Author Topic: Went to the doctor and...(dont know if good or bad)  (Read 4305 times)

Offline scousered45

• Posting Member
and couldn't find a gland ??? said it was just fat :-\

dont know if good or bad, he checked thoroughly though.

I have had my gyno since 11 or 12 but have never been fat anywhere else, just puppy fat. Im about 6 foot and weigh about 154pounds (I think).

He said he would speak to a surgeon.

Though i have always eaten a lot and exercised and hear chest fat is (very) hard to burn off. If i was guided what i needed to do to burn of chest fat physically i would do it as im sure most on here would, though i would do surgery as a last resort.

I started running but it made little difference though i only kept that up for a bit and still ate a lot. I thought i was 'flogging a dead horse' but if im told it is only fat ill do it.

by the way, how do i check for the gland myself to make sure?

Offline outertrial

There are three different types of gyne.

1. Gland only, this is fairly easy to spot on sight as the breast area and nipples  will be distended and it will look obvious that theres a mass under there pushing the skin out. This can usually be confirmed  by palpation as it doesnt feel the same as the rest of the subcutaneous tissue.

2. Fat only, no gland can be felt it just appears that your body has decided to store fat in your chest.

3. Fat and gland. Sometimes the gland can be felt as a solid  lump amongst the fat sometimes it cant. There can even be enlarged tendrils of gland spreading over the pectoral area that dont readily  show up in 'touch tests' if theyre buried in fat deposits.

The bad news is that if youre not overweight then it doesnt really matter which of the above you have. There is  no way to target fat loss from a specific part of your body. You can make yourself underweight and fat gyne will lessen a bit but its no long term solution.

The good news is that, again, if youre a normal body weight it doesnt really matter which kind you have  so you dont need to spend any more time worrying about it. If youre in your teens you should ait to see if the end of puberty resolves the problem (and it does for many). If youre carrying some excess pounds you should try to drop them to see it if helps. Otherwise you should get some blood work done to determine that there are no underlying conditions causing your gyne and then look into surgery. Be sure to choose a surgeon who will look for and perform excision on any gland mass if they find it.  Dont go for a lipo only surgeon; obviously they cant take out gland if there isnt any there but they should be ready to remove it if they find it.

Offline scousered45

• Posting Member
There are three different types of gyne.

1. Gland only, this is fairly easy to spot on sight as the breast area and nipples  will be distended and it will look obvious that theres a mass under there pushing the skin out. This can usually be confirmed  by palpation as it doesnt feel the same as the rest of the subcutaneous tissue.

2. Fat only, no gland can be felt it just appears that your body has decided to store fat in your chest.

3. Fat and gland. Sometimes the gland can be felt as a solid  lump amongst the fat sometimes it cant. There can even be enlarged tendrils of gland spreading over the pectoral area that dont readily  show up in 'touch tests' if theyre buried in fat deposits.

The bad news is that if youre not overweight then it doesnt really matter which of the above you have. There is  no way to target fat loss from a specific part of your body. You can make yourself underweight and fat gyne will lessen a bit but its no long term solution.

The good news is that, again, if youre a normal body weight it doesnt really matter which kind you have  so you dont need to spend any more time worrying about it. If youre in your teens you should ait to see if the end of puberty resolves the problem (and it does for many). If youre carrying some excess pounds you should try to drop them to see it if helps. Otherwise you should get some blood work done to determine that there are no underlying conditions causing your gyne and then look into surgery. Be sure to choose a surgeon who will look for and perform excision on any gland mass if they find it.  Dont go for a lipo only surgeon; obviously they cant take out gland if there isnt any there but they should be ready to remove it if they find it.

thanks

by the look of things i have the bit highlighted in bold. Is there any underlying way of finding out if there is a gland? like an x-ray or something for example.

cheers again, please reply

Offline outertrial

Some people have been referred for mammograms. I dont know much about these but I understand from previous posts that their efficiency in determining the presence of relatively small amounts of gland in male gynecomastia sufferers is unclear.

Some people think that they can feel fibrous ridges in the tissue that could be gland if you push the skin against the muscle.  In any case experienced surgeons say that they arent able to tell for sure how much, if any, gland there is until theyve opened you up to have a look.  Theres no way to tell with any certainty yourself.

Offline Grandpa Bambu

• 31 Year Gynecomastia Victim...
Dose it really matter if it's gland, fat, or a combination of the two?

If it bothers you, get it fixed.  ;)

GB
Surgery: February 16, 2005. - Toronto, Ontario Canada.
Surgeon: Dr. John Craig Fielding   M.D.   F.R.C.S. (C) (416.766.8890)
Pre-Op/Post-Op Pics

Offline DrCALOCA

• Posting Member
    • www.gynecomastiamexico.com
There is always gland below your nipple and areola. Differences in anatomy make this tissue vary in volume, but it is always there. This tissue is usually not removed with liposuction alone and an excision technique is necessary when we want to remove gland. The typical case of a glandular problem is "Puffy Nipples".
Dr.Dr.Jaime Caloca Jr.
Board Certified Plastic Surgeon
(619) 734-2290 -www.drcaloca.com

Offline Grandpa Bambu

There is always gland below your nipple and areola. Differences in anatomy make this tissue vary in volume, but it is always there.

So, if everyone has some degree of gland, then there is no such thing a 'Pseudo Gynecomastia' (without gland). Correct?

GB

Offline DrCALOCA

• Posting Member
    • www.gynecomastiamexico.com
Correct. I actually do not use the term Pseudogynecomastia. It is a term rarely used in the medical literature anyway. Either there is or is not gynecomastia. The best definition is that given by the patient. If the patient feels he has the condition and I as a physician see that there is fat or gland, then I agree with the existance of the condition. If a patient feels he has the condition, but there is practically no tissue (fat or gland) then the condition is not present. There is always gland present, but it is not always of volume sufficient to make a male chest look feminine.

Offline Grandpa Bambu

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024