Author Topic: Post surgery questions...  (Read 2378 times)

Offline the weemans mom

• Posting Member
My 12 year old son is now scheduled for surgery on July 28th for both gyeno and lipo.  I have read some of the threads regarding recovery, and am wondering about drain tubes, at it seems not everyone has them inserted post surgery.  What determines whether tubes will be inserted?  I am getting somewhat nervous about this surgery for him, however, I am very confident the surgery will go well and am comfortable with the surgeon.  Thanks for your replies.

Offline Blitz

• Gold Member
  • Thank you Fielding
I'm having surgery on Wednesday and one of the things I discussed with my doctor was drain tubes.  He said, he'll only put them in if he sees a buildup of fuild (blood?) otherwise, chances are very slim that I would need them.  He put my mind at ease when it comes to this whole procedure but I'm pretty sure if my son was having it, I would be more nervous for him then he was for himself.  

From what I can tell aslo, this procedure has now become common practice and if you found the right doctor with good credentials, your son should be fine.

Your son is rather young.  Does he have a severe case of gyne?  Post some pics (if it's possible) because I know there are parents on these boards who are in the same predicament your sons in.  Pictures do help when making up one's mind.  

Offline heartbrokenmom

• Posting Member
Good Luck to you.  If I had known earlier about my son's condition, I would have gotten the surgery earlier for him.  All the missed social life in High School.  (proms, etc....) You are doing the right thing supporting your son.

Hang in there.  Who is your Doctor?
« Last Edit: July 11, 2005, 11:59:18 AM by heartbrokenmom »

Offline bornagain

• Posting Member
i have had my tubes in for 48 hours (i get them taken out today). my ps injected a TON of liquid into my body post-operation (over 5 liters) to minimize the pain.  drains are one way of helping to get that liquid out.  my understanding from my nurse is that liquid will come out on its own for weeks, if not months, and drains are just a way to maximize drainage during the first few days.  i find that eating minimal carbs, which has a tendency to release water from one's body, is another way to get the liquid out.  i don't think one should be scared of drains.  good luck with yr son.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2005, 01:31:56 AM by bornagain »

Offline the weemans mom

• Posting Member
I am not able to post photos and my son would not appreciate it if I did.

My son's PS is Frederick Ehret in Tacoma, WA.

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024