Author Topic: Compresoin vest...how long?  (Read 2662 times)

Offline londonbhoy

• Posting Member
Hello all,

I was wondering what people's experience was with compression vests..how long to wear, what style etc? You see, after my initial op, my PS told me I had to wear it for 6 weeks, day and night, which I did but to no benefit what-so-ever! Now, after my revision, he's telling me that it's not actually that important ie. if you didn't wear it, the fat wouldn't come back, it just helps the swelling to go away faster. Yet another example of why people shoudn't go to the HARLEY MEDICAL CENTRE!

As of tomorrow, I've been wearing it for a week and was thinking of binning the compression vest I was given by the hospital and chaning into a Nike Pro under armour top. I've been waering these for the past year and a half, in order to hide my chest anyway and they do a really good job.

Any thoughts/experience?

hadenuf

I was told by Dr Karadis to wear it 24hrs a day for 2 weeks then another 2 weeks in bed. It helps the swelling and I think the skin to go back. I must admit I felt more secure and less likely to jolt myself with it on. My 2 weeks are up on saturday but I think it is coming off tomorrow as I feel ok to do this and I am going out somewhere friday night so I would prefer to to wear it. I will continue to wear it in bed for another couple of weeks as advised though.

Offline PaulSW

• Silver Member
Wore mine for 12 weeks first 6 all the time (except showers)

Then only at night

Used it like this after asking the same question. I thought it helped but it did not stop scaring or fat return.
Surgery DEC 07 Dr Benito
Revision March 09 Dr Benito
Injection for scar tissue March 2011 Dr Levick

Pictures - http://www.gynecomastia.org/smf/index.php?topic=12440.0

hadenuf

Used it like this after asking the same question. I thought it helped but it did not stop scaring or fat return.

I thought that in general the fat could not return. Or if it did it was due to general weight gain and fat storing in the fat cells left behind. Assuming most of the fat cells were removed no more fat could return as there are no cells in which to do so and we cant re grow fat cells. So keeping up a weight control and exercises regime should keep you looking in decent shape?

Offline PaulSW

• Silver Member
Defiantly have some soft tissue returned on the right side which the PS tells me is fat.

I am exactly the same weight as when I had the surgery so maybe the cells that are still there do just fill up.

My right side was extremely flat for the first 6 months but then filled out

Can't comment on the other side as there is scaring which needs removing.

hadenuf

That is a shame. I assumed that if you kept your body fat levels down and did plenty of aerobic excercise it would not return. One can only hope I suppose.

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024