Author Topic: Going to Europe for cheaper surgery  (Read 4715 times)

Offline ruggeddtoast

• Posting Member
Hi Guys

I havent seen  my GP for this problem yet as Ive not been to the doc yet since i moved here to london and from what Ive heard of the local surgery theyre more likely to scowl at me and try and foist antibiotics on me than anything else so Im not too helpful!

Basically I cant afford to pay thousands of pounds for surgery so it looks like the UK is out. Ive had a look on the internet and been quoted the following prices:

http://www.elyzea.co.uk/gb/price_gb.htm

They said 1100 to 1700 GBP. Consult in London, surgery in Brussels, one night stay.

http://www.wellnesskliniek.com/

These guys said 2500 GBP in and out same day. They have the most reassuring website though the price is too high for me really. Consult in Brussels, surgery next day.

http://www.kliniekbeaucare.com/belgium/prices.html#male_chest_reduction

In Brussels again, GBP 1550. I emailed them on the 15th and got an out of office reply til the start of august. Not too encouraging but cheap.

I also emailed one place that finds cheap plastic surgery around the world and was put in contact with one surgeon in south africa whod do it for 1700GBP. Im not too happy about the distance and the place though really though im sure the surgeon is fine.

They also put me in contact with another surgeon in Barcelona who does it for 2500GBP 2 nights in hospitall all in except flights. I like the fact they keep you in hospital and dont chuck you out the same day but again, I cant really afford that much.

What do you think? Anyone had surgery in Europe, am I risking my life, can anyone recommend a uk based clinic that can compete with these prices. For what its worth Im thinking one of the brussells ones, its easy to get to from london and would probably be decent.

Offline Time_to_fix_it

• Gold Member
I sympathise with your plight and I dare say you have considered this, but I’ll say it anyway.  How about the NHS?  I know at one time I would have considered this a bit of a “no hoper” for 2 reasons.  Firstly they don’t have the experience and secondly the NHS wouldn’t pay for it unless you could prove severe psychological harm was being done to you as a result of your gyne.  However things seem to be changing; there are a few people on here who have had NHS surgery and they are well pleased with it.  There may also be some who aren’t.  In fact there is one very well informed member who really does his homework who is going soon for NHS surgery.

What we need is people who have opted for NHS surgery to tell us.  Let the boards know who they used and why and how it turned out.  I firmly believe there are competent surgeons working in the NHS who can do this well .. we just have to find out who they are and then ask our GPs for referrals to them.

Good luck.
Surgery performed by Mr Levick at The Priory Hospital Bimingham (UK) 20th October 2006

Offline RRB

• Gold Member
  • I am here to help
What I noticed on 2 of the 3 websites you posted is that they advertise Male chest reduction.  I would confirm this is Gyne reduction as opposed to just sucking out fat.  It could be possible the prices quoted are just for lipo and not gland removal, its hard to say from the website.

There are many competent surgeons abroad in Europe and I have heard stories of people getting surgery there (not gyne) and being happy.  
Surgery performed by Mr Paul Levick, 17/02/05. I am here to help.

Offline ruggeddtoast

• Posting Member
Good points there. Im going to try the nhs first, I just dont have a lot of hope theyll pay for me thats all.

I shall definitely check with them what the procedure invilves. Ive emailed some of the surgeons and they seemed to be talking about gyne ops, ie removing tissue and then doing lipo.

Good point though!

Offline cruelnature

• Posting Member
I'm in Germany and should be having some consultations - will advise you of the prices etc when I have more information....

Offline ruggeddtoast

• Posting Member
Thanks Id appreciate that.

Offline Jacob-Rb

• Posting Member
Hi Guys, i looked into this before and was advised to do some research on the surgeons who would be performing the op. I
initially planned to go to Brussels to the wellnesskliniek but after doing some research on the surgeon i decided not to (he was being investigated at the time for a botched op). I found a website (not sure of the address) that you can look into a surgeons background and thats where i got the info on him. I ended up going to levick, great guy, but although im not 100% happy with the result im glad i went to him and fully recommend him (if you can afford it of course). So, my advice to you ruggeddtoast is to do the research if you intend to go abroad, but like the guys say you should look into the nhs.

jake

Offline Yorkshireman

• Silver Member
Jake.....which aspect of your Levick surgery are you unhappy with?

Offline Jacob-Rb

• Posting Member
Hey Yorkshireman, im not entirely UNhappy with the results, my gyne is essentially gone and im glad it is, its just that my RHS is noticeably bigger than the left. it looks like some remaining fat, although in a previous post someone told me that this was scar tissue but im not convinced it is.

I had the surgery last Dec and was told that i would be seeing improvements up to a year later, but it hasnt changed since i had to rip those bandages off. I even lost a bit of weight thinking that that could help but it didnt, it is still noticeable.

Im convinced its remaining fat as it looks and feels that way (scar tissue is more tough and lumpy) and lately ive noticed that it looks different in hot and cold temperatures. I was fully aware of scaring and swelling etc but i didnt have any (just some bruises) and the LHS is perfect. I will arrange to see Levick soon as its bothering me now. I never expected a miracle, but for the money, i did expect that i would be taking my t-shirt off over the summer but im afraid i havent...

i see from some of your posts that you werent satisfied either? how long since the op and how does it look and feel now?

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024