Author Topic: anti-depressants??  (Read 4746 times)

Offline vishal_chauhan

• Bronze Member
  • Hello from Mumbai
hey guys,

am 1 month post op now. about 1yr 8 months back, i had taken some anti-depressants (dont remember the names though) for 3 wks under a psychiatrists guidance. i forgot to mention this to my plastic surgeon. i will tell him during my next follow-up, but i guess its too late since the op is already done.  

i am wondering if this would be a problem since anti depressants are found to cause gyno as a side effect.  

any suggestions?

thx in advance.

vishal

Offline vishal_chauhan

• Bronze Member
  • Hello from Mumbai

what concerns me is whether there are possibilities of recurrence.  :(

Offline John1984

• Bronze Member
  • Surgery done, all good
So, 1 year 8 months ago, you took antidepressants for 3 WEEKS?

Um, buddy, you really have nothing to worry about.  That's crazy!
I've been on antidepressants for 18 months now, and I had surgery last week.  I told my plastic surgeon about it and he said it's fine - the only concern being that as I'm 'clinically depressed', I might not be happy with the results  (as it turns out, I'm completely over-the-moon about them!)
I heard that Chlorpromazine can induce gyne.  It's an anti-psychotic drug, though in small doses it can be used as a tranqulizer.
But seriously if you took antidepressants for just 3 weeks all that time ago, for such a small amount of time...... that's a crazy thing to worry about.
Relax!
Surgery performed on 29th March by Mr. Mark Gittos
Pre-Op Pictures: http://uk.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/j0hn_1984/album?.dir=/91c8
Post-Op pictures coming as soon as I can work out how to use my camera

Offline vishal_chauhan

• Bronze Member
  • Hello from Mumbai

Offline jc71

• Wilma, grab the lotion, we're going to the beach!
vishal - SSRI antidepressants increase Serotonin which can decrease Dopamine which may increase prolactin, possibly resulting in gyne.  Since you've been off them for a while, i don't think you have any worries.

John1984 on the other hand, who knows.

Offline hypo

Depression is also a common side effect of being testosterone deficient.

The chemical imbalance in known to cause depression, another reason that highlights the need for hormonal investigations prior to surgery.

I am not saying that everyone who is depressed is testosterone deficient, of course not, if you are depressed it is more likely a separate issue from your gynecomastia.  

However I am saying that gynecomastia and depression are both associated conditions to testosterone deficiency (hypogonadism) and so many men who are both depressed and have gynecomastia may well have this hidden problem.

I know men who have been on anti-depressants for years prior to being diagnosed with testosterone deficiency.

For those men once testosterone was replaced with TRT they were no longer depressed and no longer required anti depressant medication.

Offline vinay_jadhav1978

• Posting Member
depression was more becoz of gyno. then i thot this is no way to live. i juist stopped using those.

Offline hypo

That was more of a general post/note for people Vishal/Vinay.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2005, 08:18:34 AM by hypo »

Offline hope1

• Posting Member
Guys - life can be tough, but beleive me from experience, I have lost a friend to anti-depressant - get off that shit ASAP. In the long run, it does more damage than good.

Offline Matthew

• Almost need a bra.
Hello,

I've also been on antidepressants and they have helped me to feel less depressed.
   The possible link to gyne is interesting, and I've also wondered about testosterone deficiency as factor in my depression.
   I would probably not have considered these links if not for this board. Thanks!

Matthew
« Last Edit: May 11, 2005, 02:33:02 PM by Matthew »

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024