Author Topic: Kenalog Shots for Scar Tssue  (Read 44913 times)

Offline Dr. Elliot Jacobs

• Elliot W. Jacobs, MD, FACS
  • Senior Moderator
    • Gynecomastia Surgery
If you are very physically active, it is quite possible that there could be some swelling as a result.  Best treatment is several hours of a tight compression garment.

There is no such thing as "good swelling" -- swelling is a response to activity, injury, etc.  It is common if your chest has not as yet healed completely -- but if it occurs, there is nothing wrong.

Dr Jacobs
Dr. Jacobs 
Certified: American Board of Plastic Surgery
Fellow: American College of Surgeons
Practice sub-specialty in Gynecomastia Surgery
4800 North Federal Highway
Boca Raton, Florida 33431
561  367 9101
Email:  dr.j@elliotjacobsmd.com

GynO_DuDe

Awesome replies Dr Jacobs very informative indeed.

Offline Bigchest123

• Bronze Member
im 5 weeks post up and im messaging daily already... i have high hopes of it going away but if the scar tissue does not go away how much do these shots cost becouse my surgeon is out of the country and i would rather jsut do it form a surgeon in New York becouse that is only 3 hours away

• Senior Moderator
    • Gynecomastia Surgery
My average fee is $250 for each session of kenalog injections (includes both sides). Again, if your original surgeon left gland, then the kenalog will not work.  Also, if there is a huge amount of scar tissue, then perhaps surgery and not kenalog is the way to go (too much kenalog injected at one time can have adverse effects on your entire body).  As you can see, every case is individual and decision for treatment is up to the treating surgeon.

Dr Jacobs

Offline saurabhp99

I had secondary surgery for some gland that my surgeon left about 7 weeks ago.  At first, the contour of my chest looked the way I wanted it to look, but of course, the hard scar tissue formed and it looks worse than before the secondary surgery.  I know that it will take time for the scar tissue to go away.  However, I'm worried about the size of my areolas.  The scar tissue still makes the areola expand as if I had gyno.  As the scar tissue goes away, will the size of the areola decrease too?  How long would it take to look normal?

• Senior Moderator
    • Gynecomastia Surgery
Tough to answer -- everyone is different.  Usually the areolar diameter will diminish as tissue is removed -- but only up to a certain point.  Best is to allow time for healing and perhaps consider kenalog injections at 3-4 months or more after your last surgery.

Dr Jacobs

Offline saurabhp99

What kind of activities am I limited to (if any) after I receive my Kenalog injections?

• Senior Moderator
    • Gynecomastia Surgery
The injections take about five minutes and there is no limitation of any kind after the injection.

The effects of the injection take a few days to begin and will continue for about 4-6 weeks.  Sometimes additional injections are needed.

Dr Jacobs

Offline ddrop

• Bronze Member
Is there  any danger that the injections can cause dents? I mean if they melt down too much tissue or something?

• Senior Moderator
    • Gynecomastia Surgery
Yes, there is a definite possibility of over-treatment.  That is why you should choose a doctor who is familiar with the method of administration and dosage of Kenalog. 

Many times, I will prefer to take it slow and bring the scar tissue down a bit at a time -- but this would require several injections at various intervals.

Dr Jacobs

Offline saurabhp99

I visited my plastic surgeon. He says i still have some scar tissue left and I really don't like the way it looks when I wear my shirts.  I asked him about Kenalog injections but he said that he doesn't want to do that because it can cause nipple discoloration.  Is this likely?  He said he would rather incise the remaining scar tissue out again (for the second time), but I really don't want that because I have a feeling the scar tissue will just come back.  Will Kenalog dissolve the scar tissue for good? 

• Senior Moderator
    • Gynecomastia Surgery
I disagree. I have used kenalog many many times and have not observed nipple discoloration (if it is injected properly).  Kenalog will dissolve scar tissue -- permanently. You may need more than one injection.  It is the better way to go, particularly if you have already had scar tissue excision.  Remember, any surgery, including surgery to remove scar tissue, will ultimately result in healing with more scar tissue.

Dr Jacobs

Offline ddrop

• Bronze Member
What if we recieve Kenalog and it turns out we didnt have scar tissue? Can it hurt our organism?

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024