Author Topic: Scars and the Sun?  (Read 2279 times)

Offline Trent032292

I have visible crescent scars from my gyne surgery. I was wanting a Dr.'s opinion and perhaps someones' opinion who has had experience.

Would a sun tan possibly help the appearence of my incisions (make them darker so they blend in with the skin)?  Or perhaps would achieving a darker skin tone help hide the signs of having work done?

My skin, especially my torso and chest, tans very easily but my neck area is prone to redness.  I wouldn't want my scars to become irritated and glow red, therefore becoming more noticeable than before.

I've read all sorts of articles and posts about questions similar to this.  The majority of responses say to use a sunscreen and keep the scars away from UV rays.  I thought that perhaps there may be an exception to the "rule".

Any helpful feedback would be appreciated.
Thanks, -T

Offline sunnyUK

• Posting Member
You need to wait 12 months before getting under the sun.

Offline Alchemist

• Gold Member
Hi Trent,

I'm a nudist and see lots of scars on lots of people for lots of reasons, from brand new to 20+ years old.  I can't say that the sun makes them any more obvious.  They are usually very visible, with tans or not, depending upon size up to 100 feet away.  My 20 year old gall bladder scar, about 4 inches long and pretty well matching skin color is visible at 100 feet if a person has good eyes. A 36 year old "monogram" on my leg that was from an injury is darker than surrounding skin and 3/16ths inches wide and is highly visible if anybody is looking at my lower leg. It too doesn't change. The sun makes no difference to it's visibility.  However, most scars are readily visible the rest of a persons life.  My scars are as visible after 3 months in the sun as they are at the beginning of the summer.  I don't use sunblock but I also don't lay out purposely to tan.  Follow post surgical instructions from your doctor regarding sun exposure. 

Offline jay adams

• Gold Member
How long has it been since you had surgery?

Offline Trent032292

It will be year April 26th

Offline jay adams

• Gold Member
Different people's skin react differently to scaring. I was going shirtless in the sun around six months after surgery. Just use some  sunscreen.

As far as scaring goes I used a scar care gel I bought at Walmart or rite aid. Sorry I can't remember the name.

Offline Dr. Elliot Jacobs

• Elliot W. Jacobs, MD, FACS
  • Senior Moderator
    • Gynecomastia Surgery
Most scars fade over a year -- but there are exceptions.

what can you do?  First, continue to use a high number (ie 30-60, the higher the better) sun block.

Consult a dermatologist and discuss possible use of lasers to face the scar.

Dr Jacobs
Dr. Jacobs 
Certified: American Board of Plastic Surgery
Fellow: American College of Surgeons
Practice sub-specialty in Gynecomastia Surgery
4800 North Federal Highway
Boca Raton, Florida 33431
561  367 9101
Email:  dr.j@elliotjacobsmd.com

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024