Author Topic: Surgery may be an option...  (Read 1911 times)

Offline ThatOneGuy

• Posting Member
My parents' initial reaction to gyne surgery was "No." They wanted me to wait; to lose weight (even though I'd lost twenty pounds in two months and while everything has shrunk, the gyne has remained) or just deal with it.

They didn't seem to understand that gyne isn't just fat.

I'm overweight; but not that fat; at least not enough to warrant the huge manboobs I have.

I'm 240 lbs. of mostly muscle but with a fair bit of fat as well; I've also got a naturally large frame. If you didn't know me; you might think I was a football player. My grandpa has always said something along the lines of: "That's what you get in a German/Italian family."

I'm not a doctor, and my self diagnosis probably isn't as accurate as I'd like to believe, but if you ask me; it's quite obvious that I have moderate to severe gyne.

I mean, I have huge, lopsided puffy nipples, I can feel lumps behind my nipples. My nips are ultra-sensitive; all of that "fun" stuff.

So I finally talked to my mom about it again; expecting to be shot down immediately with a retort like "Your father and I have talked about this and we think you need to lose weight, blah blah blah."

But surprisingly, she listened to what I had to say. I told her the same old stuff and when I got to the sensitive nipples part, I went into detail with sensitive.

I can't wear certain fabric shirts sometimes because they irritate my nips and make them 'burn' so to speak.

I can't lay on my chest sometimes because the next day my moobs usually hurt.

If some not a nice person decides it's funny to give me a "Titty Twister" or "Scoop" me; I not only have to deal with the psychological pain, and the public embarrassment, but also the physical pain which is heightened by my damn moobs.

I haven't had a girlfriend in a year, and I've only had about three girlfriends altogether; I either don't have the confidence to even bother with girls, or I get shot down immediately.

Anyways, I told her all of this, and she said that she'd try setting up an appointment with the family physician first, and see where that goes.

It's not much, but it's a start.

On a side note, she's stated that she refuses to travel out of our city (Rochester, NY) to see any surgeons or otherwise; which poses a problem, as I'd hoped on seeing a more recognized surgeon rather than a local surgeon who; for all I know; might have never even heard of Gynecomastia before.

Of course, beggars can't be choosers, and as far as I know, I'm still not getting any support from my dad, so my mom would be providing the money for all of it (assuming I don't find a way to get it covered by insurance). I just hope everything works out; I want these gone so bad.

I've even considered self surgery. I mean, I was younger, and it was more of a fleeting "Wouldn't it be cool if..." thought, but the fact that I had that thought disturbs me.

Offline George Pope, M.D.

• Supporting Doctors
    • Orlando Plastic Surgery Center
Since you're limited to finding a surgeon in Rochester:
Here's a list of all of the board-certified plastic surgeons in Rochester, NY who are members of the American Society of Plastic Surgeons.  You should call each office and ask if the surgeon performs gynecomastia surgery, and if so, how frequently.  You should be able to get a pretty good idea of how experienced each is by the answer you receive over the phone.  Then just schedule appointments as you'd like.  You'll want to be comfortable with whomever you choose.  But you're starting in a good place if your mother is supportive AND you have a list of surgeons who are all board certified in plastic surgery.

Good luck-
Dr. Pope, MD

Jeffrey Gusenoff, MD
601 Elmwood Ave Box 661
Rochester, NY 14642

H. Raul Herrera, MD
1445 Portland Avenue Suite 101
Rochester, NY 14621

Howard Langstein, MD
601 Elmwood Avenue Box 661
Rochester, NY 14642

Jeffrey Fink, MD