Author Topic: What's the point?  (Read 2361 times)

Offline whatisthepoint

I've had "puffy nipples"  for 7 years now and I cannot even begin to explain how much its bothered me. So I've been looking into this for a long time now. If I'm going to spend $7,000 on surgery, I would like the peace of mind knowing the issue is gone.

However, when I browse the forums and other websites I've run across dozens of people talking about how it "comes back" which is either attributed to scar tissue or the surgeon messing up. So what's the point of spending that much money when I have no guarantee the issue will be fixed?

I don't want to have to go through countless revisions, I hate surgery enough as it is. I know its impossible to guarantee that everything will work out but why are there so many stories of people who get surgery who aren't satisfied?

hammer

So, take the money, do or buy something that you can have or enjoy for a lifetime, as one day you will grow old and you won't give a damn about what others think about you anyway! In time you can learn to live with anything, and if you can't, then you will need to go through the surgery as that is the only fix for those who can't accept!

Good luck
Bob

Offline Dr. Elliot Jacobs

• Elliot W. Jacobs, MD, FACS
  • Senior Moderator
    • Gynecomastia Surgery
The real point is that a lot of guys have successful surgery and then go on with their lives -- they rarely will  post about their successful surgery on this forum.  When you read about guys who have had problems, remember it is usually only the guys who have had problems who do post complaints.

While no surgeon can guarantee results, one thing is for sure:  if you go to an expert who has done thousands of these procedures the results will usually be better and more predictable than someone who has done far fewer.  That is why doing your homework and researching, etc, is so important.  Best to consult with a gyne expert in your area or consider traveling for such expertise.

As for scar tissue, it is unpredictable but usually can be treated with one or more cortisone injections.

Or, you may forget the whole thing and, as Hammer suggests, buy something else.

Good luck!

Dr Jacobs

G
Dr. Jacobs 
Certified: American Board of Plastic Surgery
Fellow: American College of Surgeons
Practice sub-specialty in Gynecomastia Surgery
4800 North Federal Highway
Boca Raton, Florida 33431
561  367 9101
Email:  dr.j@elliotjacobsmd.com

Offline fairviewL

• Posting Member
The only guarantee in life is that of dying.
I've had several ortho surgeries. Had I not followed the surgeons post surgery care instructions and pt I am quite certain I would be walking around like Festus on gunsmoke and have a right arm and hand with no torque strength.

A lot of people know better. They know what to do better than their Dr. There are people so intelligent they come to a forum to ask us how soon they can exercise after surgery. If you just paid several thousand to have surgery, uh I think the right person to ask is your surgeon and not a bunch of strangers on the Internet. The results of a successful surgery can be destroyed by any idiot. Surgery, any surgery not even the most minor can be considered to come with optional directions. When I had my bicep reattached on its lower insertion point, my ortho was very explicit. Don't even use that are too pick up an empty coffee cup until I tell you can. Some people would consider that rude and unprofessional. I appreciated his clarity of his speech and today I have an arm I can use.

At 57 I could find better use for 7k than having my self laid out on a table to be sliced and diced. My son at 21 felt differently,  went under the knife, followed the post surgical instructions to a t and now more than 2 years later I think only his surgeon would  be able to see the scars. And yes he had glandular tissue removed.

Good luck, do your research during the selection process and follow the directions.

Offline Alchemist

• Gold Member
I've had "puffy nipples"  for 7 years now and I cannot even begin to explain how much its bothered me. So I've been looking into this for a long time now. If I'm going to spend $7,000 on surgery, I would like the peace of mind knowing the issue is gone.

However, when I browse the forums and other websites I've run across dozens of people talking about how it "comes back" which is either attributed to scar tissue or the surgeon messing up. So what's the point of spending that much money when I have no guarantee the issue will be fixed?

I don't want to have to go through countless revisions, I hate surgery enough as it is. I know its impossible to guarantee that everything will work out but why are there so many stories of people who get surgery who aren't satisfied?

Hi Whatisthepoint,

I have never had a medical treatment with a "satisfaction guaranteed or your money back" deal attached.  Otherwise I would be half a million dollars or so better off now.  I have never heard of a cosmetic surgery with 100% satisfaction.   I've never heard of any surgery with 100% satisfaction..

How much more, 25%? 50%? 100%? would be willing to pay up front in order to have a guarantee up to for instance 3 redoes?  But these are only redoes. How can there be a satisfaction guarantee?  Many get surgery for "growth" nobody else can see, at least in pictures.  There is no standard of satisfaction.

Offline Paa_Paw

• Senior Moderator
How often do you go out of your way to post something online when you are happy with a service rendered?   Are you more likely to post something if you are not happy?
That is the way it is here.  
Most of the guys who have surgery simply lose interest in this site and get on with their lives.  We never hear from them again. There is a very small number of people who are not happy with their surgical results and they are highly vocal.
There are many reasons why a person would not be happy with the results.  Sometimes their expectations are not realistic.  Often, to save money, they used a surgeon who is not really qualified to be doing cosmetic surgery.  One guy years ago finally admitted that he was seeing a counselor for BDD who told him he never actually had Gynecomastia. (Then he started complaining about the counselor.)
I am the oldest regular here,  I have had the condition since early puberty.  I was 12 years old in 1949. Surgery then was not nearly as good as it is now.  Most people back then simply ignored it and a lot of people still do that today.  
If you are still interested in surgery,  go for it!  But do it right and use the services of a well qualified cosmetic surgeon who does a lot of these cases.  Their success rate is actually very good these days. 
Grandpa Dan

Offline theobserver

As already said the goal is to do your research. 
Another issue is to learn about the people making those comments.

Some of these users who state it came back or looked bad didn't go with the best doctors and went with someone cheaper or out of country. Some get lucky some don't. Others ended up with a surgeon who told them lipo alone would be ok.  Read around here enough and we know the gland has to be significantly removed if not altogether depending on technique. 

Some people looked good with just lipo for awhile then their breast gland developed more along with some new fat tissue as it wasn't dealt with. Some people did get gland remove but ended up healing badly with bad scar tissue or fluids that remained and ended up with a chest the same size as before but now its not fland but filler. Sometimes this isn't their fault but more often then not its because they poorly stuck to a strict recovery routine of compressing in early weeks. Puffy nipples being the imo bottom spectrum is always about that gland removal its rare to even mess up that gland must go just find the best doc to do it in a method you can live with for scaring. nipple cut or armpit. 

There is a good point to "fix" this. It means being able to move on with your life , experiencing the things in life you always wanted to but didn't because of your chest and if it means a few thousand so be it but by damn do your research and weigh the pros and cons as life could be worse. 

In the end it's up to you but again IMO Puffy Nipples are the easiest gynecomastia fix with the top surgeons doing it. 

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024