Author Topic: More encouragement for those considering surgery  (Read 2562 times)

Offline lch6257

I am two weeks post op today. I have never posted before and did a lot of reading here prior to moving forward with having my double mastectomy and I want to say I am grateful for the info here on everything. I felt the need to add my thoughts so here goes. I had issues with Moobs since the age of 11. I never grew out of it. It always bothered me, but I have always been considered by many members of the opposite sex to be a very handsome and attractive male (When I am in physical shape I get hit on a lot) so, I just learned to live with it for the past 33.5 years. I tried many, many times in my past to get rid of the moobs, I worked out fiercely, lost any extra weight I could, but nothing, I mean nothing fixed the problem.

I got depressed a few years ago and I put on 70 lbs. This did not help matters at all. Two years ago, I had enough, so I changed my diet, started exercising like mad and found out that I truly love eating right and working out. I lost over 105 lbs. Guess what, still had moobs. This was not going to do this time. This time, I was determined to not give up and to beat it no matter what it would take or cost.

I interviewed several cosmetic surgeons in my area and the second one I met with I knew was the guy to go with. He told me he would and could get me flat. He told me it would really come down to how willing I was to let him scar me and I told him I would be willing to trade off some scars for being flat and contoured on my hairy chest. I contemplated moving forward for a month or two. I had the funds put away ($4,075 - total for everything). I have as an adult always ridden and enjoyed motorcycles and one day about 6 weeks ago, I cam across an amazing deal on a Harley Road King. I had the money to buy it straight up......I called the guy, arranged a meeting...and then it hit me, that this money was earmarked towards my surgery. It was in that minute that I committed to do it. So, the next day, I called Dr. Lee Corbett's office here in Louisville, KY and scheduled my procedure.

I was nervous at my pre-op, but they made me feel at ease. I paid for things and knew I was in for real. 2 weeks later, it was time. The office gave me some valium to take the edge of the night before and this was hugely helpful. The procedure was a piece of cake,the hardest part was getting the IV going as I was nervous and my veins were contracted.....I just remember the Dr looking me in the eye and talking to me again about scarring and I told him to make make me flat and masculine. He smiled confidently and I tell you he did not let me down, not even a little bit....I can not describe to you all the feeling I get when I see myself in the mirror now........in the shower, everywhere.....DO NOT HESTITATE.....If this thing bothers you like it did me, get it done....The painkillers were awesome and the pain was nothing compared to the reward, two weeks post op and I am doing cross trainer and working out again. My wife loves the look and again, when I see my new chest in the mirror and put on one of my muscle shirts, I melt with happiness........DO NOT THINK TWICE ABOUT GETTING IT DONE. Find the right folks and DO IT NOW. Life is too short....

Offline Dr. Elliot Jacobs

• Elliot W. Jacobs, MD, FACS
  • Senior Moderator
    • Gynecomastia Surgery
Inspiring story -- thanks for sharing.  It mimics much of what I observe in my own patients.

Dr Jacobs
Dr. Jacobs 
Certified: American Board of Plastic Surgery
Fellow: American College of Surgeons
Practice sub-specialty in Gynecomastia Surgery
4800 North Federal Highway
Boca Raton, Florida 33431
561  367 9101
Email:  dr.j@elliotjacobsmd.com

Offline George Pope, M.D.

• Supporting Doctors
    • Orlando Plastic Surgery Center
That's really a great story.  I appreciate your sharing it with everyone here.  Is there any way you could post some before and after photos?  Many men need the procedure that involves removing a lot of skin and grafting the nipples back on.  Is that the procedure you had? If so, it would help guys to see what the scars from that procedure look like, especially since you're so happy with your result.

Congratulations!  I know it feels good to be on the other side.

Dr. Pope, MD
George H Pope, MD, FACS
Certified - American Board of Plastic Surgery
Orlando Plastic Surgery Center
www.georgepopemd.com
Phone: 407-857-6261

Offline lch6257

I will be glad to post some pics. I am at 4 weeks tommorow and healing well. I do not have a b4 picture to post right now, my Dr. does as it is not something even could stand a photo of, I will see about geting an electronic copy of the pictures and the after pics will likely be taken at my next appt on Jan 14, 2013.

The process I had did involve a great deal of skin removal, Dr. Corbett went in attempting to move the nipples if the blood supply would allow it. During surgery, he found that my left side would and did work out great, but he had to nipple graft the right side due to lower than adequate blood supply. The end result will be a slight color difference once I am 100% healed. I have used my wife as the guide for this look and she has no issues or concerns with how it will all look healed and that residual scarring will fade and be covered in my hairy chest. For Christmas, I got several Affliction size large muscle shirts. To put this in perspective, 2 Chrismtases ago, I wore a t-shirt size XXXL......
To say getting a muscle shirt and seeing my real muscle that I had developed protruding under the shirt in the mirror was the greatest Christmas gift I ever received is a complete understatement. I was overwhelmed with emotion.......Let's leave it at that.... ;D

Offline jazzer

• Posting Member
Great posts! I was elated at my age (58) to finally get rid of the large breasts. Scarring from double mastectomy was the least of my concerns. It is still quite noticeable after 8 months, but it is slowly fading. And I feel fantastic. It is so worthwhile to undertake the operation. 

Offline lch6257

Jazzer, I totally agree with you. The surgery is totally worth it. No regrets here.

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024