Author Topic: How Sould I start?  (Read 4442 times)

Offline Email

• Posting Member
Hi,

I live in Glasgow, and I am waiting for NHS to send me a letter and tell me when I'll be able to see my surgeon.
But I'm tired of waiting and I want to get the surgery done this summer.
So I guess I should see some private doctors about it.
But how should I start? who should I see? what kind of doctor does this job? Do I have to see a consultant first or can I start with a surgeon?  
How long will it take to do the job if I want to do it privately?
and does any of you know a good surgeon in Glasgow?

-------------------------------------------------------------------

I started this topic in somewhere else, but since nobody answered I copied and pasted the contents in a new post in UK section.

Offline LEBOWSKI

• Posting Member
Mate, have a read through some of the threads on here etc first.  Have a good read and hopefully that will give you some of the answers that you are looking for. Do a search etc also.
 It would help if you give a bit of background info, such as age and long you have had the condition..
 I hope that helps...

Offline Email

• Posting Member
sorry, I'm not really patient...I really wan't it to be done this summer, only 32 days is left....
but I still don't know what should I do!

I mean is, I have seen my GP, I have seen my consultant and all of them are working for NHS
but I wan't to do it privately, and I don't want to repeat everything that I have done before,
so u got any ideas?

Do I have do get my files from my GP and then contact a sergeon?

Offline Email

• Posting Member
I'm 18
and I've been in this condition since I was 13,

Offline orrible

• Previously stonecold... 9.11.05 Surgery Levick
Find a surgeon who does gynecomastia, private hospitals in your area will advertise in the yellow pages or ask your gp to refer you to one. They might have a better insight into who is best for the op.

You then go on a consult and if you want to proceed, book surgery.

If you dont want to see your gp, you could just book to see a surgeon yourself.

« Last Edit: July 17, 2006, 02:03:08 PM by stonecold »

Offline worriedmum

• Posting Member
Hi ,
Im not to far from Glasgow,my son is seeing a surgeon soon at the royal hospital in Glasgow in August ,from seeing our g.p  then ped and surgeon all in has taken 4 months the quickest thing being the initial consultation with the surgeon.
May I ask why you have changed from n.h.s to private ,is there a long wait ?
   P

Offline Email

• Posting Member
well, I saw m consultant something about 8 months ago and he reffered me to a sergeon I guess, but I have not seen my surgeon yet. so it's been quite a while...

I havn't changed yet. do I have to tell NHS that I want to do it privately?

Offline Email

• Posting Member
Find a surgeon who does gynecomastia, private hospitals in your area will advertise in the yellow pages or ask your gp to refer you to one. They might have a better insight into who is best for the op.

You then go on a consult and if you want to proceed, book surgery.

If you dont want to see your gp, you could just book to see a surgeon yourself.

I found something in the yellow pages:

http://www.surgicare.co.uk/

http://www.surgicare.co.uk/body/male-breast-reduction.php

but the head office is in Manchester.

Offline worriedmum

• Posting Member
Hi ,
     I have to say if I were you and had'nt heard in all this time,i'd be on the phone to the consultants secretary...seems like theres been a mix up and mabe your letter has gotten lost .worth a try calling before you go down the private route there may well be a chance of an app quite soon.
good luck
        P

Offline Email

• Posting Member
well, actually I meant 8 months ago I visited my consultant for the first time.
I had another appointment last month and when I went there I think he sent them another letter.

Offline orrible

I havent heard of surgicare but it seems that they are a cosmetic surgery group. Usually it is advisable to use a private clinic such as Bupa or something or make sure the surgeon is either Baps or Bapps registered.

Offline Email

• Posting Member
Is Bupa a cosmetic surgery group? and what is a Baps or Bapps?

---------------------------

By the way...what kind of consultant am I exactly looking for?  ;D
I want to call surgicare and get a free consultation, but I'm not really sure who do I want to see?

Offline Ffurg

• Posting Member
Hi,

I live in Glasgow

And that was the point I stopped reading  ;D

Ffurg

Offline orrible

Email

Bupa usually operate in private hospitals such as Nuffields etc.

If you are calling surgicare, you need to say your interested in gynecomastia and ask to see the surgeon with the most experience in that op. Find out how many ops they do and ask if you can see before and afters and possibly speak to former patients. Also be wary if you get a consult with a nurse or counsillor, as these groups tend to do. You must meet with the surgeon doing the op. Meeting with the surgeon on the day of the op is not acceptable.

Let us know how you get on.

Offline Email

• Posting Member
hey Stonecold, thanx for all the information.
I didn't call surgicare, I found somewhere else in the Yellow Pages:

http://www.inhance.co.uk/

I called them and tried to get an appointment, but the lady on the line said that I have to get a letter and be reffered by my GP....
so I guess I have to go to my GP again.....

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024