes. Over the years you develop a checklist for what will and won't conceal the gyne in terms of style and material etc don't you?

I think I actually got quite good at it to be honest, but it will be so cool to just buy anything that takes your fancy regardless of the fit etc

Think I'd best wait until I've seen the outcome however......oh yeah and as you say got some more money   :)

« Last Edit: January 29, 2006, 08:40:49 AM by Robin_G »

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024