Author Topic: Mammograms  (Read 813 times)

Offline RAPC

• Posting Member
Okay... my doctor told me I have gynecomastia. At my last two checkups, when I have discussed it with him, he has suggested maybe I should get a mammogram. At first, I said no, but I asked him about it and he said something about lumps or masses. I don't have any lumps or masses. And quite frankly, I'm not even sure I have enough mam to gram.

I am curious as to other's experiences and suggestions.

Thanks!
« Last Edit: January 09, 2024, 10:59:26 PM by RAPC »

Offline WPW717

• Silver Member
Worth a look for the confirmation of the gyne and to establish a baseline.

My first one last spring not only confirmed what my docs never palpated or looked at but came back labeled as ‘ florid’ … new and fast growing. It felt good to see the words no evidence of malignant growth in the report.  It eventually led them to explore further and whoa … we found a  parathyroid gland tumor which led to finding a small brain tumor. Eminently treatable with chemotherapy. Imagine if it went undiagnosed and grew to cause the blindness that is what happens when left untreated.
Good plan that mammogram 
Regards, Bob

Offline Justagirl💃

• When life gives you curves, Flaunt them! 🤗
I have had one every year since 1989 when I survived breast cancer.
The mammogram is very important because not only does it looks for abnormalities, but changes as well. Your old tests will be compared to your new one.

It's fairly easy, and you don't need much tissue to take one. Many A cup women also get them all the time. 
When life gives you curves,
flaunt them! 💃
💋Birdie💋

Offline WPW717

• Silver Member
Also, micro calcification is easier to spot and map before a lot of growth occurs and becomes dense tissue. If the first one is done much later then the density can hide small cysts and ‘ lumps’ that should be biopsied or removed thereby creating a risk for future issues 

Offline JJ_Gyne

• Posting Member
I'm not even sure I have enough mam to gram.

Consider yourself lucky. Similarly, when my first mammogram was ordered I didn't have much to contend with.
It was routine and after completion I didn't know what all the fuss was about.

Just had my 3rd one done. I hurt for 2 days following. The more you have the more they squeeze (also how dense your breast tissue might be).
In any case I now understand why its a big deal.

Online Sophie

• Silver Member
Even in men, hormonal fluctuations can cause breasts to become engorged depending upon the time of the month. Estrogen goes in cycles which creates a menstrual cycle in women but also can swell breasts and make all of us moody.  

We will make every effort to schedule our ladies who come in for a mammogram at least 2 days before or after their period. 

Its also not uncommon for menopause to cause greater fluctuations. I had a similar experience when I went for a mammogram after I noticed that I went up 2 cup sizes in two months. I ended up expressing milk all over the mammography machine from each of my breasts.

I was assigned male at birth but I am a woman now. Those of you who have breasts and elevated Estrogen or are Estrogen dominant understand. You really are not all that different from your female counterparts. 

Take care of your girls and they will take care of you. 

Love you guys!!!

♥️Sophie♥️

Offline blad

and whoa … we found a  parathyroid gland tumor which led to finding a small brain tumor. 
Out of interest, was the Parathyroid tumor malignant as well? What lead the investigation to scan for further tumors with the resulting Dx of the brain tumor? If I may ask.
If the bra fits, wear it.

Offline Justagirl💃

Even in men, hormonal fluctuations can cause breasts to become engorged depending upon the time of the month. Estrogen goes in cycles which creates a menstrual cycle in women but also can swell breasts and make all of us moody. 

We will make every effort to schedule our ladies who come in for a mammogram at least 2 days before or after their period.

Its also not uncommon for menopause to cause greater fluctuations. I had a similar experience when I went for a mammogram after I noticed that I went up 2 cup sizes in two months. I ended up expressing milk all over the mammography machine from each of my breasts.

I was assigned male at birth but I am a woman now. Those of you who have breasts and elevated Estrogen or are Estrogen dominant understand. You really are not all that different from your female counterparts.

Take care of your girls and they will take care of you.

Love you guys!!!

