Author Topic: I am very sad, i feel like dying.  (Read 1592 times)

Offline Dghtx832

• Posting Member
Hello doctors. I am 4 months post-op and i am very sad with my results. I can't believe my chest turned out this way. I had a male mastopexy and gynecomastia removal 4 months ago and i never believed this would happen to me. Are these hypertrophic scars? My scars have gone from red to pinkish but have not yet flatten out. I am so afraid that they are keloids and that they will grow even more. My doctor injected me with kenalog 10 today. And we will see how it will work for the next few weeks. He is considering revision surgery if kenalog does not work. I am 22 years old and i dont know what to do. Please advice me.

Offline Litlriki

• Supporting Doctors
    • Dr. Silverman's Website
Sorry to read about your problem with the scars after your surgery.  It does appear that you have hypertrophic scars around the areolae, and these may improve over time.  I have had this happen in a couple dozen patients over the years, and in most cases, we've been able to get the scars to settle down in time with topical treatment (silicone gel, Cordran tape) and injections.  If they aren't improving, revision is possible, but your surgeon may want to choose an alternative closure technique to avoid skin sutures of any sort.  I don't know if you have history of keloid or hypertrophic scarring, but if not, it may be possible to get more acceptable scars in time. 
Good luck. 
Dr. Silverman, M.D.
Cosmetic and Reconstructive Plastic Surgery
29 Crafts Street
Suite 370
Newton, MA 02458
617-965-9500
800-785-7860
www.ricksilverman.com
www.gynecomastia-boston.com
rick@ricksilverman.com

Certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery

Offline Dghtx832

• Posting Member
Thank you so much for the reply Doctor. Im 22 years old and i always wanted gyno surgery since the age of 13, and honestly now i just wished i never had the surgery done. I feel and look terrible.
I remember reading somewhere else online about a different method of closing a surgical site in order to reduce tension, is there such a way? As i believe the tension around my areolas caused the scars. I had bothersome tension around the areolas ever since i first had my surgery, and i believe this is what caused the scars. How can i talk to my doctor about reducing skin tension around areola, as he is planning a scar revision in about 4 weeks.

Offline Litlriki

• Supporting Doctors
    • Dr. Silverman's Website
Tension shouldn't be excessive with a revision. But he can do a closure with a subcuticular stitch to avoid any stitches in the skin, which leave the "railroad tracks"around the scar. Your scar my still hypertrophy, but it would just be the line of the scar itself, and often that can be managed with topical agents and injections if needed. 

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024