Author Topic: Best time of year for surgery?  (Read 6264 times)

Offline fromsaint2sinner

• Posting Member
Obviously, most people say if its a sure thing that gynecomastia exists, get the surgery done ASAP.  I am currently 17 (noticed this problem around 12 or so), play varsity ice hockey from August through February, and going to be a senior in highschool.  But i have been wondering, when is the best time to get the surgery done so that i could be alright come summer time (next summer) to swim and such.  Thanks everyone!!

Offline b-boy

• Posting Member
April/May/June is possibly the best time for you but only based on your timing.

I'm seriously thinking about doing something about mine as I now have the summer (4 months) off (no uni). Possibly my last Summer with G! If only...

Offline Blitz

• Gold Member
  • Thank you Fielding
Of course it will depend on your schedule.  If you're playing hockey in the winter months, it sounds like you would have to at least take a month off if you have surgery at that time.  I'm getting mine done on July 13th and what I'm worried about is the hot weather while wearing the bandages that are mandatory with most doctors.  The summer heat plus the bandages will equal an uncomfortable situaiton.  I will be blasting the air condition every where I go.  

Offline wolfman

• keep fighting my friends
in the winter is the best time to get the op
i finally feel like im a man

Offline fromsaint2sinner

• Posting Member
thank you guys very much for the input.  My hockey season is usually over, at the very latest the first week of march.  More likely, based on the talent of the guys on our team, we will probably only make it into mid february, if not early.  Another Question:  For those whove had the surgery and or have set up a surgery date, what is the typical time lapse between consutation and surgery, also; typically speaking- how many consultations are there with surgeons?  Thanks again!

Offline wolfman

in my case it took about 4 weeks between consultation and surgery

Offline fromsaint2sinner

• Posting Member
Is it safe to say that's a pretty common consensus on the message board?  

Offline wolfman

it can take longer or shorter than 4 weeks it depends on the doc how many patince he has (good dam my englisch is bad)

Offline fromsaint2sinner

• Posting Member
I gotcha.  Thanks for everything.  Its gonna be tough to work up the courage to confront my parents about this, after keeping it all to myself for so long.  I mean, my case isnt even as bad as some of those that ive seen, but i feel like it wont get better for me so its something that ive gotta do.  Without these boards, im not so sure i would have ever thought about it.  Thanks again

Offline wolfman

good luck man i had my gyno for 17 years and i never told my parents about it. u are very brave if u got the guts to tell yours

Offline fromsaint2sinner

• Posting Member
To ease the embarresment, i just keep thinking to myself that there is nothing i did to myself to be given such a condition, but its something i dont want.  I kind of feel as though theres nothing left to hide only because its ME!  passed that point, its out of my control what kind of figure im given ya know?  But i think its time to fix it.

Offline puffynips0-

• Bronze Member
I'd say it depends on what your activities are going to be.

Time it so that it doesn't interfere with your hockey, or other events.

You know, you might need a month with the vest.

I'm getting mine in a few weeks, but I think I'll still be good for swimming this summer.

Offline fromsaint2sinner

• Posting Member
Ya, I wish i could say ide be good for swimming this summer.  I just can't afford it.  I would give anything i have right now to have the procedure done tommorow morning, literally.  Speaking of affording the surgery, what doctors are all of you going to see and how much are there rates?...i was also curious as to what you are telling your friends, family, etc. about the surgery

Offline fleetwd

• Silver Member
  • free as of 10-19-2004!! WOO HOO!
i had it done in october (right before winter kicks in) ... i was physically able to snowboard all winter, and had about 8 months before it was warm enough for "shirt off" weather.  perfection in my opinion.

Offline puffynips0-

• Bronze Member
Ya, I wish i could say ide be good for swimming this summer.  I just can't afford it.  I would give anything i have right now to have the procedure done tommorow morning, literally.  Speaking of affording the surgery, what doctors are all of you going to see and how much are there rates?...i was also curious as to what you are telling your friends, family, etc. about the surgery

I'm 32, so I pay my own insurance and haven't said a thing about it to my folks.  No need to.  My wife knows.

I think it costs about 3-5k but I might be way wrong.  Either way, the first approach is to try and have the insurance plan cover the surgery.  

Even if they don't, medical bills can sit for a long time before they are paid.    There is not interest on them.  And hospitals are always willing to work out comfortable payment plans.

Before worse comes to worse, you can apply for financial assistance firstly from the hospital, or secondly from the state, if you qualify and need it that badly.

If you're still hard up for the cash, and don't make your payments, and don't try and qualify for any financial assistance, it will go to a collection agency (that could be many months down the road after the surgery.)

Even at that point, before it shows up on your credit report, you might send the new collector a cease and desist letter.  If succsful (and they often are), the debt is returned to the hospital at half the cost.  It can not be raised again.

Having said all that, the best way to go is first have the money, and avoid all the hassle and paperwork and possibility of damagine your credit.

Just wanted to throw it all out there for information.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2005, 12:50:04 PM by puffynips0- »

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024