Author Topic: The time is right?  (Read 4814 times)

Offline Pferdestärken

• Silver Member
  • Fixed 03/06/05 by the incredible Mr Paul Levick!
    • My Diary
We have just booked our family holiday, to Florida at the end of August. As I'm sure everyone knows, holidays are just the WORST times; even baggy shirts are revealing in the pool!

This is my five year olds first trip to Florida, and probably the last for some time unless the Lottery comes up trumps! I don't want anything to spoil it. I want to be able to do WetnWild and similar attractions without being self conscious.

The question, aimed particularly at Mr Levicks patients, is can I get the job done and get back to normal mobility between now and the end of August?

How long does it normally take to get a consultation from picking up the phone?
How long does it normally take between consultation and op?
How long does it take for the post op soreness and stiffness to subside (enough to be able to rough house with a five year old in the pool)?

The last may be a "piece of string" question I know, but I just want to get a feel for how folks have recovered generally to get a feel for it.

I know I should just ring Mr Levick and ask really, but ...
Pics | Op 3/6/05 Mr Paul Levick

Offline AJP

• Silver Member
Hi mate,

It took me about 2 weeks to get a consultation, and the op itself was about a month after that. I think! ??? ;D

Best thing to do before the obvious (phoning Levick) is to read through a few of the diarys; especially IT100's RRB's and Chorlton's. Search through the boards and you should find them easy enough.

It will answer a few questions I'm sure you have on your mind.

As a basic pointer - I had my op with Levick 23rd Feb, I'm still a bit lumpy and the incisions are still pink, but to be honest I don't think anyone would think "he's just been for an operation" unless they we're really looking. I looked good under T-Shirts more or less straight after surgery.

Best of luck.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2005, 06:27:10 AM by AJP »
Another happy Levick Lad.

Offline Pferdestärken

• Silver Member
    • My Diary
AJP - thanks, that's sounds positive. I'm sure I'd be getting a bit pink anyway under the Florida sun, so if thats all I'll have to worry about I'll be fine!

I guess I'm really just delaying picking up the phone, its a big step having never talked to anyone about this before, as I'm sure you know!

Offline doddy

• 06/04/2005.
Hey, do it NOW!

Just ask for a consultation etc, they'll then eventually ask "what's it for?", then when you say, they go "okay", and that's it.

Then at the consultation, it's not at all embarrassing. He has had it himself and knows what it's like.
etc.

Offline Chorlton

• Silver Member
  • Gyne removed by Mr Levick 2nd Feb 05
    • Before and After Surgery Pics
PS,

I ditto what has been said above.  You could have had the op by June and be a month and half in recovery by the time you are in florida.  Come on the Florida sunshine on your brand spanking new iron board flat chest.

Feel the fear but do it anyway! Pick up the phone now book a  consultation and then worry about the should I, should I not between now and the consultation.  The sooner you go the sooner the op - If you choose that route.

Good luck in your quest my child!

Chorlton
« Last Edit: April 19, 2005, 07:05:56 AM by Chorlton »

Offline sydneyc

• Posting Member
PS,

I can only mirror what the others have said. In my case, I picked up the phone 1 month ago and have the operation this Friday. I was able to get a cancellation appointment, but from the other dates, it seems a 4-6 week wait is typical between the consultation and the op. I can tell you that Levick carries out consultations on Mondays and Tuesdays and then carries out procedures on Thursdays and Fridays, I understand. He is currently making appointments for operations for the end of May (again, this was the response to me a week or so ago).

Regarding your other questions and concerns, I understand completely. As I sat talking to Levick about "it" I realised I had never spoken to anyone about it. It was terribly hard to utter the answer when he asked how long had I had it. It was as if I had to confront my denial of the last 25 years. Not easy, but strangely liberating. Very much the first step of the journey.

I am quite nervous about the procedure on Friday - not because of embarrassment, rather a general disliking of surgery! But at the same time, I am counting down the hours.

If there is anything else you need to know, don't hesitate to drop a message through.

Best

SC

Offline AJP

• Silver Member
Yeah, like the lads have said, just go for it PS. It gets easier and easier once you have made the phone call.

Sydneyc, good luck for the op - you'll be in good hands.

Offline shaggy-dude

• Posting Member

try not to worry about the surgery mate..

I have had a daughter since last time I went under an aneasthetic and there's nothing that gives you a feeling of mortality like having a child that depends on you.. I had a long hard think before I decided to go for it.

from the second the anseathstist guy walked in the room I felt at ease, he was a very likeable guy in his 50's, looked middle eastern/persian type origin possibly, he had me smiling in no time, I immediately felt a rapport and trust with the guy.

He was no different as he was sending me under had me laughing as I went and brought me out of it the best I've ever been out, no headache, no nausea, I felt like I'd had the best sleep for weeks :)
sorted by the "levickmeister" april 14th 2005
pics here
http://share.shutterfly.com/action/share/view?i=EeAN2jdw0ctHDiY

Offline Pferdestärken

• Silver Member
    • My Diary
Thanks everyone for the encouragement!

I'm ringing tomorrow.

SC - hope it goes well for you Friday, good luck.

Offline Pferdestärken

• Silver Member
    • My Diary
I pretty much know I have gyne, but I have posted some pics anyway - comments appreciated.

Pics are here :http://uk.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/puce_rhino/album?.dir=/5a96&.src=ph&.tok=phRI_2CBvDtUFCZH

Offline doddy

• 06/04/2005.
I think Levick could do a good job on you. ;)

Offline AJP

• Silver Member
Good man ps.

I'm sure you can imagine how good it feels to finally be rid of it. Just keep your mind on that, and it really is EASY.

The worst thing anyone who suffers from the emotional/social effects of gyne can do is to live in denial and not get anything done.

Good luck. :)

Offline Pferdestärken

• Silver Member
    • My Diary
I have an appointment with Mr Levick! Its 3 weeks away, and on Friday 13th, but I'm not superstitious. Touch wood.  ;D

Offline AJP

• Silver Member
There you go then.

The first hurdle is complete!

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024