Author Topic: How did anyone keep it a secret?  (Read 1972 times)

Offline nygiants92

• Posting Member
Just had my surgery a few days ago and the only people that know are my 3 immediate family members. With having to wear this vest for 6 weeks (Yes it's noticeable if I'm not wearing something really baggy or a jacket/coat), how did you maintain a social life? Did you basically live like a hermit for the month and a half? I'm trying to figure out how many excuses I'm going to have to make.

Offline Paa_Paw

• Senior Moderator
The best reply I have seen or heard was on this site several years ago.

It went like this: "Had a growth removed, benign fortunately, Thanks for your concern."

This is interesting because while it is intentionally misleading, it is actually the truth. Since it is the truth, You do not need to have a perfect memory and you can never be accused of lying. It is actually more information than many people are entitled to, but rarely would anyone press you for more details.

Years ago, When I was just a boy, my Grandmother told me that there are basically two kinds of people. Those who need no explanation and those who do not deserve an explanation. Since I am now a Great-Grandfather, that lesson came a long time ago but it is still true.
Grandpa Dan

Offline iconnect

• Posting Member

The best reply I have seen or heard was on this site several years ago.

It went like this: "Had a growth removed, benign fortunately, Thanks for your concern."

This is interesting because while it is intentionally misleading, it is actually the truth. Since it is the truth, You do not need to have a perfect memory and you can never be accused of lying. It is actually more information than many people are entitled to, but rarely would anyone press you for more details.

Years ago, When I was just a boy, my Grandmother told me that there are basically two kinds of people. Those who need no explanation and those who do not deserve an explanation. Since I am now a Great-Grandfather, that lesson came a long time ago but it is still true.

That's exactly what I've been saying, I also add that the growth was on my back and the vest compresses my back- which aids healing ;)

Offline Paa_Paw

• Senior Moderator
You are giving out way too much information. By saying the "Growth" was on your back the story turned into a lie while there was no reason to give the additional information. The problem with this is that for the rest of your life you will need to remember everyone you told the lie to and never change the story. There is a possibility of the lie becoming known at some time. I have actually worked for companies that would fire a person For less than this because the person was a known liar and could not be trusted. The lie will never go away.

I would never make an effective liar because I am too apt to speak spontaniously and you cannot blurt out a lie. Telling a fabricated story requires time to think.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2012, 02:44:15 AM by Paa_Paw »

Offline Showtime620

• Silver Member
"Had a cyst removed from my chest.  They needed to go in and remove the whole sac to ensure it wouldn't return.  The vest helps to compress the skin."   Most people just say: "Yuck" and then ask no more questions.

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024