Author Topic: Tumescent technique and local anesthesia  (Read 3356 times)

Offline sampk

• Posting Member
I am researching some doctors to perfrom my surgery.  There is one doctor near where i live.  After speaking to him he said that he would use the Tumescent technique and local anesthesia.  Does anyone know about this technique?  Also, has anyone had surgery with local anesthesia?  From what I understand, I would be awake during the operation.  Would appreciate if anyone could shed some light on this matter.  Thank you.

Offline Preds

• Silver Member
I had it under General anestesia.  However I do know about local.  Hopefully local anestesia the doctor meant is local with sedation.  The local only means that the doctor numbs the area he or she is working on.  Like a dentist or if you have ever had a laceration and needed stitches.
 A local with sedation is same except the give you IV meds that put you into a "twilight".  Otherwords I don't give a s__t  medicine.  Most of the time you have an amnesia (spelling) effect as well and do not remember procedure.  You are awake as far as not completely put under( like with a tube down your throat) but sedated.  Thats the watered down version anyway.

Dr Bermant uses this technique and I would suggest you goto his website and research.  He is listed on here for doctors so its easy to find website.  Also he surfs and responds to threads on a regular basis.  Hope this helps
Post surgery
Got my shirt off right now!!!!! lol

Offline jc71

• Wilma, grab the lotion, we're going to the beach!
Dr. B says he hasn't used general in years.  Although it seems the majority do.  Eventhough you're heavily sedated, I wonder if the Dr.'s prefer general to reduce the chance of the patient moving during surgery.

Offline Preds

• Silver Member
My doctor, Dr. Jeffords stated that he preffered it but did not say why.  I assumed same as you and also thought they could be a little more aggressive and get more fat/gland if under general.  

Offline Allan7865

• Gold Member
I like the idea of being awake during my procedure, but a tube down your throught? Dam that wouldent feel very good.

DrBermant

I am researching some doctors to perfrom my surgery.  There is one doctor near where i live.  After speaking to him he said that he would use the Tumescent technique and local anesthesia.  Does anyone know about this technique?  Also, has anyone had surgery with local anesthesia?  From what I understand, I would be awake during the operation.  Would appreciate if anyone could shed some light on this matter.  Thank you.

I have not needed general anesthesia for my male chest sculpture for many years.  For my patients needing skin alone nipple reduction, I offer local anesthesia alone option.  With tumescent techniques, I have evolved a better system under local with heavy sedation.  Without the sedation, there are just too many possible problems.

Some surgeons use general with tumescent techniques. Some use general alone.  I found that general anesthesia can leave patients with a higher chance of nausea and discomfort after surgery.

Each surgeon has his / her preferences about anesthesia.  I typically use local with heavy sedation.  That is not general anesthesia, but the patient is not awake.  We use medications injected into an IV for this sedation.  That is how we help keep our patients comfortable for most types of gynecomastia chest sculpture.  Sedation itself is an art.  I will use local anesthesia alone when performing actual nipple reduction surgery.

You can find an extensive individual patients' experience with comfort and my Tumescent Technique Anesthesia for gynecomastia here.

If you prefer direct links to each of those discussions:

anesthesia and comfort in gynecomastia patient from California

anesthesia and comfort after revision gynecomastia surgery in patient from Hong Kong China

comfort and anesthesia in physician's son with gynecomastia

comfort and anesthesia in gynecomastia patient from Florida

comfort and anesthesia in gynecomastia patient from Illinois

comfort and anesthesia with gynecomastia patient from Texas

comfort after gynecomastia surgery with patient from Colorado

comparing comfort and anesthesia of my revision surgery with prior gynecomastia surgery in Florida

comfort and anesthesia in patient 4 hours from Richmond with gynecomastia

parent of teenage patient with gynecomastia commenting about comfort after surgery

comfort after gynecomastia revision surgery on patient from UK

comparing comfort of my revision surgery to prior gynecomastia surgery done in NY

I prefer to perform tumescent anesthesia with sedation over general anesthesia or local anesthesia alone for most types of male chest sculpture. We take the comfort of our patients very seriously. You can find a number of posts

Hope this helps,

Michael Bermant, MD
Learn More About Gynecomastia and Chest Sculpture

« Last Edit: November 02, 2007, 09:38:08 PM by DrBermant »

Offline rich19007

• Posting Member
I had general and there was no problem, including no sore throat.  I did have a case of constipation for a little while, but nothing serious.  One minute I was awake in the operating room and the next minute I was waking up in recovery. 

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024