Author Topic: Have you had the op twice?  (Read 3207 times)

Offline markashleigh1979

• I've had my final operation :)
Hey guys, was just wondering how many of us have had gyne surgery twice or more. I am going in for a revision in a couple of months for a gland excission . Hopefully this will cure it as i only had lipo first.Was just wondering how many overs have had to do this ....

Cheers

Offline yellow_is_dead

your going back to poland for a revision? I was tempted to go abroad myself, my only worry is theres a problem and I need to go back.

Offline markashleigh1979

Yep, there is no major problem. I only had lipo the first time , which has reduced the chest a lot but i am still pointy just to the excess gland. I will have the gland removed when i am 4 month post op ; 8 weeks from now, just in time for the summer :) .

8)

Offline uk2000

• Why Meeee!!
ive had it 3 times, and am yet to have another op

1st op: gland and lipo
2nd op: lipo only
3rd op: gland and lipo

gna need another op to sort out my LHS.  RHS is fine, but other side is still bigger and has alo of scar tissue.
July 04 - Gland removal + liposuction- Adriaan Grobbelaar. Results: Terrible
Feb 05 - Lipo Revision- Alex Karidis.
Nov 05 - Gland + Lipo- Alex Karidis.
Jun 06 - LHS gland + Lipo - Alex Karidis.

Offline markashleigh1979

Wow, going on to your 4th.The frustration of waiting just for the second has me nearly in tears.You must be a very stable person :) . I hope that the 4 th op gives you everything you want, i suppose it is better late than never :) .
Couldn't you just have all the gland removed?Or does the gland need to be removed in sections/sessions?
Good luck mate

Offline phantom

• Gold Member
markashleigh1979

I suppose each surgeon has their own idea of what to remove or 'sculpt' to create an acceptable chest.  From everything I have read, it's usually the intention to get as 'perfect' result as possible with just on operation (though I cannot speak for uk2000 - four operations is the most I have ever heard of).

My surgeon, Mr Levick seems to be amongst the more thorough surgeons.  He seems to aim to remove as much gland he can get his hands on and a relative amount of fat in proportion to the rest of the surrounding area and all in one operation.  He does this with the intention of getting a good result first time, but suggests that around one in ten of his patients return for revision.

I am reasonably happy so far (25 days post-op).  But when I go back for an evaluation at the end of month three, my question will be "If I was presenting for the first time, what, if any improvement could be made with surgery?"  And we'll take it from there.

Offline uk2000

• Why Meeee!!
problem with me guys is ive never had enough removed. both surgeons i had karidis and grobellar have never removed enough in the first place.
reason im in this mess is cos my first surgeon grobeelar made  a complete mess of my chest and karidis has been tidying it up, so hes been correcting grobellars work.  im nearly there now, but will need 1 final touch  up.
mark gland can be removed in 1 go, but this all depends on the surgeons skill and whether hes in wot i call surgery mode on the day of your op.   even good surgeons dont awlays ive good results.
its made me angry and depressed, i feel i cant get on with my life,  but ive come this far and so am gna see it through to the end. not worth quitting now, tho i cud easily do,

Offline markashleigh1979

When i go in for my revision surgery i am going to request  that they remove all of the gland....I think the sdame as you uk2000 and all i want to do is get back on with my life.......it would feel so good to be able to wear a nice t-shirt without patters on the front....though mine has been reduced through the lipo i am still pointy and a little fatty due to the size of gland....Roll on the revision :)
« Last Edit: March 18, 2006, 01:22:26 PM by markashleigh1979 »

Offline Bojangles

Well, I'm glad I came to this board. I had my 1st op about 4 months ago, and although initially pleased with the results (anything that reduced my chest, however slight made my world at that point!) as I'd only had lipo, I'm now considering going back to get a referral on the gland. Problem is, I had my op on the NHS, so I'm wondering if my GP will refer me for a second op or will they just think I'm taking the p*** and wasting NHS time??

In short, although happy with the first results, I'm still at the point where I feel I can't wear T-shirts for the two mounds poking out of my chest, and is therefore turning me once again into a recluse with regards to holidays in the summer, simple things like swimming etc.

Has anyone else had the op twice on NHS or have you guys all gone private?
(oh, and just in case my GP thinks I am wasting NHS time, I've got good case to put forward to him........I actually WORK for the NHS!!!)

Offline phantom

• Gold Member
That's a tough one to answer Bojangles.  I could put it simply and straight forward that as a customer of the NHS, they have a duty to ensure you are happy with the service they have given you.  If you are not happy, then they have an obligation to put it right.

But as you already suspect it's not as simple as that.  We are conditioned to believe that the NHS is 'free' but runs on a shoe-string budget.  And because of this, we feel as if we should be grateful with what we are given and to never complain.

Are you due to return to your surgeon to check your progress?  If that is so, then that is the time to give your views.  It seems that the more I read about guys that had lipo only and no glandular excision, they are unhappy with the result.  My surgeon makes a point of removing as much gland as possible each and every time.  This is a guy with a high caseload of male chest procedures and arguably knows what he is doing.

My question is this, why do some surgeons give lipo only when there is glandular tissue present, glandular tissue that is responsible for some or most of the gynaecomastia in the first place?

Male chest reduction/sculpture is an increasingly recognised condition and it's my educated guess that this kind of surgery is going to increase in demand over the coming years.  It's time plastic/breast/general surgeons got their heads together on this one to establish best practice!

Bojangles, if you do not have a follow-up appointment with your surgeon, telephone his or her secretary at the hospital and ask to speak with them in person by appointment.  At four months post-op you will still be a patient of theirs.  It's highly unlikely they will have discharged you yet, so you don't essentially have to go to your GP first.  Tell them that whilst there is a difference, you feel as if you are still in the same psychological position as you were pre-surgery.  Ask them why they decided not to excise the gland.  Ask them if gland excision is something they do on some patients and not others because it possible that they are not experienced or knowledgeable enough to know how to deal with it!

There are other guys on this forum that had lipo only onto to return for gland excision at a later date (off the top of my head, markashleigh is one of them - he had surgery in Poland).  Tell your surgeon that you know that surgical revision is common for those that had lipo only to in order to get the gland excised out.

Your GP and Surgeon have a duty of care to ensure your condition is treated with the best available resources.  If your specific case is beyond the work of your current surgeon, then he or she has an obligation to hand you over to another surgeon that can deal with your problem.

It may seem daunting speaking with these guys, but if you are armed with the right information, be direct (but polite!) about your dissatisfaction and ask them what can be done about it then you have every chance of reaching your final goal.  No right minded surgeon could ever expect to completely satisfy every patient every time.  How else would they be able to learn and improve for future patients?

Hope that helps.  Please keep us informed of your progress or if you get stuck.

Best wishes.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2006, 08:30:26 AM by phantom »

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024