Author Topic: How much does Human Fat Weigh?  (Read 8563 times)

Offline 4tuneit1

• Bronze Member
Trick question? Lol...

Seriously i was wondering what say 300cc of liposuctioned human fat/fluids weighed??? Since the density would be not totally liquid/solids?

Offline STILLgotIT

• Gold Member
  • Finally gyne-free
1 pound of fat weighs about 1lb.  ;D

Offline 4tuneit1

• Bronze Member
1 pound of fat weighs about 1lb.  ;D

Lol... But 300cc isn't 1lb is it?

And fat weighs more than plasma i would assume, since both are being taken out.  If we took 300cc of water a normal saline implant and weighed it...it would weigh less than 300cc filled with fat.  

1lb of bricks is one pound of bricks is the same as 1lb of feathers...:P

Offline Paa_Paw

• Senior Moderator
There are about 30cc per ounce of water.

Fat would have a lower density than water while body fluids would have a slightly higher density. The difference is slight, but enough that the fat would rise to the top. In either case, since 300cc is probably a rounded number, the variance is relatively insignificant.

What this all means is that 300cc is about 10 ounces or about 1 1/4 cups.

For people accustomed to using Metric measurements, the answer is even easier because 1cc of water weighs 1 gram. But then, people who are used to using that system of measure probably already know that.

As far as I know, we in the U.S. are about the only ones left using the archaic measurements of inches, ounces etc.
Grandpa Dan

Offline STILLgotIT

• Gold Member
  • Finally gyne-free

Lol... But 300cc isn't 1lb is it?

And fat weighs more than plasma i would assume, since both are being taken out.  If we took 300cc of water a normal saline implant and weighed it...it would weigh less than 300cc filled with fat.  

1lb of bricks is one pound of bricks is the same as 1lb of feathers...:P

Sounds like you're talking about density issues. From my understanding bodyfat is inconsistent in it's makeup. Some might have more water, etc.

What I do know is that 3500 excess calories = 1 lb of fat. That helps for dietary concerns.

Offline moobius

• Gold Member
Int J Obes Relat Metab Disord. 1994 Feb;18(2):79-83. Related Articles, Links  

Adipose tissue density, estimated adipose lipid fraction and whole body adiposity in male cadavers.

Martin AD, Daniel MZ, Drinkwater DT, Clarys JP.

School of Human Kinetics, University of British Columbia, Vancouver, Canada.

Lipid and water together typically make up more than 90% of the body's adipose tissue mass. Although some reports have shown that the fraction of lipid in adipose tissue is greater in obese people than in lean ones, the quantitative relationship between adipose lipid fraction and overall adiposity of the body has never been investigated. We dissected six male unembalmed cadavers and weighed all adipose tissue (range 9.7-25.7 kg), allowing the calculation of percentage adiposity as 100 x total adipose mass/body mass (range 17.8-43.9%). Adipose tissue volume was determined by hydrostatic weighing of all portions of the dissected adipose tissue. For the six cadavers, whole body adipose tissue density ranged from 0.925-0.970 g/ml. Based on a three-component model of adipose tissue (lipid, water and dry fat-free solids), an expression for lipid fraction, F, was derived. After assuming densities for adipose lipid (0.905 g/ml), water at 36 degrees C (0.997 g/ml) and the dry fat-free component (1.38 g/ml), the equation simplified to F = 6.256/D-5.912, where D is adipose tissue density (g/ml). Lipid fraction was then calculated for each of the six cadavers: the range (0.54-0.85) was in excellent agreement with published data. There was a significant correlation (r = 0.95, P < 0.005) between calculated lipid fraction and percentage adiposity. The regression equation predicting lipid fraction from percentage adiposity was y = 0.327 + 0.0124x. We conclude that the estimated fraction of lipid in human adipose tissue shows both a wide range and a strong positive linear relationship with overall body fatness.

PMID: 8148928 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024