Author Topic: Surgery When Breast Glands Are at Smallest to Avoid Big Scar?  (Read 2019 times)

Offline Aero360

Is it a good idea to have surgery when glands are at it's smallest?

Steroid is probably the cause of my enlarged glands. Is it a good idea to stop steroid and let my gland return to normal size before cutting them out, so the scaring can be smaller? Or should I just remove them when I'm on steroid?

I think it's a better idea to get it done when I'm not on steroid, since cutting out smaller glands means smaller scar.

Tell me what you think?

Offline Dr. Elliot Jacobs

• Elliot W. Jacobs, MD, FACS
  • Senior Moderator
    • Gynecomastia Surgery
If you have steroid-induced gynecomastia, you will probably need surgery to remove it.  Surgery, though, should be deferred until your breasts are quiet and no longer being stimulated.  This may require 2-3 months after you have quit steroids.  It would probably be safe to have the surgery at that time.  Waiting for the gland to become smaller is certainly your choice -- but most often the gland does not get smaller by itself.

Dr Jacobs
Dr. Jacobs 
Certified: American Board of Plastic Surgery
Fellow: American College of Surgeons
Practice sub-specialty in Gynecomastia Surgery
4800 North Federal Highway
Boca Raton, Florida 33431
561  367 9101
Email:  dr.j@elliotjacobsmd.com

Offline Aero360

After stopping steroid, is there anything I can do to make my glands smaller before having surgery? Like any drugs?
I thought once you stop steroid, you lose both your extra muscle and extra glands, is it?

• Senior Moderator
    • Gynecomastia Surgery
That is the main problem in taking steroids.  The steroids can induce breast tissue to grow (as a side effect of the steroids) but once the tissue has grown, it does not reduce by itself -- even if the steroids are stopped.  That is why surgery is often required.  There are no drugs to take that will effectively reduce the tissue once it has grown and is established. 

Dr Jacobs

Offline Aero360

I notice that most doctors leave a small amount of gland under the nipples so it doesn't get inverted. Will that small amount of gland grow bigger if I continue to use steroid, and I will have to get surgery again?

• Senior Moderator
    • Gynecomastia Surgery
Yes, most doctors will leave a small amount of gland directly under the areola to support it after surgery.  Indeed, this actually recapitulates the normal male condition, in which all men have a small amount of gland present.  No gyne surgery removes every last cell of breast tissue -- if this were to be done, the patient would be mutilated.

Thus, if you were to continue steroids after successful gyne surgery, it is the remaining gland tissue that could re-grow and you would require additional surgery to remove it.  Most guys who develop gyne while doing steroids are wise enough not to do it again after gyne surgery.

Dr Jacobs

Offline sawyer

• Silver Member
basically, quit steriods.
why use them in the first place would be my question....... being born with this is shit enough, but giving yourself it :S completely fazes me

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024