Author Topic: Member in the NW UK  (Read 2618 times)

Offline Geetee

Hi

I've just joined this forum and am pleased to see there is a UK-dedicated section.  I'm based in the Manchester area and would welcome any contact with others in the area or details of support groups or possible treatment.

I've lived with this condition for some 40 years - at last I've found somewhere I can talk about it to others in the same position.

G
« Last Edit: September 02, 2006, 03:42:31 AM by Geetee »

Offline phantom

• Gold Member
Hello Geetee

There are a few guys here from eh NW area.  I am in Bolton.  But I'd say it does not really matter which part of the country we are from - there are some really knoweldgeable guys on here from all over, so it's worth getting to know a few of us.

I had my surgery back in January this year with Mr Levick.  I did go to see a surgeon in Manchester, but decided he was not for me.

So any questions you have, feel free to post here.

Cheers.

Offline Geetee

Hi Phantom,

Thanks for your message.  There's a lot of talk of surgery on this site, but I'm not sure of where to start or of likely costs.  Perhaps you or others could advise me.

The implication seems to be that most members opt for private surgery.  Is this because it's very difficult to obtain anything on the NHS, or a wish to bypass one's own GP, or both?

G

Offline phantom

• Gold Member
The best thing you can do is to 'comb' through the UK section.   But here is an abridged version:

Men choose to either go NHS or private for a whole number of reasons.

With the NHS, you need a sympathetic doctor - probably more common than you think.  If the first one you get is dismissive, go see another.  Tell them how much this condition affects your life psychologically.  Discuss the need for hormonal testing with an endocrinologist just to make sure there is no other underlying cause.

If you are then referred to a surgeon, this is where the real mine-field is.  You should get your initial appointment within 3 months.  You will be referred to either a Breast Surgeon, a General surgeon or a plastic surgeon.  The latter is probably the best one as they are probably more concerned with aesthetics than the first two.  If you are not convinced the surgeon you meet is up to the job, then you can go back to your GP and organise another appointment with another surgeon.  Surgery will usually be around 12 months away, but there are some guys that get it much sooner, others a bit longer - it all depends on where you live and what the waiting lists are like.

With private, you get to choose specifically who you want to see and decide when YOU want to have the surgery.  Now is probably the best time of year to get it don IMO because it means your should be all done and dusted and settled by next summer.

In the UK, costs are from around £2,500 - £4,500.  Initial consultations cost anything from 'free' to £150.  Never let a consultation fee put you off seeing a surgeon.  I used Mr Levick.  The surgery itself cost £3,665, but I put aside £4,000 to cover absolutely everything from initial consultations with three different surgeons, all the meds and clothing and travel costs.

As you have probably seen, a number of guys have nipped over to Poland.  Again, mixed reports on the quality of the surgery.  My only issue would be needing to return if things did not quite go as you expected.  For me it was worth paying the extra knowing I had the peace of mind of nipping down the M6 at the drop of a hat if I needed to see Mr L again.

There have been some poor reports and some excellent reports for both NHS and private.  I am of the opinion that by going private, you reduce the risk of a poor result and getting the surgery done when it suits you is a real bonus.

Hope that helps.

Offline Geetee

Phantom.

This is really helpful - many thanks once again.  Knowing that I'm just one of many men in this position and not a lone figure has given me some of the confidence I need to approach my GP - at least as a first port of call.

G

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024