♥️Sophie♥️
OMG yes! I cycle every 28 days approximately. 
I don't know of it's because I'm intersex or not, but I also suffer from the abdominal cramps. 
Perimenopause hot flashes have almost subsided finally, so that's good.
Thank God I haven't expressed milk, but I sometimes get a white build up around the nipples, not lately but it sometimes happens. 

Offline taxmapper

OMG yes! I cycle every 28 days approximately.
I don't know of it's because I'm intersex or not, but I also suffer from the abdominal cramps.
Thank God I haven't expressed milk, but I sometimes get a white build up around the nipples, not lately but it sometimes happens.
The old colanders prior to the modern era were 13 months long and aligns perfectly with how women mensrate. 

I have had abdominal discomfort for the majority of my adult life that I attributed to drinking warm soda. 

(gas). 

Now not so sure. 

It has come and gone on an irregular schedule. 

If it turns out I have girl parts, I really do wish to see to what level. 

But I need a new primary and insurance is a joke around here along with the majority of doctors not wanting to play along. 

Online Sophie

• Silver Member

Dr. Ryan at the Breast Care Center was really good and sensitive and took the time to give me a differential diagnosis for the lactation. I was still pretending to be a man at this point. She explained that because of my estrogen dominance that gave me breasts in the first place, that my body was possibly entering a menopause of sorts. I understand that this isn't very common to begin lactation for all women, but it's not unheard of.

For a few months after, I thought that it would be a good idea to pump down my breasts to reduce their volume. BIG MISTAKE! I would have to pump 3-4 times a day, every day. Finally when I stopped pumping, the milk stopped coming. 

♥️Sophie♥️

Offline Justagirl💃

For a few months after, I thought that it would be a good idea to pump down my breasts to reduce their volume. BIG MISTAKE! I would have to pump 3-4 times a day, every day. Finally when I stopped pumping, the milk stopped coming.

♥️Sophie♥️
I'm afraid of doing anything that might make things worse when I sometimes get white dry buildup around the nipples.
I don't want to express milk!
I haven't had it checked because I don't like my current doctor, but it can only be coming from inside. 😳

I'll bring it up when I go in for a mammogram.

Online Sophie

• Silver Member

♥️Sophie♥️
I'm afraid of doing anything that might make things worse when I sometimes get white dry buildup around the nipples.
 I haven't had it checked because I don't like my current doctor, but it can only be coming from inside. 😳
Birdie,
As long as your mammograms and breast exams give you the all-clear, go with that. However early detection is the best detection. If you think something is going on, please have it checked. If you are wearing a bra with a black lining, that's a good early detection device too!

♥️Sophie♥️

Offline Justagirl💃

♥️Sophie♥️
Birdie,
As long as your mammograms and breast exams give you the all-clear, go with that. However early detection is the best detection. If you think something is going on, please have it checked. If you are wearing a bra with a black lining, that's a good early detection device too!

♥️Sophie♥️
I get a mammogram around Valentine's day every year. 💞

So next month I'll get things checked out. Funny how it accidentally worked out around Valentine's day every year. Not much of a Valentine's present. 🤔

Offline WPW717

• Silver Member
Blad 
The answer is I finally found a doc to refer me on to an endocrinologist.

She was sharp enough to know, that a slowly elevating calcium levels, though normal, is suspicious especially since my sister had a parathyroidectomy recently. Also, I had a Pheochromocytoma in the distant past.
During the investigation of a possible MEN Type 2 Dx genetic testing was conducted. It revealed a negative RET gene activation so she had to look further. A 24 hr. urine calcium test confirmed the parathyroid tumor. It was not malignant. Routine array of hormone tests post op revealed a newly elevated prolactin level that started to climb rapidly so an MRI of the cranial structure was done and confirmed the pituitary tumor. I started chemotherapy for it yesterday, with a good prognosis. Will know more in 6 months post chemotherapy. This process proves the value of a detailed history and the importance of genetic testing.

Offline Justagirl💃

I have had abdominal discomfort for the majority of my adult life that I attributed to drinking warm soda.

(gas).

Now not so sure.

It has come and gone on an irregular schedule.
I have had abdominal cramps since my teens, but they simply chalked it up to IBS. 

Strange enough it followed a schedule. 

Keeping track now it fits my cycling. 🤔

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024